Author Topic: Dianemo S10.10 license for sale  (Read 21808 times)

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Dianemo S10.10 license for sale
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:52:36 pm »
Hello All,

Disclaimer: I should disclose that I am a little annoyed at Dianemo. They have stopped responding to my emails (15 days without ANY response to 4 emails, and 24 days with no response to a specific request).. I wonder how quickly that will change with this post?. That said, I don't mean to rant (well maybe a little), and I figure some of this info may be useful to others.

Why did I buy Dianemo?
Basically I have had problems with MythTV crashes in the past, and thought I would try and take some of the hassle out of LMCE and try out the Dianemo solution - which as I understood it had a newer version of Myth, and was less buggy.

What I was not aware of is that, while the Dianemo solution claims to be more stable, it has had a bunch of things cut out of the standard LMCE distro that I was not aware of (and that were not disclosed). After highlighting these - I was told they could be 'configured for me' but as you can see from the below - a bunch of them never worked... Including MythTV frontend which was a showstopper.

Things that didn't work out of the box but we got to work eventually

• Squeezebox server (was not installed on initial install)
  • Mouse pointers - not visible in UI2 (for gyration/mouse navigation on UI2)
  • Temporary License keys incorrect - re issued
  • Permanent License key never issued - box stopped working for a few days
  • Mythweb

Things that never worked (after almost 1 month of requests for support. There was lots of communication to begin - though no progress - but it fell right off in the end)

• Watching TV (MythTV) via an MD (or hybrid). Backend works (playing TV from the Ubuntu desktop works fine), but the front end crashes after about 20 seconds
  • uPNP (asked for this to be enabled. never was)
  • Gyration 3101 never worked. Apparently this is unsupported. I was advised that they should be able to get this working but it was never fixed (again, repeated requests made)
  • NAS fileshare access (after manually detecting file shares, neither LMCE file structure or 'just make the content public' worked
  • Media tagging (via amazon / imdb). This is flat broken in Dianemo. TVDB also not there of course
  • Media tagging (via the advertised update http://192.168.80.1/mediadb). URL never worked (not found)
  • Denon 4306 AMP. Not detected
  • EEEbox b202 (When I paid for my copy, this was advertised to work - though I was later advised it is no longer supported and it has been removed from the Dianemo thread)

Other considerations
  • Auto-detect is turned off for most things. This is apparently to improve stability, but does mean more manual configuration is required... Assuming you know how, which you probably don't - so you'll have to wait for Dianemo to remote access in
  • Mouse/Cross Hairs cursor must be enabled via config changes - turned off by default. I never got this to work on the MD - on the hybrid only

There was a bunch of other stuff I never tried (USBUIRT, zwave etc) because I never got it to a point where I could use it.

I should also mention that I am currently running the LMCE 0810 Final (not Dianemo) and it has resolved _all_ of the problems listed above... Including MythTV which seems much more stable than I remember from the Beta!  ;D

I think that covers most of it. Andrew has always been very helpful on the forums, but my experience with Dianemo was pretty terrible all said. Curious if anyone else has had issue like this?

Cheers
WR.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:55:49 am by wombiroller »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: my Dianemo S10.10 experience
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:35 pm »
Hello All,

Disclaimer: I should disclose that I am a little annoyed at Dianemo. They have stopped responding to my emails (15 days without ANY response to 4 emails, and 24 days with no response to a specific request).. I wonder how quickly that will change with this post?. That said, I don't mean to rant (well maybe a little), and I figure some of this info may be useful to others.
Hi wombiroller - we have not responded to any emails because we have not received any from you for 26 days. Prior to that we tried numerous times to Remote Access your system but each time it was not accessible.

Why did I buy Dianemo?
Basically I have had problems with MythTV crashes in the past, and thought I would try and take some of the hassle out of LMCE and try out the Dianemo solution - which as I understood it had a newer version of Myth, and was less buggy.

What I was not aware of is that, while the Dianemo solution claims to be more stable, it has had a bunch of things cut out of the standard LMCE distro that I was not aware of (and that were not disclosed). After highlighting these - I was told they could be 'configured for me' but as you can see from the below - a bunch of them never worked... Including MythTV frontend which was a showstopper.

