Author Topic: libCEC USB -> HDMI-CEC  (Read 7241 times)

stedaniels

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
libCEC USB -> HDMI-CEC
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »
Hi there, long time reader, first time poster,

Typically, having just cabled my house with HDMI & USB to TV points and running back to the loft so I can install TV's and USB IR receivers, I then come across a USB -> HDMI-CEC device. It's from a company called Pulse Eight which seems to be XBMC focussed. I a link on mythtv-users.

There's a library called libCEC libcec.pulse-eight.com and a hardware USB -> HDMI-CEC pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx component costing about £30/$50/€35.

Has anyone come across these devices?

Doing a little reading in this thread about limited buttons over CEC forums.pulse-eight.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=129 I'm not sure how useful it'll be. But it seems good enough for the XBMC/MythTV crowd!

At a quick glance seems to be able to convert the button presses from the TV remote into LIRC format.. just need to see if enough buttons are passed through to make it worthwhile?

Steve

P.S. apologies for lack of clickable links. I'm not allowed apparently!

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: libCEC USB -> HDMI-CEC
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:37:27 am »
I have been following CEC advancements with some interest, but so far support for the protocol among a/v devices seems to be sporadic and quite fragmented. Everyone uses their own "standard" and few devices support it at all. With this in mind, I have not yet purchased any hardware to interface with it, and i doubt anyone else has either. I would love to see it supported though, and its good that there are now affordable interfaces. The most likely present themselves to the system as a RS232 port too, which means someone could get started with a Generic Serial Device.
It seems that most manufacturers use it to control other a/v gear from a TV, though with LMCE we want to control the TV (and other a/v gear) from LMCE.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »
LinuxMCE already supports HDMI CEC via the kwikwai HDMI-CEC device (Device Template ID 2168), thanks to hari, and kwikwai for supplying a demo unit to hari.

stedaniels

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »
Thankfully this new device is significantly cheaper!

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:39:32 pm »
This new cec device (when supported by lmce) would be awesome! I suggest all of us interested pay a bit and get one or two of these devices shipped to Hari or any other interested dev so taht they can take a look at them.

Anybody interested?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

Malard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:05 pm »
I'd be happy to ship a sample to any LMCE dev who needs one for integration (I run Pulse-Eight) please email support@pulse-eight.com and I will sort the rest

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:41 pm »
you can send it to me but no promises as I'm quite busy working on ZWave atm.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation