Author Topic: Several Installation Installation Issues on LMCE MDs  (Read 3110 times)

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Several Installation Installation Issues on LMCE MDs
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »
Greetings to the LMCE community from a new user!
I am new to LinuxMCE and new to this Forum. I tried to help myself with readings but
now it is mandatory to ask you to get forward in using his great Solution!

To my Setup
I am running a Hybrid Core/MD with LMCE version 8.10 and want to run up to 3 Laptops as MDs diskless.
The Core is pretty new Hardware (AMD Phenom II X4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX560, ...)
Also the latest NVIDIA Driver is working with the core.
It was a little tricky at the beginning but meanwhile the Core installation runs smooth and is also running great!

The installation script on the core (before beeing able to attach Diskless MDs is also working from the first try).

My problems are related to the MDs I want to setup and there on the Graphics part.
I have the folowing Laptops (pretty old ones but they are running well - normaly with ubuntu)

1.) Dell Latitude D600
Graphic ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000,

2.) Lenovo R61
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile x3100

3.) HP 8510p
Graphic ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600

All three Laptops are booting diskless from the Core.
The lenovo and the HP are coming up with the AV Wizard. After the AV Setup they are rebooting
and come up normally BUT the UI2 userinterface is flickering like hell.

The DELL D600 boots up without coming to the AV Wizard and stating an X- Error

My first question to you is if there are any people oyut there using the same Hardware on MDs and got it working?

My second question is related to any suggestions you make please explain how you can log into a MoonXX via SSH? Not the access via SSH is the problem but I have no username and password for the samba-helper which always asks me for user and password when I log into one of the Media Directors. Neither the credentials of the KUBUNTU user works nor the credentials of the LMCE user I set up. Please be patient with me and explain it step by step what I have to do to log into the MDs console. Thank you!!

My third question comes directly to the graphics problem.
I read many pages on the Wiki and the forum but there are sometimes to many different informations for me. Can you please help me in figuring out if there is a driver or even just a configuration change for the graphic chip built in the Laptops and how to install them corretly so that I do not destroy anything in the LMCE image?
The Dell will not evcen come up with the AV Wizard. Do you have any suggestions for me here?

My fourth and last question is related to the kernel of the core
Is it useful to update the kernel?
I have a DVB-T USB Stick (Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick) which I would like to attach as TV Source but the default kernel of Kubuntu 8.10 seems not supporting this Stick. In Ubuntu 11.10 it runs "plug and play".
I updated the kernel already on the Core once. The guide for this was on lmce Wiki for Upgrading_the_Kernel
I upgraded to 2.6.32.8 which worked for the Linux part but the linuxMCE did not work anymore.
Are there any suggestions from your side for upgrading the kernel? Do you think it is useful regarding the DVB-T and the Grafic problems?

Uhhhh there is one left ;-)
Can you post your working sources.list file for 8.10?
On "sudo apt-get update" I always get errors

I hope my questions are well explained and I would be very thankful for your suggestions and recommendations.
Thank you so much in advance for you help!

very best regards
Roman

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Several Installation Installation Issues on LMCE MDs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »
If I want to get answers to specific question, I do not dump a whole storybook, but create a thread for each specific problem....

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »
For your laptop MD's set them to UI 1 static and cross your fingers..... then consider replacing them.

For ssh to moonxx

do that from the core as sudo and you wont have the samba password issue.

Tim

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:00:22 am »
Hi Tim!
Thank you very much for the hint to go via ssh from the core to the MoonXX.
It worked without getting the samba credential problem!

I splitted the questions in this thread in sepperate ones.

very best regards
Roman

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »
Hi Tim!
The Lenovo R61 with Intel Graphic Card and the HP 8510p with ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600 do indeed work with UI1 without any flicker!!!
Great hint!

Unfortunately the DELL D600 with ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 always comes up with an X Error - means it does not even start the AV Wizard.

Thank you so far for your help!!!

very best regards
Roman