• Squeezebox server (was not installed on initial install)
  • Mouse pointers - not visible in UI2 (for gyration/mouse navigation on UI2)
  • Temporary License keys incorrect - re issued
  • Permanent License key never issued - box stopped working for a few days
  • Mythweb

Things that never worked (after almost 1 month of requests for support. There was lots of communication to begin - though no progress - but it fell right off in the end)

• Watching TV (MythTV) via an MD (or hybrid). Backend works (playing TV from the Ubuntu desktop works fine), but the front end crashes after about 20 seconds
Re above
This MythTV issue has been fixed for several weeks. Clearly updates were not applied.

• uPNP (asked for this to be enabled. never was)
uPnP has always worked.

• Gyration 3101 never worked. Apparently this is unsupported. I was advised that they should be able to get this working but it was never fixed (again, repeated requests made)
Gyration support and Fiire remote support has been available as an Update since the 2 Sept.

• NAS fileshare access (after manually detecting file shares, neither LMCE file structure or 'just make the content public' worked
Adding Samba/NAS shares is working.

• Media tagging (via amazon / imdb). This is flat broken in Dianemo. TVDB also not there of course
Media tagging via Amazon is broken and will hopefully be fixed in an update shortly.

TheMovieDB is supported but the URL referenced above is incorrect. The correct URL is; http://192.168.80.1/pluto-admin/moviedb/

• Denon 4306 AMP. Not detected
Auto detection of Amplifiers is not turned on by default. It is very likely that the standard Dianemo Denon template will work with the 4306. But if not then a new template can easily be created using tools we provide that are referenced to on the Dianemo S10.10 wiki - see here; http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_S10.10#Creating_DCEWhisperer_Device_Templates

• EEEbox b202 (When I paid for my copy, this was advertised to work - though I was later advised it is no longer supported and it has been removed from the Dianemo thread)
Lack of support for Intel GPU's is clearly stated in the Dianemo S10.10 docs here on the Forum. However experimental support for Intel GPU's was reinstated on 24 Aug in an AVwizard update.

Other considerations
  • Auto-detect is turned off for most things. This is apparently to improve stability, but does mean more manual configuration is required... Assuming you know how, which you probably don't - so you'll have to wait for Dianemo to remote access in
Configuration and setup of Dianemo does not require us to remotely login but we do offer that to assist new users if required (as we have to you numerous times... but for the most part your system has repeatedly not been accessible unfortunately). Anyone who is familiar with LinuxMCE configuration will feel very at home configuring Dianemo. The only area where a learning curve applies is if you want to create your own DCEwhisperer based Device Templates (DCEwhisperer is a Dianemo software framework for creating DCEdevices in the Bash language. We have numerous examples now of forum members creating there own DCEwhisperer device templates and we are really excited by all the activity here now around DCEwhisperer as it is of course also available for LinuxMCE-0810 so any devices you build can be used in Dianemo or LinuxMCE. We also hope to have a way to automatically move Device templates between Dianemo & LinuxMCE in the future allowing for bi-directional importing of Device templates between the two systems.

• Mouse/Cross Hairs cursor must be enabled via config changes - turned off by default. I never got this to work on the MD - on the hybrid only
Mouse/Cross Hairs cursor management has been full working since before Dianemo S10.10 was released.
There was a bunch of other stuff I never tried (USBUIRT, zwave etc) because I never got it to a point where I could use it.
USBUIRT & ZWave support is full working and has been since Dianemo S10.10 was released.

I should also mention that I am currently running the LMCE 0810 Final (not Dianemo) and it has resolved _all_ of the problems listed above... Including MythTV which seems much more stable than I remember from the Beta!  ;D

I think that covers most of it. Andrew has always been very helpful on the forums, but my experience with Dianemo was pretty terrible all said. Curious if anyone else has had issue like this?

Cheers
WR.

