Author Topic: [SOLVED] Network Configuration  (Read 2673 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Network Configuration
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:33:34 am »
I have my network set up as shown in the picture below. I've recently expanded the capability of LMCE system by adding VOIP and a laptop orbiter. While trying to make them work correctly, I've begun to doubt that my network is correctly configured. My DSL modem (Actiontec GT701D) and router (Linksys WRT54G) are very close to their default settings - all I did was set up the DSL modem by selecting PPPoA and entering a username and password. The trouble is that these two devices duplicate many functions. In the default configuration, both are gateways, and both perform DHCP and NAT functions. Although my internet has been working, it seems I've been double natting - apparently a common amateur error. I've been trying to fix this, but no two online articles give the same advice. I've been playing with settings and breaking my system in various ways (no internet, no VOIP, unable to use the laptop orbiter, etc...)

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? It seems that the DSL modem should be my gateway and firewall, and should have NAT and DHCP disabled. The Linksys router should do NAT and DHCP, and should have the gateway and firewall disabled. Do I need to bridge the devices?

twodogs

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:43:33 pm by twodogs »
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Network Configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:35:39 am »
Hi!
I would start attaching a laptop to the Modem without any WRT LMCE --> this is for test if you get to the internet.

-) So does the Modem give you an DHCP Adress on the LAN side (on the Laptop) ? If Yes Then DHCP on Modem is active
-) Does you Modem show a trained DSL line and did you configure pppoA correctly (VPI, VCI and user credentials) ? If yes then you should get into the WWW with you laptop

Then Attach the router on the modem
I guess the Router does have a WAN port and 4 LAN ports.
Connect the WAN port of the router to the modem
The WAN port should now be set to DHCP Client, NAT is set to NO (the modem already is doing NAT - or even PAT) - The router should route - thats what he is done for.
On the linksys Router you can enable DHCP Server on the LAN side (and automatically on WiFi)
Now attach you laptop on one of the LAN interfaces of the routfr and check if you get an IP Adress of the router and if you can connect to the WWW.
If yes, then attach the LinuxMCE Server and everything should be fine.

Except - All attached devices to WLAN will still be on the EXTERNAL side of LinuxMCE!!
You can purchase another WiFi AP, with a different SSID and attach this ne on the GE Switch.

cheers
Roman

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Network Configuration
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »
I believe I have things set up correctly and working in bridge mode. My modem is performing only the modem function, and no routing functions. The router now performs the PPPoE, DHCP, NAT, and firewall functions. The configuration changes are...

Actiontec DSL Modem - Change from "PPPoE" to "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging"
Linksys wireless router - Change from "Automatic Configuration (DHCP)" to "PPPoE" and enter username/password for the internet service provider. DHCP, NAT, and firewall are enabled by default.

I turned the LMCE firewall off to allow it to communicate with my wireless router on the external LAN. My VOIP works, as does my laptop orbiter. General download speeds are the same, but websites seem to load much quicker. Progress is good!

twodogs
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:45:11 pm by twodogs »
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma