Author Topic: qOrbiter build  (Read 13662 times)

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
qOrbiter build
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:51:05 am »
Hello.

I'm trying to get a clean build for the qOrbiter using qt creator.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something silly, my C++ is not great.

I'm on 64 bit ubuntu 11.10.  I've downloaded the latest source (following the wiki page), generated the device and set up QT Creator as in the wiki.

I've selected the 'for_desktop' config.
I've tried with QT (64 bit shipped with QT Creator) 4.7.4 and 4.8.0 with the same result.

On build/ Run, I then get a compile error in DataGrid.cpp.

../../DCE/DataGrid.cpp: In constructor ‘DCE::DataGridTable::DataGridTable()’:
../../DCE/DataGrid.cpp:336:26: error: cannot call constructor ‘DCE::Message::Message’ directly [-fpermissive]
../../DCE/DataGrid.cpp:336:26: error:   for a function-style cast, remove the redundant ‘::Message’ [-fpermissive]
make: *** [DataGrid.o] Error 1

Commenting that line lets me proceed a little further, whereupon I get :-

/usr/bin/ld: qorbitermanager.o: undefined reference to symbol 'QAbstractSocket::isValid() const'
make: Leaving directory `/home/david/Development/Source/opensource/linuxmce1004/src/qOrbiter/build-output'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'QAbstractSocket::isValid() const' is defined in DSO /home/david/Apps/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/4.8.0/gcc/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4 so try adding it to the linker command line
/home/david/Apps/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/4.8.0/gcc/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [qOrbiter] Error 1
The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
Error while building project qOrbiter_src (target: Desktop)
When executing build step 'Make'

Any ideas?

If its the 64bitness, I might have to investigate running 32bit versions of the qt libs.

Cheers,

David.

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: qOrbiter build
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:58:57 am »
I setup a system week or 2 ago as well with same results. Not got back to it yet but had presumed pebkac but maybe not?

BTW I'm running 32bit

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:35:54 am »
I setup a system week or 2 ago as well with same results. Not got back to it yet but had presumed pebkac but maybe not?

BTW I'm running 32bit

Ive only built on 32 bit to this point, I would recommend trying that 1st

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

apagg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:54 am »
Have you tried removing one of the "::Message" at that line? If i remember right that worked for me.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »
Working now.  here is what i needed
  • fresh install of kubuntu 10.04 in a VM (32 bit)
  • Fresh SVN (no updates needed)
  • Fresh download of QT Creator (32 bit) with QT 4.7.4

So, I'm running it in a VM.  Not ideal, but hey ho.

The core is currently generating screens for it.  I thought this would no longer be necessary?  Or is that my mistake?

It'd be cool if the whole orbiter generation thing wasn't needed any more, just be told the layout and render it on the device.

David.

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:03 pm »
After a little play, the UI is much prettier!  Even he UI1-alike is nice, clean and usable (the text fits in the boxes!!)

So, where is best to start looking to contribute to this?

David.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »
If it helps any, i have built on 64 bit ubuntu with no problems. i didnt do anything different than on any other machine ive setup.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 05:49:58 pm »
After a little play, the UI is much prettier!  Even he UI1-alike is nice, clean and usable (the text fits in the boxes!!)

So, where is best to start looking to contribute to this?

David.

Which part are you looking to work on? There is lots of c++ work to do and  lots of design work to do to finish the screens. Any particular part you were interested in contributing to?

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 05:52:38 pm »
Working now.  here is what i needed
  • fresh install of kubuntu 10.04 in a VM (32 bit)
  • Fresh SVN (no updates needed)
  • Fresh download of QT Creator (32 bit) with QT 4.7.4

So, I'm running it in a VM.  Not ideal, but hey ho.

The core is currently generating screens for it.  I thought this would no longer be necessary?  Or is that my mistake?

It'd be cool if the whole orbiter generation thing wasn't needed any more, just be told the layout and render it on the device.

David.

Well this is one quandry. QOrbiter doesnt need the core to generate screens, but because its an orbiter, code deeper in the system flags is for a regen. You can generally ignore the request to regen the orbiter screens if you know its wanting to do it for a QOrbiter as it does its own orbiter generation, which is a lot faster. Looking to get rid of the message, but its one of those things that falls under details atm and not core functionality.

-golgoj4

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »
Which part are you looking to work on? There is lots of c++ work to do and  lots of design work to do to finish the screens. Any particular part you were interested in contributing to?

-golgoj4

I do web based dev in my day job, java on the server and lots of javascript type stuff on the clients (including a fair amount of GUI design)

My C++ is pretty ropey, I think I'd just cause problems, but I'm willing to help out there if its wanted (probably as QA/ tester)

I'm probably best off looking into the QML/ design aspects I think.

I can probably do some system tech documentation as well if you'd like (I can read C++ well enough for that)

David.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »
I do web based dev in my day job, java on the server and lots of javascript type stuff on the clients (including a fair amount of GUI design)

My C++ is pretty ropey, I think I'd just cause problems, but I'm willing to help out there if its wanted (probably as QA/ tester)

I'm probably best off looking into the QML/ design aspects I think.

I can probably do some system tech documentation as well if you'd like (I can read C++ well enough for that)

David.

No worries, we need folks to take a look at my superbad qml to look for ways to improve it / abstract things so that multiple skins can interact effectively. Currently, the skinning engine seems to be holding up, but im sure there is room for improvement. My recommendation would be to play around with qml and get to know it. There is still the rather large task of documenting the skinning api so that we can provide skin designers with an document that shows the various functions available and how to interact with them.

-golgoj4

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »
No worries, we need folks to take a look at my superbad qml to look for ways to improve it / abstract things so that multiple skins can interact effectively. Currently, the skinning engine seems to be holding up, but im sure there is room for improvement. My recommendation would be to play around with qml and get to know it. There is still the rather large task of documenting the skinning api so that we can provide skin designers with an document that shows the various functions available and how to interact with them.

-golgoj4

Grand.  I've got thursday/ friday mostly free this week, so I'll spend some time then do that.

David.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:01:46 am »
if you can pop into irc, its a great way to interact with the people that work on this thing :)

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:20:52 am »
Ive only built on 32 bit to this point, I would recommend trying that 1st

golgoj4

I was running 32bit but 11.10. Anyway rebuilt from scratch using 10.04 and all seems to be working.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 05:08:35 am »
I notice there is a qorbiter choice in the drop down in web admin. Can I choose this for shits and giggles? How's the functionality? Id be glad to provide some feedback.