Author Topic: Network Share not showing up  (Read 5114 times)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Network Share not showing up
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:09:29 am »
I mounted a network share as shown in the wiki, but it doesn't seem to be showing any of the media on my MD's or on the core.  One thing I did not do, is have any local storage.  So it asks for /dev/sda5 and I say no, since I only have video/audio/etc on the network share.  Do I need this for it to show up?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Network Share not showing up
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:21:54 am »
wait, what wiki page? you should never manually mount anything, LinuxMCE will detect a network share and ask you what to do with it.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:08:01 pm »
It doesn't ask because the share is on the outside, not on the 192.168.80.x network.

I followed this add external share guide:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/SMB_/_Samba_NAS_Configurations

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:14:44 pm »
We can't reliably support external shares outside the network. If you're manually creating the share, you need to double check the parameters, and verify that you can mount the device manually from the core's command line.

-Thom

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:58:44 pm »
What?  Why not?  How is an external NAS different than an internal one?  I can mount it from other linux boxes on my home network, what command should I use to mount it from LMCE?  mount -t ntfs (etc)?

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 12:58:46 am »
Wait, it is already showing up!  It shows it mounted it as /mnt/device/74 and if I browse there I see everything!  I don't see it anywhere on the MD's though, but it does show up on the core in the admin page.

I created a shortcut to it and now it shows up on the MD. In the core's public dir: /mnt/device/100/home/public/data/videos # sudo l -s /mnt/device/74/(path to directory)/ NAS

So now I ran updatemedia and it shows up.  It even pulled the old thumbnails!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:07:23 am by nosebreaker »

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:34:18 am »
it seems you have answered your own question re "why". all this manual fiddling you dont have to do when you use the system properly. ie it becomes the gateway for your entire network.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
Internal network based NAS are supported plug and play, external NAS need to be setup manually, but do work (I've been using an external SAMBA share forever)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:20 pm »
it seems you have answered your own question re "why". all this manual fiddling you dont have to do when you use the system properly. ie it becomes the gateway for your entire network.
I posted my answer in case someone else finds this post in the future and wonders how I got it working.  I did have to add both the IP and the MAC address to get the external share to work, then I added a link to it on the core's HDD.  It didn't seem to show the files on it otherwise.

Ok I'll be honest here, the NAS is not behind LMCE simply because IMHO it isn't stable.  I end up rebooting into Windows on the core to get a video to play or something and I need to get to the NAS when LMCE is off.  I used to have it 80% working (zwave, remote, md's) and now it is not.  I added a link to the NAS and now the MD's crash when I try to browse the videos (it did work for a couple videos before it was done running UpdateMedia).  ZWave turns on/off all lights in the house when I play a video OR turns on/off the wrong ones, the Fiire and Gyration remotes I have no longer seem to work, and there are other misc problems that I haven't gotten to yet (sound works on one MD, but doesn't on another that is identical for example).  I loved it when I had 710 and it worked, I may go back to that because it least it is the "devil I know".

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 11:49:47 am »
I find it interesting, that you say you HAD to add IP address and MAC. Whenever I did do that, the dhcpd.conf file would include the ip and mac address of the external system, causing havoc on dhcpd startup. I have the IP address only for the external file server, and it works without a problem.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »
I don't know if I HAD to enter the mac and IP for the config, but there was another post that said they did that and it worked for them, so I did the same and it then mounted the drive, but didn't link to it anywhere.

As of now, I'm leaning towards another media system and hacking in zwave support for it, since the system is pretty useless to me right now (can't view media, its on the NAS and now it crashes when I try to get a list of videos).