Author Topic: Workgroup Wiki/Manual  (Read 21434 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Workgroup Wiki/Manual
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »
I'd like to help.

http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »
Is there any easy way to produce/view a hierarchical list of how the wiki is currently laid out? Or just a list of pages showing how the categories are organised? Just from the point of view of working out what needs doing and where.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

frustrated

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 06:39:20 am »
I'd like to help.  I'm new, but I'm a fast learner.

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 10:26:04 am »
I'll help where I can.

It would be good to have a central place for communication. Is it possible to have something like a forum board or even a child board for wiki under users or developers?

The install documentation appears to be massive and I had planned to go through all those pages and add the category install to them to group all the pages together and then start hacking out duplication etc. Maybe something that could be applied else where as we find things needing to be cleaned up?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 10:55:00 am »
I'll help where I can.

It would be good to have a central place for communication. Is it possible to have something like a forum board or even a child board for wiki under users or developers?

The install documentation appears to be massive and I had planned to go through all those pages and add the category install to them to group all the pages together and then start hacking out duplication etc. Maybe something that could be applied else where as we find things needing to be cleaned up?

Your wish is my command
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/board,355.0.html

And welcome

twodogs
frustrated
kezza

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 11:06:08 am »
Is there any easy way to produce/view a hierarchical list of how the wiki is currently laid out? Or just a list of pages showing how the categories are organised? Just from the point of view of working out what needs doing and where.

Possy told me that the following page could give you somewhat of a hierarchy
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Special:SpecialPages

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 11:55:29 am »
Possy told me that the following page could give you somewhat of a hierarchy
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Special:SpecialPages

That is going to be very useful.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:36 pm »
That is going to be very useful.

What is your goal that you want to accomplish? You want to make a topologie of all the pages?
Do I smell a task :) ?

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 10:00:28 pm »
I'd like to help as well...  ;D

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 10:06:52 pm »
What is your goal that you want to accomplish? You want to make a topologie of all the pages?
Do I smell a task :) ?

Sorry bongo, I missed this reply. What do you mean topologie? Does this refer to the side pane contents bar we've been talking about?

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:32 am »
Topology comes from the mixture of 2 words: topos (place) ans logos (word/explanation/intelligence). It's about how it came to look the way it does (like landscaping), the reason things look the way they do.

So, the question could be rephrased as: are you trying to create a logical tree of the subjects covered in all existing pages?
If bongowongo meant something else, he/she can clarify (what i explained is the meaning the sentence carries).

The link proposed above links to all special pages, that will not give you what you are looking for.

I realized that people need some help with the actual use of the wiki software, so I wrote a couple of articles. Please read the articles linked on my user page. Look at the section titled "ongoing", and read the articles on categories. You will find a link in it that will give you access to the structure you are looking for in the section "How to display the index of the existing categories".
Just so you know, there was no predefined structure, so all the categories end up forming a flat structure instead of a tree.
Categories are the equivalent of folders. They should be hierarchical.

What needs to happen now:
  • create a list of top categories
  • create some subcategories
  • recategorize pages by placing them in the subcategories

The top of the tree should not change if it's comprehensive when created.
Also, no page should be placed in a category. The proper place should be a subcategory. That way, categories will automatically create the structure you are looking for, and enable people to drill down subject matters.

If there is no clearly predefined structure, we can not expect people to place their writings in the proper place. We need a page instructing people on how to pick the right categories, rather than merely telling them to categorize. It's simply not enough.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 05:03:26 pm »
Topology comes from the mixture of 2 words: topos (place) ans logos (word/explanation/intelligence). It's about how it came to look the way it does (like landscaping), the reason things look the way they do.

So, the question could be rephrased as: are you trying to create a logical tree of the subjects covered in all existing pages?
If bongowongo meant something else, he/she can clarify (what i explained is the meaning the sentence carries).

The link proposed above links to all special pages, that will not give you what you are looking for.

I realized that people need some help with the actual use of the wiki software, so I wrote a couple of articles. Please read the articles linked on my user page. Look at the section titled "ongoing", and read the articles on categories. You will find a link in it that will give you access to the structure you are looking for in the section "How to display the index of the existing categories".
Just so you know, there was no predefined structure, so all the categories end up forming a flat structure instead of a tree.
Categories are the equivalent of folders. They should be hierarchical.

What needs to happen now:
  • create a list of top categories
  • create some subcategories
  • recategorize pages by placing them in the subcategories

The top of the tree should not change if it's comprehensive when created.
Also, no page should be placed in a category. The proper place should be a subcategory. That way, categories will automatically create the structure you are looking for, and enable people to drill down subject matters.

If there is no clearly predefined structure, we can not expect people to place their writings in the proper place. We need a page instructing people on how to pick the right categories, rather than merely telling them to categorize. It's simply not enough.

Yes this is what I meant. But how do you educate people? Maybe make it impossible for them to make a general catagory so they are forced to make an subcatagory?

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »
But how do you educate people?

We need to try to communicate our methods upfront.
Write a page that will give orientation like the one here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Contributing_to_LMCE

Maybe make it impossible for them to make a general catagory so they are forced to make an subcategory?

I don't know if that's possible.
We need to educate people, I don't know any other way.

Also, we need to stay on top of it on a daily basis and clean up. That's a job for administrators (they know the subjects and where things should belong).

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
We need to try to communicate our methods upfront.
Write a page that will give orientation like the one here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Contributing_to_LMCE

I don't know if that's possible.
We need to educate people, I don't know any other way.

Also, we need to stay on top of it on a daily basis and clean up. That's a job for administrators (they know the subjects and where things should belong).

Well my cleanup consisted of deleting 5900350935 spam pages a day. So there was no real normal time left. I see now the spamming is under control. But I am more fan for fixed catagories.

mcefan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
Maybe a higher number of administrators?