uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
Re: gps
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 03:07:07 am »
purpse,

where do you get 1,5m accuracy with GPS using civil equipment? I rarely get the 15m

My HTC Wildfire seems to hit me right on the head each time... while outside... in an open parking lot. Well... it hit me right on the head in London, ducked behind tall buildings too. And while moving at 100 km/h by train. I must have the military version :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:10:16 am by uplink »

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 03:12:27 am »
Anyway, I guess a starting point would be Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_positioning_system and there's a lot to read there.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
Turn of GPS-A and your head will be save.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 04:17:11 pm »
I wonder if there is a way to "fine tune" the range by shielding the dongle in some way?

Most definitely. It's called a Faraday cage, and you could construct one around each room to contain its local bluetooth signal.

Oh wait, you wanted a *practical* solution...  ;)

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 03:17:04 am »
From a theoretical point of view, at one point I wanted to know about a GPS-like solution where you put your own "satellites" around your house, say... one in each corner of each room... 4 per room if your rooms are shaped like a regular upright parallelepiped. I haven't quite found an answer, but somehow I know an amateur radio-electro-geek could build a HPS (Home Positioning System) with stuff from Radio Shack. :) It can double up as a GPS jamming device if you use the same frequencies, and enough power and error correction to overcome the HPS jamming signal coming down from orbit.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 05:58:20 am »
seeing as we are looking at options that are 'outside the box' you could set yourself on fire and use a 1-wire temperature sensor to detect you presence.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 06:10:03 am »
seeing as we are looking at options that are 'outside the box' you could set yourself on fire and use a 1-wire temperature sensor to detect you presence.

We need a Slashdot style "Funny" button :D

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:06 am »

Lawl. Motion sensors combined with the continuous waving of your arms might be less painful. At least in the short-term.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »
It is quite obvious, that all you need is a kinect in every room, which has learned all occupants of the house, and LinuxMCE is using it for follow me.

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »
could you use wifi antennas at each corner of house and triangulate your phones position?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
It is quite obvious, that all you need is a kinect in every room, which has learned all occupants of the house, and LinuxMCE is using it for follow me.

How feasible is this?

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 11:34:36 am »
If your house is full of iPods, iPhones, and so forth, here's something interesting from Slashdot today: http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/11/13/1841204/ios-app-acoustically-measures-distances-up-to-25-meters

As is customary with Slashdot, I haven't read the article, so it may not even be on topic :P