Author Topic: Is it possible to have linuxmce only for zwave home automation on MD525MW  (Read 3644 times)

mcenovice

• View Profile
Hi,

I have been very interested in home automation with Zwave and recently i saw the possibility to use LinuxMCE as a software tool for that. I would like to install just the home automation portion on a low power consumption server (like the Intel MD525MW).
I have downloaded the LinuxMCE 810 ISO and installation of Unbuntu went well. I had some issues with the realtek NIC, but this i have been able to fix.
However, the MCE installation did not work out well. The AVwizard did start, but after choosing the basic options, my ubuntu is completley reconfigured. i do not see the MCE starting and also my network manager disappeared. so no internet anymore.

I am new to the Unix world, but i assume the problem might be with the fact that Linuxmce is requirng a NVIDIA card ?
is it possible to install just the home automation portion of  LinuxMCE for Zwave ?
Or has anyone succeede to make linuxMCE 810 work on a low power motherboard without Nvidia ?

thanks,

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: Is it possible to have linuxmce only for zwave home automation on MD525MW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »
You could take a look at the 'Standalone DCE' project http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/board,354.0.html

mcenovice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:31 pm »
Thanks. I will look into it.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:33 am »
An Atom based system is absolutely okay to run LinuxMCE on. I've used one of the first Asus EEE Boxes as my dev test bed for quite some time. Even was able to run 800x600 with DVD content, so running it for Z-Wave only, should not be a problem at all.