Author Topic: Audio no longer work on hdmi stero inputs  (Read 4075 times)

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Audio no longer work on hdmi stero inputs
« on: November 12, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »
Hi All,

A while back (2 yrs), I used to use a dvi to hdmi converter, and the stero audio on tv, which hdmi 1 allowed this configuration.

Tried it today, as I am getting hdmi audio issues with my GT520, but am not getting any audio; will get audio though if I unplug the video input to the tv, once plugged in, audio goes.

At this point, I am of the belief, the issue is related to the xorg.conf, but have been unable thus far, to put my finger on a specific value.

Thoughts any one

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Audio no longer work on hdmi stero inputs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
Is your dvi to hdmi converter a single cable, a small block that is dvi on one end, hdmi on the other, or a receiver / auto box?
If it's the first, these cables don't support sound over hdmi. If it's the 2 I'd suggest checking your connections, if it's the 3rd I would try it straight to the tv skip the receiver / auto box to make sure something in it didn't go bad or got changed on you during a party.

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »
It is the small block type, DVI on one end, hdmi on the other.

If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the tv, I get sound, plugging it back in, sound goes.

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:54:36 pm »
Assuming you have a separate audio connection to your tv. I would check your settings on your tv. Some tv's disable sound input on other inputs if it sources a video over hdmi as it's expecting the audio to come over the same port. I hope this helps.

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:58:53 pm »
I see you have an additional submitting about a similar problem.. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12136.0.html
When I changed my video card a while back I reran the setup wizard. You may not get any video at first press 1,2,3,4 on the keyboard see setup wizard in the wiki on how to manually set the out port on your card. I had to set mine to DVI even tho it was clearly connected to HDMI port.
I hope this helps.

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:47:33 pm »
The GT 520, I am not seeing any audio devices for the card, even with an upgrade of alsa to 1.0.24, and upgrade of the nvidia driver to 285....

I check early this morning and realized my alsa driver version in cat /proc/asound/version , still says 1.0.23, will recheck the upgrade process log from the script, as I had not seen any errors.

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 12:28:52 am »
Got it to work, had to change the UserEDID from true to false.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:54:45 pm by klanmce »