Author Topic: Dual NIC cards but only one works at a time  (Read 7733 times)

jph

• View Profile
Re: Dual NIC cards but only one works at a time
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 03:26:35 pm »
I ran the script which generated two error messages:
Stopping DHCP server - [FAIL]
Failed to send 'clear' to local ypserver RPC: Program not registeredUpdating passwd.byusid.
Followed by msg:  Now you can run ypinit -s dcerouter on all slave services.

In WebAdmin under Advanced/Network only eth1:1 (dhcp) and eth1 (static) were recognized.  No NIC were displayed in the device tree. The file /etc/network was re-written to eth1:1 (dhcp) and eth1 (stat).  I changed this back to eth0 (dhcp) and eht1 (static) and then restated the network to re-establish my internet connection.

/jph

jph

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 03:41:33 pm »
I found a very old post on a blog.  I don't know if it still applies or if it will lead to stability issues:

To recognize the second NIC:
UPDATE Device_DeviceData SET IK_DeviceData="eth0,dhcp|eth1,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0" WHERE FY_DeviceDeviceData=32;

/jph

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »
Just got your update - was mid reply.
That SQL is what the script tries to do behind the scenes.
either run the update if you are confident to do it from the cli
Or if you have phpMyAdmin installed you can edit the record from there.

-Coley.

jph

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »
I executed the update query directly on the database and verfied that the row was updated.  I re-loaded the orbitor and now eth0 (dhcp) and eth1(static) are both recognized in WebAdmin. In the Advanced/Network/Network settings I was able the refresh the the IP on eth0.  So far so good.

I reconnected my NAS on eth1 where I have media from a previous installation.  If the dhcp server is active on eth1, should'nt the system recognize the NAS instaneously or will this take sometime?

/jhp

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 05:05:57 pm »
I assume you meant reloaded the router, as in dcerouter, and not Orbiter.
Are there shares already exported on the NAS?
If the NAS doesn't get picked up make sure it isn't being ignored - Advanced->Configuration->Unknown Devices
If this issue continues consider starting a new Thread so it doesn't get lost under the wrong title.
-Coley.

jph

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »
Thanks for your help and your patience.

I will start a new thread, if I continue to experience problems with the NAS.

//jph

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 04:15:11 am »
Just so I understand this right,...

Because I've been messing around with MythTV settings, playback configuration user setting, etc., before getting to the network configuration...

Q: Which nic should the Internet connection be on, and which should the internal network be on,... ? (onboard versus card)

Makes no difference to the system. Typically the onboard will be detected first, unless it is one of the blacklisted prior to driver support when kubu loads... then it will be backwards. LMCE doesn't care one way or the other. It figures out which one has internet coming in and makes that external, and spits dhcp on the other. However if one is gigabit, and one is not, I would recommend specifying the gigabit for your internal network.

Q: And can LinuxMCE be connected to a router which Does DHCP for any direct connectly devices?
(Specifically, I have a Micsaverde Vera v.1, and my Iconia A500 tablet does not like my other wireless router)
... and have LinuxMCE do DHCP for anything connected to IT for internet and internal cross talk?

There is magic involved with this (meaning I cannot explain why), but if you have multiple things spitting DHCP attached to lmce, odd behavior ensues. It creeps through wan ports... it tunnels through things I do not understand it to be able to in an attempt to find life. It is very greedy and prolific.

I know my Linksys WRT54GS running Gargoyle can be set to allow for other DHCP connections,... and turn off DHCP.
I don't know how easily the Vera can be configured to do the same.

Until I get a chance to reconfigure the network, Vera connects first, then the other router to it, and currently then to all other machines including my LinuxMCE Core.

I briefly tried; Cable modem to LinuxMCE Core to Vera to Linksys, but everything lost its Internet connection but the Core (The Vera may have been running DHCP, but the Linksys had it turned off).

I intend to move my Gargoyle-powered router inside, with LinuxMCE sitting between the Vera and the Linksys. So, it would be; Cable Modem to Vera to LinuxMCE Core to Linksys/Gargoyle router (with DHCP turned off) to everything else.

Will the above work,... or do I have to get more aggressive with the setup of the Vera?

Vera is pluto. Putting them both on the same wire, they are gonna bump heads. Tkmedia has the two playing nicely I believe. He will have to give you more details. It will have to be a very non-standard configuration.

I do not personally see the point in having both plutos, and hiding off things from DCERouter is counterintuitive to me... LMCE cannot take advantage of resources on the machines, and you cannot control LMCE  through those interfaces. It is designed to just integrate everything seamlessly. You are a grown up, and can use your equipment however you see fit obviously... I am certainly not trying to get into anything by asking... but why do you want to compartmentalize something which exists to provide layered transparency?
I never quit... I just ping out.