Author Topic: Core for Bongo  (Read 4807 times)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Core for Bongo
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:36:07 am »
Since I now have a steady "cashflow in", to match my increasing "cashflow out" for now, I finally want to take the leap and use Linuxmce.
In this case LinuxMCE 10.04 or 12.04, so I can test in real life for the devs.

Lolwut? Bongo isn't using Linuxmce?
No, but now I am willing to take the leap.
But still I have some questions.

Television
I want three tuners.
  • Tuner 1 dedicated to television 1
  • Tuner 2 dedicated to television 2
  • Tuner 3 dedicated to recording

Good approach? Stupid Approach?

Sound
I like the squeezeslave approach, except it seems that Logitech has EOLed the receiver. Also it needs an Amplifier.
My first take was to get network cable to all the audio zones in my house and plug in a logitech receiver, hook that up to a small (car or other) amp, and hook up 2 loudspeakers to the amp.
I wanted to have 5 audio zones, so 5 receivers, 5 amps, 10 loudspeakers.
Since logitech doesn't provide them anymore I think this approach will not work.
Is there a product that can replace the logitech receiver?

Or there is also another approach, that for every audio zone I install a soundcard, get a loudspeaker cable to all the audio zones. But I have no clue if that will work with 5 audio zones, do I have to really put in 5 cards? Are there even motherboards that can provide so many slots, 3 + 5 =8.

What I prefer is to put everything in the casing of my core. No external usb boxes plugged into my core. It always look messy and prone to be destroyed by clumsy girlfriends.
Also I want all the receiver and amp's small, so I can hide them in the ceiling.

Some input is very much appreciated

Thanks

B.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Core for Bongo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:31:08 am »
Re your television needs: You failed to provide information HOW you receive TV.

Re Logitech Squeezeboxes: Logitech still makes Squeezeboxes. It is just that the receivers alone might no longer be available new (but probably still available from eBay and such). The other Squeezeboxes work just as well. And might even circumvent your need for additional amps: Just dismantle the case of the Squeezebox radio, and you have an amp, a loudspeaker and a receiver ready to be put into the ceiling.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:12 am »
Re your television needs: You failed to provide information HOW you receive TV.

Re Logitech Squeezeboxes: Logitech still makes Squeezeboxes. It is just that the receivers alone might no longer be available new (but probably still available from eBay and such). The other Squeezeboxes work just as well. And might even circumvent your need for additional amps: Just dismantle the case of the Squeezebox radio, and you have an amp, a loudspeaker and a receiver ready to be put into the ceiling.

I do not now yet how I will receive Television. But probably I will have to have three CI+ able tuners.

I do not like to built with already absolute stuff. I know there are receivers out there in stock or on ebay, but logitech discontinuing them gives me the impression they will stop it all together.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:30:25 pm »
re TV: Are you going to have external settopboxes that you are going to feed into LinuxMCE, or are you going to have TV tuner cards?

re SqueezeBoxes: They discontinue the receivers because most people prefer to have a speaker built into the mix.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:36 pm »
re TV: Are you going to have external settopboxes that you are going to feed into LinuxMCE, or are you going to have TV tuner cards?

re SqueezeBoxes: They discontinue the receivers because most people prefer to have a speaker built into the mix.

re tv:
Probably settopboxes, but I am seeing if I can get CI+ modules

re audio:
Sniff

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:09 am »
Does anybody have a suggestion about audio?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
you said TV1 and TV2 so are you going to have two MD's?  how will these be made up - Hybrid and 1 MD or 2MD's and a dedicated core - Anyway I thought an extra sound card in your MD's can be set as a slave to the squeezebox server within LMCE.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:46:19 pm »

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:30:12 am »
you said TV1 and TV2 so are you going to have two MD's?  how will these be made up - Hybrid and 1 MD or 2MD's and a dedicated core - Anyway I thought an extra sound card in your MD's can be set as a slave to the squeezebox server within LMCE.

I will have two tv's and the md's connected to it.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 05:31:50 am »

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:47 am »
I will have two tv's and the md's connected to it.

(i think) he's asking if one of those MDs is a hybrid.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:31 pm »
I was trying to establish how many LMCE machines you have because each one can have an extra sound card for one extra audio zone.  I am not sure you can have more than one in these machines? (you can use USB sound cards)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »
I was trying to establish how many LMCE machines you have because each one can have an extra sound card for one extra audio zone.  I am not sure you can have more than one in these machines? (you can use USB sound cards)

Somewhere I thought I read 1 audio zone per sound card, but you can have multiple sound cards per machine.