Author Topic: 3d playback  (Read 7041 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
3d playback
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:48:25 am »
I know...nobody really wants to sit with extra glasses in their living room...but with 3d projectors coming out and not being much more expensive than ordinary fullhd projectors, I was wondering if implementing real stereoscopic 3d playback could be a new feature for Linuxmce.
There seems to be an interesting player out there : http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/linux-3d-player/

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: 3d playback
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:35:37 pm »
iirc most content available in 3D is Blu-Ray based content. As we do not support direct playback of Blu-Ray discs, it might make more sense to

a) either get a Blu-Ray disc player and control it via LinuxMCE
b) get Blu-Ray playback into a usable state for LinuxMCE

b isn't going to happen anytime soon.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:58:36 am »
iirc most content available in 3D is Blu-Ray based content. As we do not support direct playback of Blu-Ray discs, it might make more sense to

a) either get a Blu-Ray disc player and control it via LinuxMCE
b) get Blu-Ray playback into a usable state for LinuxMCE

b isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Youtube also supports 3d

serdasteclas

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »
I am new to all this (still figuring out how Linux MCE works) but I believe 3d is already suported...
Maybe if you are using NVidia 3D-Vision or something similiar it wont work because something have to control the active shutter glasses, but if you are using 3d projectors as you suggested I believe you only have to configure the projectors.
I've been playing around with a LG D2342P 3D-Monitor for a few weeks, I've downloaded and played 3D videos in kubuntu without the need of any additional software, the movies I tested are normal video files with twice the width and both images side by side, all you have to do is force 16:9 and activate full screen in whatever player you like, I also tested interlaced image videos, the 3D magic is made by the monitor itself, you do need to select what type of 3d you are trying to watch in the monitor options but nothing different is done by the computer, this projectors or a 3D tv will work the same way. I still haven't connected the MCE machine to this monitor to test this hypothesis, but as my xbox outputs 3d video in the same format (side by side in 32:9) I am assuming this is the standard for 3d video and I don't see why it would not work in a normal installation of Linux MCE.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »
I'm digging this old thing up, because I got something new, namely a 3d-capable projector.
I tried this one :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV8pg2AMB6c as a side-by-side video....and though its relatively low resolution, the 3d-experience is spectacular playing from lmce! :-)