Author Topic: Anyone using or tried - NeatX, FreeX, NoMachine or similiar?  (Read 3811 times)

Garbui

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Anyone using or tried - NeatX, FreeX, NoMachine or similiar?
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »
Hi All,
I am looking at options for remote access desktop GUI sessions from my Core to have remote access to my desktop for file sharing, access to programs etc. I have chosen to look at these options rather than VNC to allow multiple users and multiple sessions and also not disrupt any usage on the Hybrid. Its secure and clients are available for windoze, Mac and linux. So the question is has anyone, tried or have running a similar setup? Having not had a lot of experience with linux, are there any possible caveats I should be looking for with interoperability with Linuxmce (I am running Dianemo s10.10 at present)? Any comments, suggestions and they like are more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Garath

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using or tried - NeatX, FreeX, NoMachine or similiar?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:15:55 pm »
Hello Garath,
I currently use No Machine on my core and I'm able to connect to a remote desktop on my core from any windows PC or Ubuntu PC in my home. I have also opened up ports in my firewall so that I can connect the remote desktop from outside my network. It works very well and I have no complaints. Its also nice because once I'm in my core I can use the Remote desktop application in Kubuntu to connect to any my Windows PCs using VNC. This allows me to troubleshoot issues for my wife when I'm not home to fix whatever random issues may occur.
I use Filezilla to transfer files to and from my core both inside and out side my home network. It's nice to be able to connect to my core and troubleshoot issues and not have to be stuck in my closet.

-Dustin
Core: Broken :(

Garbui

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:21 am »
Hi Dustin,
Your setup is exactly what I am trying to replicate - Thanks! I often travel, so yes the VNC option is a great addition. I read that Nomachine has both printing and file share through the client http://www.nomachine.com/howto/file-sharing.php Is there a benefit of filezilla over just Nomachine for file share?

Thanks Again
- Garath

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »
I'm curious to know what types of operations you are using remote desktop for that can't be fairly easily accomplished via SSH?

Garbui

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:47:07 pm »
Hi Davegravy
I am not looking for any out of the ordinary functionality, just looking for a useable remote X11 session. FreeNX and Nomachine run over SSH with the advantage caching and compression. Nomachine seemed to address my needs simply and without too much issue including printing, sound and file sharing remotely. So listening to music, accessing documents etc remotely was appealing to me. Yes X11 forwarding over SSH is the same thing from what I am reading and can achieve the same thing but seemed rather difficult to configure and setup. Nomachine als has a web player that looks to run on almost all web devices including mobile to access the session. Which is handy as my work has locked down all installation of any software usb and access to external media etc. However, quite a noob with all this, so please share your ideas.

Cheers
Garath

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »
I am using x2go for a client, which works nicely, is based on nx technology, but free