Author Topic: New 1004 Installer Testing  (Read 44769 times)

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »
 ;D
Excellent,

Thanks Thom. Will get to work on it this evening.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »
I can help as well with this, I've just (within the last 2 months) updated a few of the avwizard scripts for HDMI audio and HDMI video. All of it works OOB for my MDs (except the ion2 MD I have)

guliaka

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 12:55:02 am »
Installed 1004 into VMware vm with no problems. Even selected UI2 high for fun and everything came up. Diskless MD came up as well.
Everything genius is simple!! If it is not simple then it is not genius.

gtsupport

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »
Just a thought...

I was unable to play video files on my MD that were ripped on the CORE.  They all played fine on the core without having to install anything extra.  To get them working on the MD I had to install LIBDVDCSS and LIBDVDREAD3.  Would it be possible to make this happen automatically when the create_diskless runs?  (Took me a while to find the libdvdread3 info on a long lost thread on here!)
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »
Install libdvdcss2 on your core before you build the MD and it will automatically install on your MD. There are liability issues and it must be the end user's choice to install and can not be made automatic without user intervention.

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:15 am »
Can I add a suggestion?

How about maintaining a (few) working Virtual machine snapshots? Since so many of us has the capability of running either VMWare, KVM or Virtual Box it could perhaps improve vastly on the resource pool for debugging etc. This will of course not test the install script in its own right, but accelerate the path to more mature core distros, and even allow for easier route to getting physical MDs to work.

This could flatten the learning curve for newcomers... Something worth considering, I believe many potential users (->testers --> contributors) have been lost due to not even getting through 1st install of the most mature beta/DVD snapshot

I have VMWare and would volunteer to create a snapshot (VMWare calls it a "Virtual Appliance") - do we have proper filespace to upload these? (my upload is only 2Mbit, meaning I can not host myself). It would probably be worth just keeping a few WM snapshot, rather than 50 DVD install snapshots...

I will of course get to that snapshot via the installer script, but probably not do create_diskless (no point before installing dvd-libs). It should be a very small issue to then make a wiki (with few pitfalls) for how the setup the virtual NICs, add dvd-libs and run create_diskless, and then new testers could have a working core in no time... I could even write a wiki for how to increase Virtual Disks (since it is a no-brainer in a virtualized environment), should some choose to keep their test install and run a "production core" from that..

In the end, we should be interacting more with the MD than with the core ;)
(and a working 10.10 is probably the better route, even that my 8.10 is acting OK so far - but I haven't received my new USB DVB-S cards yet, they could force me to 10.10 sooner than later)

-Tony

guliaka

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 06:54:18 pm »
1004 installed perfectly on Shuttle GX41, Intel E5700 CPU, 4 GB RAM last night. The only caveat was that it has Intel GPU and AVWizard could not start giving me "Failed to setup X" screen. I disabled "Xconfigure.sh" script per wiki and manually edit xorg.config.pluto.avwizard file by changing "vesa" to "intel" and uncommenting "BusID". After that AVwizard went through and everything is up and running. Orbiter runs on medium setting and 1080p movies playing just perfect.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:20:29 pm by guliaka »
Everything genius is simple!! If it is not simple then it is not genius.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 07:10:05 pm »
can someone _PLEASE_ do the work to make the intel GPUs work OOB?

-Thom

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2011, 08:03:34 pm »
Just reloaded 10.04 and the new installer is much easier and seems to be much faster. One thing I did notice is that mplayer was not loaded even though it is checked as loaded in the web admin media director software list. I did an apt-get install Mplayer but not sure if this is going to grab the correct version needed for LinuxMCE.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:13 pm »
pluto-mplayer package has been fixed 2 minutes ago.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2011, 09:51:10 pm »
so should I unistall Mplayer and do apt-get pluto-mplayer?

Thanks,
Kevin

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »
I just took the plunge and tried out 1004...and so far I'm really impressed.
There are only two issues I encountered, one which I could fix manually...and the other one still has me stumped.
The first issue was the absence of the firmware for my TV-Card Hauppauge Nova HD2. I did some digging in the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DVBworld_HD-2104-USB-S2 and found out that
apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree seems to fix that...I can now scan for TV-Stations.

The other issue I'm having is with asterisk: I can register my phones, and the line, plus I can place outgoing calls, but I can receive none so far. I can see the calls in my router (AVM Fritz!box), but asterisk isn't picking up yet.
----update-----
as far as I can see in the /var/log/asterisk/full there is an issue with the incoming call
"warning [2014] chan_sip: username mismatch, have <fritz.box>, digest has <620>"

"notice [2014] chan_sip.c: failed to authenticate device <sip:01xxxxxxxxx@fritz.fonwlan.box>"

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:03:06 pm by maverick0815 »

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2011, 02:42:38 pm »
I created a ticket for the issue with Asterisk: http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1328

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »
Can I add a suggestion?

How about maintaining a (few) working Virtual machine snapshots? Since so many of us has the capability of running either VMWare, KVM or Virtual Box it could perhaps improve vastly on the resource pool for debugging etc. This will of course not test the install script in its own right, but accelerate the path to more mature core distros, and even allow for easier route to getting physical MDs to work.

This could flatten the learning curve for newcomers... Something worth considering, I believe many potential users (->testers --> contributors) have been lost due to not even getting through 1st install of the most mature beta/DVD snapshot

I have VMWare and would volunteer to create a snapshot (VMWare calls it a "Virtual Appliance") - do we have proper filespace to upload these? (my upload is only 2Mbit, meaning I can not host myself). It would probably be worth just keeping a few WM snapshot, rather than 50 DVD install snapshots...

I will of course get to that snapshot via the installer script, but probably not do create_diskless (no point before installing dvd-libs). It should be a very small issue to then make a wiki (with few pitfalls) for how the setup the virtual NICs, add dvd-libs and run create_diskless, and then new testers could have a working core in no time... I could even write a wiki for how to increase Virtual Disks (since it is a no-brainer in a virtualized environment), should some choose to keep their test install and run a "production core" from that..

In the end, we should be interacting more with the MD than with the core ;)
(and a working 10.10 is probably the better route, even that my 8.10 is acting OK so far - but I haven't received my new USB DVB-S cards yet, they could force me to 10.10 sooner than later)

-Tony

I use virtualbox for testing/debugging my changes, i believe bongo does too.

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »
can someone _PLEASE_ do the work to make the intel GPUs work OOB?

-Thom

I have the bones for doing it but no hrdware for testing it. Does anyone have an intel card that would test this out with me?