Author Topic: raspberry pi  (Read 50197 times)

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
Re: raspberry pi
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 08:40:36 am »
@phenigma can you please share info on how you managed to compile and install lmce on Raspberry Pi ?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »
Perhaps some meeting here would be beneficial to set up an official build server for ARM packages, as a starting point.

-Thom

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »
@phenigma can you please share info on how you managed to compile and install lmce on Raspberry Pi ?
see his post here - http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12606.msg90675.html#msg90675

-Coley.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:41 pm »
Thanks for pointing valent to that Coley.  I'll be happy to try and answer questions.

The biggest challenge to building the system was the database, the entire build system (as is) relies on the database knowing all the required packages and distro specific information.  My initial build is a hack at the database, I manually altered an existing distro in the database to reflect the values I needed to build the system on debian squeeze.  This of course is not something I can sqlCVS submit to the central database as it would bork current builds.  If I could walk the database a little better with a visual tool of somekind then I could 'duplicate' an existing distro, alter values where required and submit through sqlCVS.  This has been done for each upgrade of LMCE so far 0710->0810->1004, etc...  I'm just not very fluent in database administration.  Perhaps someone who has done this in the past would have some insights into how best to approach this.  I managed to do most of the setup/database/and build in about 2 weeks, solid evenings and a long weekend.

It *should* be 'easier' to build using a newer build system, I believe possy is working on one, but I'm not sure how far that is away.  So for now the database is still required.

I find the build system is fairly easy to work with and manipulate once you understand the relevant portions of the packaging portion of it.  It would be easier with a tool to edit the build database on a builder.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:07 pm »
Perhaps some meeting here would be beneficial to set up an official build server for ARM packages, as a starting point.

-Thom

Good idea Thom.  As a start, so that it could be built by others: Do you have any suggestions/insights/recommendations as to how best to add a new distro to the database?  I know you have been involved (or perhaps the primary) in adding ubuntu 1004 to the database.  I know there is a move away from the database to a simpler build system but it looks a little ways off to be usable just yet.

J.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »
I can help with this, perhaps it might be better to stop by the -devel channel in IRC, but basically:

* an entry needs to be added to the Distro table. This must be done manually with an INSERT INTO Distro ... command in mysql
* each package in the Software > Packages screen must have a package source added to them. For upstream non-linuxmce packages, this must be a separate source (look at, for example, any package without a manufacturer (the ones at the top.)... For LinuxMCE packages, you need to add a compatibility record in the Packages section.

The package database is literally a database on top of whatever package system that the target system is using. Right now, we have package entries and scripts for Debian derived distributions.

It is split into two separate programs, MakeRelease and ConfirmDependencies, they both use the Package database you see in the Web Admin, to either build packages for the system, or to install them into a target system respectively.

Each individual package is broken up into several basic sections:

* A compatibility record, whether the package should be built/installed cart blanche for a given operating system or distribution.
* A list of dependencies, other entries in the Package database that the package will need to be installed. For upstream packages, this is usually empty, because these packages are not built by us, and already have their own dependencies..  For our own packages, there are entries in here which correspond to other Package entries, these get added either into Depends (for Pluto built packages), or Pre-Depends (for non-Pluto packages)
* A list of package sources, where to get this package (and more specifically, which script to use to grab the package.), usually, this is either Pluto Addon, or Ubuntu Addon packages. Look at some of the packages to see. This is followed by which repository to get it out of, AND more importantly, given the source, which distro it is compatible with (because some repositories may work across multiple distro versions, for example).
* and finally, for packages we build, a list of files that are part of the package (this is used by MakeRelease to build the package).

This is literally used by our build scripts, to output each and every package needed.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:35 am »
Wow, I had actually picked up most of that already from working with the build scripts and database already.  I'm happy to know my understanding is not flawed.

I'm assuming this needs to be done with a clean install on a CORE?  Then sqlCVS submitted.  Likely in stages, distro first, sqlcvs, add packages, sqlcvs.

I'll drop into -devel on IRC.

J.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 05:55:45 am »
Yup, that would be a good approach.

Ok, I'm pretty much always lurking there, just shout my name and Colloquy will let me know you're there.

-Thom

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 04:24:26 am »
Early stages yet but good progress on database updates so far.  Lots still to do for this to be usable. 

Thanks to golgo for qOrbiter and to coley for porting it to Qt5 on the RPi, that is what could really make the RPi a viable (usable) device.

J

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »
And this http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839 is even more good news :)
Hardware decode for VC-1 and MPEG-2 available.

-Coley.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2012, 04:57:36 pm »
And this http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839 is even more good news :)
Hardware decode for VC-1 and MPEG-2 available.

-Coley.

Woo hoo!  That pushes aside a large stumbling block for an omxplayer device.

J.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2012, 06:26:12 pm »
mine should be arriving on monday!! woohoo!! im racing like mad to get the qMediaPlayer working on the DCEside. Ive done a proof of concept qml video plugin so we are getting closer!

So what left to add to qOrbiter
dce multimedia- writing the plugin this weekend. Child qMediaPlayer device registers and i can send media control commands to it. just need the plugin to serve the stream data now ;)

dce ip phone / video. ---kinda far away just because ive not had a chance to look at c# / qml interfaces yet. The plan is to utilize liblinphone to create our own ip qPhone (sorry about q' everything. lol) that we can utilize on mobile devices as well as the pi and mds. and it could support video as the linphone library supports it.

also, you guys kick ass :)

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:59 pm »
dce ip phone / video. ---kinda far away just because ive not had a chance to look at c# / qml interfaces yet. The plan is to utilize liblinphone to create our own ip qPhone (sorry about q' everything. lol) that we can utilize on mobile devices as well as the pi and mds. and it could support video as the linphone library supports it.
And (lib)linphone is already available on raspbian :)
Methinks the R-pi will be pushed to the pin of its collar with all we are expecting of it!!

-Coley.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2012, 04:27:49 pm »
Wow!  Great work!  U-boot has been ported to RPi and I'm trying to figure out how to use it for netboot.

J.