Hopefully I have answered all of the points you have raised above. As you can see I think in all or almost cases your impression of functionality that is not working is somewhat out of date or incorrect. If you apply the updates that are currently available then there is no reason to not have a fully functional and working system. As ever if you need assistance to get your system operating how you require then we are willing to assist you using Remote Assistance or help you learn how to make the changes you are attempting yourself. However to allow us to do either of these your system must be powered up and accessible and you must be willing to be available to test the changes we make or benefit from any guidance we can provide too you.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:04 am »
Hello All,
Hi wombiroller - we have not responded to any emails because we have not received any from you for 26 days. Prior to that we tried numerous times to Remote Access your system but each time it was not accessible.
Bit hard to swallow Andrew. Unless you have added me to your gmail spam list - I have been responding to the same message thread in gmail and you have responded to that in the past.  You responded to one on the 13th Sep (15 days ago which shows you have been getting my emails in the last 26 days) that didn’t address my request. I responded to that 4 times since... with no response.

You did promise someone would remote access in, though again – after several days after I would query why nothing had changed and you would tell me that someone had ‘tried’ but couldn’t get access. Nobody ever told me when they were trying to get access and it failed so I could take a look -  it was always me chasing up and being given what I perceived to be excuses.  The only time the box was ever off air was when the licence failed because I was not issued a permanent one.
I’ll forward the email thread for the 5th time, or happy to post the whole thing if you’d prefer.
Why did I buy Dianemo?

•   Squeezebox server (was not installed on initial install)
•   Mouse pointers - not visible in UI2 (for gyration/mouse navigation on UI2)
•   Temporary License keys incorrect - re issued
•   Permanent License key never issued - box stopped working for a few days
•   Mythweb

•   Watching TV (MythTV) via an MD (or hybrid). Backend works (playing TV from the Ubuntu desktop works fine), but the front end crashes after about 20 seconds

Re above
This MythTV issue has been fixed for several weeks. Clearly updates were not applied.
Clearly, if you read the emails I sent, (that included log files and outputs from the update) I had updated it. It may have worked for others, but there was something clearly broken.
uPnP has always worked.
Gyration support and Fiire remote support has been available as an Update since the 2 Sept.
Adding Samba/NAS shares is working.
Again – they may be for you, but they never did for me. I have detailed information in my emails. I have had enough experience with LMCE to know how to do basic config, updates – but all I ever got in response was it 'should' work...
TheMovieDB is supported but the URL referenced above is incorrect. The correct URL is; http://192.168.80.1/pluto-admin/moviedb/

Actually I tried this as well, once the error in URL was communicated (as I outlined in my emails). That didn’t work for me either... not found.

•   EEEbox b202 (When I paid for my copy, this was advertised to work - though I was later advised it is no longer supported and it has been removed from the Dianemo thread)
Lack of support for Intel GPU's is clearly stated in the Dianemo S10.10 docs here on the Forum. However experimental support for Intel GPU's was reinstated on 24 Aug in an AVwizard update.
It is clearly stated now – it was the opposite when I purchased my copy. You confirmed this in an email. I couldn’t get it to boot at all with Dianemo, UI1 is working fine in 0810

Configuration and setup of Dianemo does not require us to remotely login but we do offer that to assist new users if required (as we have to you numerous times... but for the most part your system has repeatedly not been accessible unfortunately)
Again – this is patently untrue. Granted the time difference between Aus and the UK makes it difficult, but the box was never offline (with the exception of when the licence failed) and this was only ever used as an excuse after I would ask why nothing had changed several days after someone was supposed to login. No one ever notified me as they tried to connect.

Mouse/Cross Hairs cursor management has been full working since before Dianemo S10.10 was released.

Not by default.... “....By default we disable the mouse & cross hairs cursors as none of our users use mice or gyration style control for their MM's...” and as I stated, I couldn't get this to work on an MD - on the hybrid only.

Hopefully I have answered all of the points you have raised above. As you can see I think in all or almost cases your impression of functionality that is not working is somewhat out of date or incorrect. If you apply the updates that are currently available then there is no reason to not have a fully functional and working system. As ever if you need assistance to get your system operating how you require then we are willing to assist you using Remote Assistance or help you learn how to make the changes you are attempting yourself. However to allow us to do either of these your system must be powered up and accessible and you must be willing to be available to test the changes we make or benefit from any guidance we can provide too you.
Again – not out of date or incorrect – they just didn’t work. Anyway, as I have outlined in several emails, I no longer have Dianemo installed. I went through this for a month and don’t have the time or inclination to repeat the experience.

