Author Topic: Perfectly operational LMCE 810 suddenly goes bad on me  (Read 3341 times)

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Perfectly operational LMCE 810 suddenly goes bad on me
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:39:14 am »
I have been running my current LMCE installation without a flaw since beginning of 2011. Some days ago it just stopped. I realise this is most likely Linux related rather than LMCE, but since we have some really knowledgeable people here I'm giving it a try.
OK, so here are my observations:
- No network activity, neither on outer nor inner network. PING does nothing. DHCP does not deliver an IP adress to the inner network

I disconnected the Core and took it into my office and started it. All seems normal, except for when it's time for the LMCE UI to start I get a blank screen. Still no network. I can log into the core via the console and for what I can see all processes needed are running.
dmesg doesn't contain anything alarming.

Where would you look next?

/Joakim

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Perfectly operational LMCE 810 suddenly goes bad on me
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:43 am »
Sounds like a NIC seating problem, or switch problem in your home network.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:46:28 am »
I would check the obiter log for any clues, since you say the UI does not come up.

br
sambuca

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:39:04 pm »
Hi,

I had the exact same problem. While digging I realised that my root partition "/" was 100% full.
This was due to a folder containing I would assume error log or dumps.
/home/coredump/1/

This contained a lot of files. I just removed all of them.
While booting I pressed "CTRL+F8" and noticed it complained about "invalid" user for allmost everything that was loading.
This also prevented me from logging in. Luckily there was a backup file for the users and groups that I just copied back.
/etc/passwd- and /etc/group-

Hope this helps. (Im not at my core ATM so Im typing this from memory)

Karel

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 03:32:06 pm »
Hmm, this is most strange.
The server had malfunctioned for some days when I wrote my question. Being away for some days, and today I picked the server out of the closet to do some investigations as suggested above. Power on - and everything works....

So I seem to have a self healing server, which in one way is very nice, but I hate to have these situations when I cannot find the cause of the fault. Most likely it'll come back again.
Thanks for you good suggestions, I'll save then until it's needed again. ;-)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:08:11 pm »
Hmm, this is most strange.
The server had malfunctioned for some days when I wrote my question. Being away for some days, and today I picked the server out of the closet to do some investigations as suggested above. Power on - and everything works....

So I seem to have a self healing server, which in one way is very nice, but I hate to have these situations when I cannot find the cause of the fault. Most likely it'll come back again.
Thanks for you good suggestions, I'll save then until it's needed again. ;-)
Hi,

I could post similar thread but with 7.10 version.... Sometimes it just goes mad and settles down after few days....
I've seen some strange warnings about sql transactions taking too much time, but I guess my database is also messy after all these years of daily usage.

I've regenerated media database and things seem to be a bit better than before (my living room MD crashed DCERouter when I went into Audio or Video entries on UI2, so I guess this was in relation with media database being messed) ...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.