Author Topic: graphic driver problem/question on Media Directors (ATI and Intel) LMCE 8.10  (Read 3893 times)

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Dear Community!
I was asked to open seperate Topics in the forum for my questions and I will follow this recommendation of course.

In the moment I run a core/hybrid with LMCE version 8.10 and want to run up to 3 Laptops as MDs diskless.
The core is running great.

My problems are related to the MDs I want to setup and specifically on the Graphic driver part.
I have the folowing Laptops (pretty old ones but they are running well - normaly with ubuntu)

1.) Dell Latitude D600
Graphic ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000,

2.) Lenovo R61
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile x3100

3.) HP 8510p
Graphic ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600

Problem:
All three Laptops are booting diskless from the Core.
The Lenovo and the HP are coming up with the AV Wizard. After the AV Setup they are rebooting
and come up normally BUT the UI2 userinterface is flickering like hell.

The DELL D600 boots up without coming to the AV Wizard and stating an X- Error with a blue console background.

Question:
I read many pages on the Wiki of LMCE and the forum but there are sometimes to many different informations for me. Can you please help me in figuring out if there are specific drivers for my Laptops needed fo be installed on the Media Directors?
or
Are there any configuration hints/tricks in the xorg.conf per Laptop to be done?

I would highly appreciate your recommendations/experiences/comments here.

Thank you very much and very best regards
Roman

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hi Community!

Perhaps this information is worth for somebody out there.

The Lenovo R61 with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile x3100 AND the HP 8510p with an Graphic ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600 work with UI1 settings in the AV Wizard! I had heavy flicker and this disappeared.

Unfortunately the Dell Latitude D600 with an Graphic ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 still does not work.

Does anyone have an Idea how to get the Radeon 9000 to work with LinuxMCE 8.10 ?

Thank you and best regards
Roman

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
ATI and Intel graphics are a gray area for us, i will point you to this thread as someone is trying to remedy this.
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12175.0.html

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Hi...

Follow the link provided above, replace your cores /usr/pluto/bin/Utils.sh with the code supplied there, and your ATI/Intel drivers should install correctly and work.

UI2 on Intel is problematic, esp on 810. I am working on it. I do not know if it will be resolvable in 810 due to its status. However I am looking to enable VAAPI in 1004.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Thank you for the hint!
I will try this in the next days and will provide feedback.

One detail question is left on my side due to the fact that all MDs are Diskless and boot over the network from the core.

Should I replace the "Utils.sh" in the MD directory of the specific MoonXX on the core or should I replace the file on the MD when he booted from the core?
I do not know if there is a difference and if changes made on any file on the booted MD is then written back into the files on the core.

Thank you and best regards
Roman

l3mce

• View Profile
It is a good question.

I created all of my test MDs after changing on the core, so surely they were written to the MD directory from the core at that creation... If you do not wish to delete your MDs and start from scratch, then I would say yes. You will want to change it and copy it to each existing MD.

hint- all of this can be done on the core after initial change by copying the following:

Code: [Select]
cp /usr/pluto/bin/Utils.sh /usr/pluto/diskless/XX/usr/pluto/bin/Utils.sh
where XX is your moon number.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:34:25 am by l3mce »

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Here is my feedback.
Unfortunately it did not work.
- I changed the code in the core file
- Then I deleted the specific MD on the Dell Latitude D600 via Web Admin of LMCE
- I rebooted the core (just to be sure)
- Then I started the Dell D600 to boot from network
- Dell subscribed successful to the core
- Installation files were created on the core
- As soon as the Dell D600 wanted to reboot I stoped that (turned off)
- I copied the utils.sh file from the core to the moonXX directory
- I booted up the MD
- MD comes up with the Kubuntu splash screen
- AVWizard --> Failed to setup X

Any Ideas? Any log files useful? Any... whatever ? ;-)

thank you and best regards
Roman

l3mce

• View Profile
Please see the other thread. Thank you very much.