Author Topic: Plutohome core vs. Mythtv backend  (Read 12011 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Plutohome core vs. Mythtv backend
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:06:06 am »
My first Pluto setup, and I have a structural question before I can even start : I have an old server that is very reliable and want to use it as my Pluto core (it's a Dell Poweredge with dual 1.266 Ghz Xeons, 4Gb RAM, one 18Gb SCSI drive for the OS and then 5x73Gb SCSI drives in a RAID5 for storage). It's a fine machine by all means, but slightly lacking on the CPU speed side.

Question : for my media directors, would it be best to put the PVR350 in the media director or in the core ? I guess that if want to use more than 1 media director at the same time, I should put PVR350 s or PVR500 s in each media director, but would like your advice if you have experience with this kind of setup.

Of particular concern here : will this mean that I will have to pull TV distribution cable and satellite cable to each media director ? If I put, say 3 cards in the core, does this mean I can have PiP Picture in Picture functionality on one MD while watching the 3rd tuner on another MD ?

In general, I don't quite get how the backend / frontend concept combines with video functionality and Plutohome.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Plutohome core vs. Mythtv backend
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:06:32 am »
you only need a pvr card for whole house. you can't run mythtv setup from a core (you can but it's tricky) and you might add one in a md