Author Topic: XBMC as frontend - probably been asked  (Read 8368 times)

marcb

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
XBMC as frontend - probably been asked
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:51:31 am »
Hello,

I am going to start by saying i am a daydreamer i am not a programmer these are just my thoughts.... and i am a short time linuxmce user but long long time xbmc user. and also the last thread mentioning xbmc ended up not talking about xbmc but licencing so didn't want to drag that post up now then...

I am thinking the time is right to start looking at using XBMC as an optional front end for linuxmce, with how its developing it seems logical. With openelec and atv2 you can have an appliance like front end for £99-£170. With the work thats already been done on the pvr side, mythtv plugin is a reality. so all we really need is a little integration.  xbmc will broadcast events which event ghost can pick up could linuxmce pick up those events? There is an api which has been briefly discussed in another post so controlling xbmc from the linuxmce/dianemo android or ios app is possible... It would be nice to have a xbmc plugin that gave you some control over lights climate, camera feeds ect. There is already a asterisk plugin for xbmc maybe adopting that with the knowledge its going to be working with linuxmce so set up is alot easier....or.... in my head we have our own branch that uses the pvr build and extends on it...just daydreaming

xbmc as a front end is eye candy with the right skin, add to that the vasy number of plugins available groove shark, ice films , iplayer not forgetting it will play (virtually) anything. If linuxmce could add to that the linuxmce great backend then i think it can only be good for this community.

Because xbmc pvr builds are getting more and more popular lots of people are experimenting with backends vdr, mythtv, media portal, tvheadend, 4therecord being most popular, if people are installng a linux machine on network for tv then why not linuxmce and get more bang for the 400w power supply? All they need to be tempted over is some extra integration that linuxmce would give over just running vdr and asterisk on a box. I think everyone would agree what this project needs is more people engaged, they need a reason to be engaged more integration between xbmc and linuxmce would do that, as that would give them what they want (what i want) a nice slick frontend on low power low noise devices, and a powerfull backend that opens the doors to all kinds of possiblities, you always read on other forums:

"yeah looked into linuxmc it seems the best by far but the front end looks cr@p"

and that is the problem linuxmce has at the moment to attract people it all about the front end as at the end of the day what do you spend... well not you (you probably spend your time staring at the backend) your family what do they spend their time staring at....a dated  frontend.  

I think by the time eden arrives with binary plugins and already a working cec usb controller for xbmc, other companies will set up selling appliance xbmc with zwave ect

Would be interested to know if this is even a possibility somewhere on the horizon?.....and also what are other users opinions on this? do you use the linuxmce frontend to view mediaand or watch live tv? (I don't)

As i say just my thoughts ........keep up the good work. ;D

If it is a possibility i would be willing to donate to the cause.

Regards

Marc

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:20:57 am by marcb »
Thanks in advance

Regards

Marc

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: XBMC as frontend - probably been asked
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15:30 am »
we are working on our own eye candy as its just that, eye candy and doesnt bring much on other fronts. Also, Im not really interested in tying the popularity of LinuxMCE to xbmc.

As far as people referring to it looking like crap. Well that fine until we make it not look like crap. And frankly, ive been using linuxmce as a front end for years now and the ui may not be pretty, but it does what I want. My experiences with XMBC were quite the opposite. Pretty yes, but needing to configure every last thing and the general slowness of the ui meant it wasnt long for my box.

I appreciate your concern, but xmbc integration brings little to the table besides people who wont contribute anyways. Because if they were going to, it seems like UI would not be a limiting factor.

I am curious to know how you use the automation related functions on Linuxmce if your aren't using a front end. Tablets? Phones? Since i use the onscreen ui most of the time, I don't really know the different options that people are using.

just my cents
-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: XBMC as frontend - probably been asked
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:24:50 pm »
A few simple words to the original poster: Forget it.