All I ask is you respond to my email request... Which I have resent for the 5th time.

Thanks,
WR

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
Could I suggest picking up a phone, wombiroller? I know it's long distance, but surely a quick phone call to sort out this apparent email problem is preferable to this?

Anyway, I will mind my own business now.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:00:55 am »
Hi Adriel,

I still do not have an email from you. I will email you please just reply to that email.

We have large numbers of users successfully using Dianemo S10.10 so whatever problems you have experienced I am confident that they can be resolved. If for some reason your updates did not get applied then that might cause some specific features to not function. If that is the case we can look at that remotely for you to resolve that issue too.

We provide remote assistance to users who hit problems or need some help with specific issues - for the most part this is usually to do with adding or configuring Device Templates. However most users do not need any remote assistance at all, and it is not assumed that is is required for a normal successful install, but it does depend on specific system configurations as system these can vary enormously. If we had to remotely configure every Dianemo S10.10 install for each customer we'd need a much bigger support team!

All the best

Andrew

Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 11:50:55 am »
Could I suggest picking up a phone, wombiroller? I know it's long distance, but surely a quick phone call to sort out this apparent email problem is preferable to this?

Anyway, I will mind my own business now.
Fair point, though all I wanted was the license to be cancelled and a refund - it was at that point all me emails seemed to go missing, so I figured I was just been ignored. Anyway - we probably don't need to continue this publicly - I have said my piece..

Andrew - I replied to your email (same address as before). If you didn't get it (and I am not in your spam list) please let me know.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:06 am »
Fair point, though all I wanted was the license to be cancelled and a refund - it was at that point all me emails seemed to go missing, so I figured I was just been ignored. Anyway - we probably don't need to continue this publicly - I have said my piece..

Andrew - I replied to your email (same address as before). If you didn't get it (and I am not in your spam list) please let me know.

Hi Andrew - As above - I also PM'd you but still no response...?

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 02:20:01 am »
Andrew - still no response to any email or multiple PM's. Could you PLEASE respond to one of them?!

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 03:30:49 am »
I poked Andrew for you today and he said he didn't receive any emails from you. He said he sent you another email today. Not sure where things break down.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 04:18:50 am »
I poked Andrew for you today and he said he didn't receive any emails from you. He said he sent you another email today. Not sure where things break down.
Thx Uplink. I PM'd him as well but no response :( really don't understand what the hell is going on.. everyone else gets my emails and PMs. You want to act as a proxy? :P  ...I can forward all my emails to you, haha

EDIT: Is there another Dianemo I can forward the email to?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:23:01 am by wombiroller »

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:52:41 am »
So... I know full well that Andrew/Dianemo has my emails (and my PMs), and that they (Andrew) has been flat out ignoring them. I know this because another member of the team confirmed Andrew had received them...

And guess what - all this time, still not a peep. Initially I felt a bit bad about posting this - now I feel fully justified.

I'll keep posting here now and then until he does respond.....

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:55:13 am by wombiroller »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:10 am »
I've not followed this issue but I really doubt that Andrew is ignoring a customer. He is a very committed, friendly and smart guy. I'd suggest to give him a call to resolve this issue.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

aico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: my Dianemo S10.10 experience [terrible]
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 01:44:55 pm »
I am a user of Dianemo S10.10 too.
I can say that the support that the Dianemo-Team gives to me is realy great, and belive me, I had and I will have a lot of questions to Andrew and his team.

Regards
Johannes

alx2k

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:08:08 pm »
I am also a s10.10 user

I had some problems at the beginning, mainly with my gt220, but Andrew was helpful and commited.

I sent him around 10 emails and all of them got replied.

Hope you solve your issues soon.

Alejandro.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 06:27:27 am »
Glad some others are not having the same problems as me, however I still am still not getting any reponse from Andrew to my refund request.

Anyone want to buy my licence at an appropriate discount??