Author Topic: Configuration Summary  (Read 5019 times)

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Configuration Summary
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:01 am »
Hi Guys

I have an idea I want to run by you guy and see if there is a actual need for this.

I want to write a script that will take your configuration from the db and put it all into a single HTML page.

This will then give you the overview of how your system is configured and will allow you to drill down into each component for the
options linked to it, hopefully I will be able to make a nice visual representation of how all your a/v equipment fits together. Maybe even include the last 100 lines from the log files for each device.

The reason I am thinking about this, is I often see people having issues on the forum and no nice way of them sharing their system configuration.

What do you guys think?
Is this something that is needed and or wanted?
Any suggestions welcome

Regards

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Configuration Summary
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:22:34 am »
make it - show it
enjoy it :)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:01 pm »
Hi Guys

I have an idea I want to run by you guy and see if there is a actual need for this.

I want to write a script that will take your configuration from the db and put it all into a single HTML page.

This will then give you the overview of how your system is configured and will allow you to drill down into each component for the
options linked to it, hopefully I will be able to make a nice visual representation of how all your a/v equipment fits together. Maybe even include the last 100 lines from the log files for each device.

The reason I am thinking about this, is I often see people having issues on the forum and no nice way of them sharing their system configuration.

What do you guys think?
Is this something that is needed and or wanted?
Any suggestions welcome

Regards

If you can do this you will be my hero of the week.
Maybe you can automatically make forum post, and pastebin.com the logs.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:43:00 pm »
This could go on the user pages as well, well maybe not the logs, but all the other info.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:49:27 pm »
Good stuff.

Will start playing with some ideas tonite, and work on reverse engineering the tables.

How they link and how I can show the information :)

I will keep you guys updated on the progress, BTW is would I be able to post the html pages in the forum?

BTW, would you prefer it to be done in perl/cgi or php?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:05:16 pm by PreDeToR_ »

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:55 pm »
Hi Guys

This is still very much a work in progress, but I thought I would share what I have so far.

All sections will be hidden by default, all you will see is the installation number, and from there you will be able to drill down into each section.

I added some colors to to the tables to you can see what is linked to what.

For A/V Equipment I still wanna list all the inputs and outputs and then show where they go to.
What I have in mind for FK_xxx settings it that it will have a anchor that will link to the device when you click on it.

This is gonna take a while to get working like what I have in mind and I'm still trying to get myself familiar with the db and how things fit together.

Anyway, just a quick example at http://pastebin.com/SJjXmX0u , just copy the code and save it into a html document.

Let me know what you think

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 03:50:29 pm »
Hi Guys

Im making some good progress on this, I am working on two models (1.Pretty Display 2.HTML table dump), but have also run into a bit of a issue.

The HTML file I am making is already sitting at 15Mb and that is only showing the information out of pluto_main.
I know the normal pastebin doesnt allow files that big, any suggestions on how we can share the configuration summary files?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
Hi Guys

This is still very much a work in progress, but I thought I would share what I have so far.

All sections will be hidden by default, all you will see is the installation number, and from there you will be able to drill down into each section.

I added some colors to to the tables to you can see what is linked to what.

For A/V Equipment I still wanna list all the inputs and outputs and then show where they go to.
What I have in mind for FK_xxx settings it that it will have a anchor that will link to the device when you click on it.

This is gonna take a while to get working like what I have in mind and I'm still trying to get myself familiar with the db and how things fit together.

Anyway, just a quick example at http://pastebin.com/SJjXmX0u , just copy the code and save it into a html document.

Let me know what you think

I think it is a bit unclear?

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »
Hi Bongowongo

Here is a look at the two version I'm working on:
http://pastebin.com/9SrEeyA4
The idea of this version is that all the devices will be grouped together by parent device, and all the device's settings will be in the same block/table.

The other Idea im playing with is this, where I just dump the data from the tables into a html format.
http://pastebin.com/WQcSZrAR

IF you look at the 2nd example I have implemented the linking of the Foreign Key to the primary key.

Which one would be easier to use?

If you can tell me what times you are online I can try and catch you on IRC or skype or gtalk, and explain where I am thinking of going.