Author Topic: /etc/network/interfaces problem  (Read 15481 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
/etc/network/interfaces problem
« on: December 15, 2004, 12:38:04 am »
Hello,  

First let me thank you for the excellent looking software.  
I'm having a few problems setting up pluto on my system.  I'm using the kickstart cd.  I've installed successfully but on the next reboot here is what I get:

Running '/usr/pluto/bin/Network_Setup.sh'
Writing network configuration with one in database
Deconfiguring network interfaces...done.
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces.../etc/network/interfaces:7: option with empty value
ifup:couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
done.

Now it pauses for a long period of time (2 minutes)

iptables v1.2.11: host/network ' .1.0' not found

another hang

Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd

another long pause

Then after it tries to start the dce-router it hangs permanently.  I've installed 3 times with different network options selected in the wizard (DHCP server on and off) but I'm stuck at the same point.  

If I bring the system up in recovery mode I find that the interfaces file has:

auto 64.59.176.13
       iface 64.59.176.13 inet static
       address 64.59.176.15
       netmask
       gateway

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
      address .1
      netmask 255.255.255.0

Now  64.59.176.13 is not my ip address.  If I correct the file to a normal interfaces file which will bring eth0 up as dhcp the networking works.  Unfortunately it is replaced during the next reboot.

Seems like the database must have incorrect info in it regarding my network setup.  How do I correct it?

Any ideas?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Workaround
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 01:11:27 am »
I've just disables the Network_Setup.sh script that ran during the startup.  Without it the /etc/network/interfaces file doesn't get written over and thus the network works.

The installation finally boots correctly.  I'm quite impressed with how things work so far.

I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong if anyone knows.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 01:26:38 pm »
Something goes wrong at first boot. Normally, at first boot the Pluto system doesn't have any clue on what the network settings are and reads the system's /etc/network/interfaces file to find out those settings and stores them into the database. Each boot after that, the settings from the database get put back into that file, so I guess there's a parsing problem when reading the initial settings.

Can you post me a copy of the /etc/network/interfaces file just before rebooting the system, but after it has completely finished installing? I'd like to see what the scripts mis-interprets and why, so I can fix that script.

Also, if you can give me the output of the following MySQL command, it would be very helpful:
Code: [Select]

SELECT FK_Device,IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData JOIN DeviceData ON PK_DeviceData=FK_DeviceData WHERE PK_DeviceData IN (28,32);

You can execute that by pasting it or typing it at the following command's prompt: mysql pluto_main

Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 01:31:38 pm »
By the way, if you want to look at the parsing script yourself, you'll find it in Network_Parameter.sh which is included and used by Network_Setup.sh. The exact function is ParseInterfaces and it's mostly written in AWK (it seemed the right way to do it at that moment).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 05:42:25 pm »
I can't imagine how that IP could be coming from us.  I did a reverse whois and it's an IP from Canada.  So I don't think it's possible that one of our developers inadvertently hardcoded something in.  Is that IP address within the normal range of IP's that your ISP would give you?  Are you in Canada?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 09:33:56 am »
We found the problem.  It was a bug in our processing of the network settings.  We fixed it, and the new code will be included in our 2.0.0.3 build, which we will probably be putting up later today once it goes through some more testing.  Sorry about that.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Thanks.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 04:19:28 pm »
Great.  Sorry I hadn't answered your questions.  Been too busy to get back to it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Thanks.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 04:23:18 pm »
Great.  Sorry I hadn't answered your questions.  Been too busy to get back to it.
(I have no idea why this is duplicated.  The edit/delete option does allow editing but how does one delete a post?)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 04:44:08 pm »
We just put build 2.0.0.3 up and this solves that issue.