Author Topic: New 1004 Installer Testing  (Read 44746 times)

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:11 am »
Hello,

I've spent some time consolidating the old 810 installer process and updating it to a single script for 1004 as well as making a couple of improvements. The improvements/updates include:

• A log file is now generated covering the entire installation process: /var/log/LinuxMCE_Setup.log
  • Additional error checking
  • Performs the apt-get and upgrade for you
  • Updated pre-seed for package preferences method
  • Logging output to the user with date/time stamp for each function

I have had multiple successful VM installs and a few successful physical core installs (the issues I've been running into was more focused on the nVidia X setup post install which have now been corrected for 1004). I'd like for others to test it out before looking at archiving the old process. You can find information on how to use this installer here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1004

Please let me know if you run into issues or if you don't! If you do hit issues please let me know your sys specs (CPU, Memory and video card).

Known Issues with installation process:
  • None at this time

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:41:33 pm by Murdock »

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:56 am »
Murdock I am happy to test your 1004 install script in VM as long as you update me on the intervals to test and what to look out for.
That is what I have been doing for 400 years now with the 0810 Snapshots and release (and maybe update to release).

Maybe you can make a wiki about it, like I did with the 0810 snapshot wiki.
But please make it clear this is just for you to test things, it is in no way the way to go. (disclaimer etc).

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »
Thanks Bongo - the wiki I linked to explains the circumstances and the only issues are the ones I have in the first thread, though that's an issue with either installer. I'm hoping that we'll be able to swap out the old installer soon if we can get some testers to test the new method.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »
Thanks Bongo - the wiki I linked to explains the circumstances and the only issues are the ones I have in the first thread, though that's an issue with either installer. I'm hoping that we'll be able to swap out the old installer soon if we can get some testers to test the new method.

I see the wiki link, but I think your section should not be there and be a page on it's own.
Otherwise it only may work confusing.
Where you can publish versions of the installers to test?

e.g. my snapshot page (which is now absolute).
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Snapshot_overview

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »
I don't really care about where the info is, just as long as it's out there, and I wont' be having versions per se of the installer as the snapshots that you're testing, this is a replacement test of the online installer, whoever can test please do so!

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 11:39:07 pm »
Hi Murdock.

I am jsut about to give this a whirl.

Just a quick query, You mention the Nvidia X setup post install issues.

Was this anything to do with after running the install scripts it was going into a reboot cycle trying to install the nvidia drivers?

Cos I was having major issues with this which seemed to be to do with the nvidia install script if it could not find the graphics card in its database would install the generic nvidia-glx.
Well more specifically would check it was not installed and if it was not would install it. Howeever on my system apt was installing nvidia-glx-260 instead and would then reboot at which time it would again find nvidia-glx missing and try and install causing a reboot cycle.

Regards

Ps I will post my feedback on how the installation went tomorrow once it has finished. I am on a very slow 2-3mb ADSL so installs take a while!

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:38 am »
Thanks fibres, the nvidia issues i hit were based on some grub boot params that i corrected by inserting an update in the installer. I am familiar with the nvidia detection process (ive made a couple of updates so far for 1004) and can work with you to make this plug and play for you. Would you let me know what nvidia card you have?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:22:46 am »
for nvidia install issues, please make a ticket and include the output of /var/log/pluto/nvidia-install.log

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »
Hi Murdock

Good news your install script worked great.

However I still have issues when I do the reboot that it goes into a reboot cycle.
However this is nothing to do with your new install. That worked 100%

Now after the script has finished and I do the reboot as it tells me I go into the same reboot cycle installing nvidia drivers I experienced before.

I have the following Nvidia Graphics Card
Gigabyte 8400GS 512MB GDDR2 HDMI DVI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

The output of nvidia_install.log is as follows

== Begin NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 01:16:36 BST 2011) ==
Card Detected: 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:10c3] (rev a2)
PCI_ID Detected: 10c3
LMCE prefers driver nvidia-glx
installing NEW driver nvidia-glx!
== End NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 01:19:17 BST 2011) ==
== Begin NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 10:33:19 BST 2011) ==
Card Detected: 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:10c3] (rev a2)
Detected installed driver nvidia-glx-260
== End NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 10:33:20 BST 2011) ==
== Begin NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 10:35:00 BST 2011) ==
== End NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 10:35:02 BST 2011) ==
== Begin NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 10:36:42 BST 2011) ==
== End NVidia driver installation (Wed Sep 28 10:36:44 BST 2011) ==

I can get the system to work by going into /etc/init.d/0start_avwizard and commenting out the line that calls /usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh

This then allows the system to boot and the AV Wizard to run and everything seems to go ok from here.

I did install the latest 275 nvidia drivers from the nvidia site before running the install script.

However if we can work out why this is happening and fix it could save other people a lot of headaches.

From what I can make out from the script /usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh it queries the pci_id of the card and if it recognises it it installs a specific nvidia_glx_xxx version. If it does not recognise the pci_id but detects the manufacturer as nvidia it installs nvidia_glx however because nvidia_glx_260 is automatically instaled by the install script apt says that that is the most uptodate package and does not install nvidia_glx which causes the /usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh script to go into a look looking for the presence of nvidia_glx which it does not find as nvidia_glx_260 is installed instead and trying to install it.

Now im not sure if my card is supported by nvidia_glx_260 and the script is just not detecting it, as in the pci_id is not in the /usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh script.
However irrespective of that I suspect that the script is not quite right in thatr it should not go into a reboot loop if the card is not recognised.

If I need to post a ticket in trac then no worries. How do I go about that? Sorry not had to do this before.

Regards

Regards

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:57 pm »
I'll help you fibres, it looks like your graphics card on 10.04 should be running nvidia-glx-185 and not 160, i'm taking a look at the script now.

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »
Would you run this on your device and verify the return is 10c3?
Code: [Select]
lspci -nn | grep -vi "non-vga" | grep -i vga | sed 's/.*://;s/\].*//'

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »
FYI - I've logged trac ticket http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1263 to track this work

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
Hi Murdock.

I will run that when I get home in about 2 hours.

Regards

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 11:41:42 pm »
Yes 10c3 is the output.

Regards

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 01:45:46 am »
Thanks fibres - I've committed update #24871 which updated all the PCI IDs for nvidia for lucid, this included yours as well! What i found odd is that your PCI ID didn't show up under 173 or 96 but did show up under the 260, so the next time the script is invoked for you it will work.

At this point you have a couple of options to get the updated file:

1. wait for the next package compile, which lately has been once every day or so

or

2. download the file directly with the command: wget http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-1004/src/BootScripts/nvidia-install.sh

Since the file has no other dependencies that could hork up and the change was so minimal it shouldn't be a big deal to download it directly, just make sure if you do option 2 you replace the existing file in /usr/pluto/bin/ with the proper permissions. -rwxr-xr-x  (wget downloads items as non-executable, so do a chmod +x /usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh after downloading and placing the file).

Then undo any comments you did for the init scripts and retest!