Author Topic: linuxmce hardware  (Read 11268 times)

tyger

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
linuxmce hardware
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »
hi, im using/watching linuxmce for years, now i got a bit bored so i started thinking about developing linuxmce hardware, good idea? any suggestions?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: linuxmce hardware
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:21:35 pm »
Hardware?
Could you elaborate?

Cores?
To sell?

Or making DIY kits?

tyger

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »
hardware as in for example communication between core and devices, instead of using hardware from zwave or knx using hardware designed for linuxmce.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:07:17 pm »
LinuxMCE uses a protocol called DCE to communicate between devices:

You will need to read the Developing a DCE Device section in the wiki, as well as the Developers Guide, and all literature relating to DCE.

You have the choice of developing a DCE device in Ruby or C++ using libDCE. Keep this in mind when designing your hardware. The DCE libraries themselves are fairly cross platform, and can run on a variety of processor architectures.

-Thom

tyger

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:23:07 pm »
allready did that some time ago, my c++ is way outdated but i will have to focus on the hardware itself first anyway.
Maybe someone can help me out with software later on.
I was thinking of creating a modular system, so it would be only one type of device (software) and in hardware you can turn it in to anything, like a base with sensor, or base with switch or with relay for switching anythingthe base if for communicating and recives the commands from linuxmce.
what you make of it you can just click on the base (example).

what do you think? suggestions?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:24:19 pm »
Go for it. :) We'd love some LinuxMCE specific lego hardware. We'll try to help out wherever we can. :)

-Thom

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:10:24 am »
allready did that some time ago, my c++ is way outdated but i will have to focus on the hardware itself first anyway.
Maybe someone can help me out with software later on.
I was thinking of creating a modular system, so it would be only one type of device (software) and in hardware you can turn it in to anything, like a base with sensor, or base with switch or with relay for switching anythingthe base if for communicating and recives the commands from linuxmce.
what you make of it you can just click on the base (example).

what do you think? suggestions?

Could you elaborate on who you are?
What your abilities are?
And of course elaborate more and what you are planning to do?
Maybe it is easier to talk on irc?

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:49 am »
i have been thinking about the same thing, specifically because in in the process of assembling a CNC machine so i can do some PCB isolation to make circuit boards. The first thing i was going to research was a network clock that would connect to the core and be able to react to events. But, i have to finish the CNC first.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:32:38 am »
use a Panda or a Beagleboard and prototype a device running linux that runs your DCE device.

The nice thing is, once the device attempts to connect, if it receives an INVALID DEVICE, then it can request to create a device for the new device automatically.

It would make a lot of sense to use MeeGo core as the OS of choice, to build a system image, as I have a lot of experience with this, and it would be able to make something that could come up very quickly (especially when using resume from a non-rewritable memory image), to have a fully functional linux system ready for creating an aware appliance.

-Thom
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:39:00 am by tschak909 »

tyger

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »
The idea: using powerlines to send data to the devices lights for example, thats pretty simple, it tought this was the best solution because you need power everywhere anyway, so i started thinking why use it just for that?
Why not use it for multimedia too? looking into that now, the bigest problem is bandwidth as they only go until 500Mbit at the moment. still looking into that anyway.
Also i have a 3D printer so afterwords i can cover it up a bit.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »
Powerline transmission is typically avoided for all but the simplest of things precisely because of the noisy nature of power mains, which often require much power conditioning and phase coupling to make them very reliable.

-Thom

tyger

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »
so wireless? or what do you think?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »
If you're serious about making new hardware, spend some time combing through new databooks of up and coming semiconductor pieces. There is a lot of wonderful stuff happening in the ultra-wide-band transciever field.

-Thom

tyger

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:10 pm »
Seems like you know a thing or two

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 06:34:38 pm »