Author Topic: VDR No sound but recorded TV has sound when played on Mac OSX.  (Read 3619 times)

kiwibum

• View Profile
VDR No sound but recorded TV has sound when played on Mac OSX.
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:29 pm »
I think this is a MPEG ACC codec problem, however not sure where to look.

I've installed LinuxMCE-8.10-final.iso other than having basic problems with selecting correct driver for FX5200 graphics card and getting the correct download urls in apt sources.list all has gone well. However I have been struggling for the week trying to get sound to work in VDR for New Zealand DTT TV with my WinTV HVR 1100 Hauppauge PCI TV DVB-T Tuner Card.  I've wasted most of my time on the red herring of audio pids in tuning the channels however I've found that isn't the problem.

Audio works for playing DVD's, movies in AVI files and music mp3 are fine. Playing recorded or live TV in VDR is the problem with no sound. However if I play the VDR recorded .TS file in VLC on my Mac laptop the sound is fine. I see the codec is MPEG ACC audio. Trying to play the .TS file direct in xine on kubuntu desktop on LinuxMCE hybrid/core there is no sound, under the file info for xine it shows "Audio, has: yes, Handled: yes, Codec AAC 5.1 (libfaad)" which I assume means it has the correct codec for this.

Just in case it didn't have the codec I followed the instructions in phenigma post on "xine-lib and video playback issues?" (can't post link) and installed his pluto-xine-player and libxine2 packages. This didn't make any difference. I didn't do the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run" as my FX5200 card needs an earlier driver.

Any pointers to where I should be looking, reading or check are appreciated. Thanks. Hopefully I'll get this working before the end of the Rugby world cup so we can watch at least the last game on the big screen.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: VDR No sound but recorded TV has sound when played on Mac OSX.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:57 pm »
There is currently no support for those audio tracks in our version of VDR.

kiwibum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:27 am »
There is currently no support for those audio tracks in our version of VDR.
Oh :'(. Is this something I can compile into my own version of VDR or will it create other issues for me intergreating it with LinuxMCE? Or is this something I can help the project with? Is MPEG ACC audio tracks available in LinuxMCE 8.10 version of MythTV? I used VDR becuase I read it was better suited to DVB-T.

Basically what are my options to get MPEG ACC working with LinuxMCE to get sound from my TV card? Up until this point we haven't had any TV in the house at all, if it wasn't for the World Cup Rugby and the local DTT transmitter being 2Km up the road from us I wouldn't bother with it. Thanks for your current reply.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:58:06 am »
They have started some recent development in VDR to support this audio track, but nothing is currently available in LinuxMCE. As LinuxMCE doesn't care what version of VDR you are using, feel free to compile you own version of vdr and vdr-plugin-xineliboutput to get going. Good luck, and patches are always welcome.

kiwibum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:19:14 pm »
Thanks Posde. From what I've researched (read from google searches) the problem is the library files not having the latest version of AAC due to licensing restrictions. So it should only be the library files xine uses for it's codecs that need complying rather than VDR. Viewing the recorded VDR files direct in xine shows the video fine but no sound, hence my thinking it's libraries missing codecs rather than VDR or xine requiring compiling as newer versions.  I'm still getting to grips with how this all works so I'm not making a statement, I'm looking for confirmation that my assumptions are correct that it's the libraries FFmpeg or FAAD that are the problem.  Thanks again for your time.
Steve

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:49 am »
As I said: Try to find a VDR/sxfe combination that supports it, and install that into LinuxMCE. As I do not need any station that broadcasts using AAC, I have no real motivation to do the searching myself.