Author Topic: install problems on 10.04  (Read 3507 times)

gtsupport

• Veteran
    • View Profile
install problems on 10.04
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »
Encountering strange goings on...!

Just installed kubuntu 10.04 along with LinuxMCE as per the instructions in the wiki:-
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1004

All went well, and I managed to get the AV wizard up, setup the required settings etc, and then linuxmce started up for the first time.  Went through the house wizard, or whatever its called to assign z-wave, capture cards etc, and everything was fine, then I had the usual orbiter screen UI2 with alphablending.  First thing I noticed is that there were no flickr pictures in the background, but the internet connection does work, as I can load up web pages from "computing", also my other devices are assigned IP addresses, so I know the dhcp is working, and that the other nic is ok. (had problems with it on 8.10, the R8169 issue).  Anyway, missing flickr aside everything seemed fine.  My problem now is that I rebooted back into 08.10 to check some settings, but now when I boot up 10.04 it stops at "Generating orbiter.....Done"  I can switch to other terminals and see from tty1 "starting launch manager...OK"

No matter what I press, or do linuxmce doesn't want to appear. (been through pressing keys as if the av wizard doesn't appear)
If it log into tty2 and run the mce-install.sh, followed by the post-install.sh, after rebooting I get the AV wizard again, followed by the orbiter back on the screen as before, and all my settings from the first house wizard are still there and working.  Rebooting again leaves me with the same problem of linuxmce not loading.  Am I missing some really basic step of the install process, or can I check a log file somewhere to see where its hanging up.  I know the #1 rule is to be patient, so I thought, "sod it, I'll leave it overnight" and in the morning the pc had switched itself off!  Nice one ???

I know that its still in development mode, but loads of people seem to have it working, so I must be missing something here.  I even tried formatting the partition, re-installing kubuntu again and trying it all afresh....still the same.
argh!!

Any ideas??
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: install problems on 10.04
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:26:12 am »
did you select UI2 'WITH' Alpha blending?  (the 3rd option)   If so.. its not working (at least on mine)..   Select the 2nd in the list.  then regen.

I also had no flickr pictures and video was black screen with audio both tv and ripped dvds.

Dennis

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:35 am »
For those who were not in the IRC channel,

yes, there is a bug in 10.04, where xfwm4's compositor does not get enabled, and thus, alpha blending does not work. The fellas upstream at Ubuntu decided to change where xfwm4 puts its settings (and other related bits)

There has been a patch filed by Murdock, but until it is in place, you can run xfwm-tweaks-settings, and turn on the compositor yourself, and alpha compositing will work.

-Thom

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:45 am »
oooohhhh!   Thanks Thom...

I'll check the settings again and re-try alpha blending.

Dennis