General > Wiki

Task | Identify structure of wiki | reqruiting / assessing

(1/10) > >>

bongowongo:

--- Quote from: purps on August 27, 2011, 10:49:14 pm ---Is there any easy way to produce/view a hierarchical list of how the wiki is currently laid out? Or just a list of pages showing how the categories are organised? Just from the point of view of working out what needs doing and where.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: bongowongo on August 28, 2011, 11:06:08 am ---Possy told me that the following page could give you somewhat of a hierarchy
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Special:SpecialPages

--- End quote ---

Talking with Purps in a different topic about researching the structure of the wiki.
It is very important to understand how the linuxmce wiki is organized. I know that a lot of articles are inherited from Pluto. This makes information sometimes out of date, not catogorised properly, in the end it doesn't help to have a clear wiki.

After identifying the problems a task more further down the road woudl be to unify or standardize the pages
a helpfull link provided by Purps.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV:Manual_of_Style

This will be a complex task and will take longer to complete.

purps:
I'm assuming we can't divide the wiki into separate sections for 710, 810, 1004 etc because a lot of information applies to all of them? I guess a tagging system that says what is relevant to what version similar to what we have now is the way forward there. definitely need to make that look nice though.

Sorry, going off topic there already. To be honest, I don't really have any feel for how the wiki is currently organised, nor do I have a feel for how it SHOULD be organised. I thought it was just a huge bunch of pages with the relevant categories written in there, and that some dictates what goes where. Where are the categories and sub-categories decided, is that the real question here?

twodogs:
I have not noticed much of any organization to the site. If I need to find something, I get completely out of the site and do a Google search "LinuxMCE telecom configuration" or something. Then I find a whole lot more than I could ever find in the wiki. A lot of the info and tutorials are alphabetical by title, which means if someone wants to find a tutorial about setting up a RAID, they must look under "C" for "Create RAID"

I think the front page of the wiki can be brought under control. Its when you start to drill down that the problems really get bad. So here is my suggestion:

Looking at the "Support" heading on the wiki front page, it seems to me that "Hardware" and "Troubleshooting" do not need to be there. I'd suggest that everything in those categories be moved to "Tutorials/Guides". Then we should really organize the "Tutorials/Guides" category. Lacking any better idea, why not organize it as it appears on the TV screen - Lights, Media, Climate, Security, Telecom, and Advanced? Then we might want to add "Hardware", and "Installation". If these titles need more info we could use parentheses, ie Lights (Home Automation). I think that all Hardware or Troubleshooting articles would fit nicely in those categories.

DragonK:

--- Quote from: twodogs on August 29, 2011, 05:16:42 am --- why not organize it as it appears on the TV screen - Lights, Media, Climate, Security, Telecom, and Advanced?
--- End quote ---

For me This Sounds like a good idea.
Than it would be easier to find what your looking for.

Karel

Kezza:

--- Quote from: twodogs on August 29, 2011, 05:16:42 am ---
I think the front page of the wiki can be brought under control. Its when you start to drill down that the problems really get bad. So here is my suggestion:

Looking at the "Support" heading on the wiki front page, it seems to me that "Hardware" and "Troubleshooting" do not need to be there. I'd suggest that everything in those categories be moved to "Tutorials/Guides". Then we should really organize the "Tutorials/Guides" category. Lacking any better idea, why not organize it as it appears on the TV screen - Lights, Media, Climate, Security, Telecom, and Advanced? Then we might want to add "Hardware", and "Installation". If these titles need more info we could use parentheses, ie Lights (Home Automation). I think that all Hardware or Troubleshooting articles would fit nicely in those categories.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about this idea today but using the web admin breakdown as it expands the list a little more (such as irrigation and events along with network related info, power usage monitoring etc etc).

Either way I think it could be a good starting point to break the site down into manageable areas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version