Author Topic: netflix scenario  (Read 3437 times)

iberium

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Innovative Sight & Sound
netflix scenario
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:33:01 pm »
I've been helping out a friend setup his lmce system at home and he has a tv that has a netflix button directly on his remote.  How do we go about making the scenario work?  I tried adding a new input source for the tv and putting its code in there.  Is there a better way to do this?

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: netflix scenario
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »
You can control the roku players via telnet. I don't know about the tvs... but if so, you could setup a netflix template (not netflix_telnet) to change input and control the netflix app... I use the roku, and it works great. All our remotes/input devices work netflix now, and it is remarkably convenient. Alternatively you could teach the netflix template to translate your current remote and work it all that way via blasters/rs232...
I never quit... I just ping out.

iberium

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Innovative Sight & Sound
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:43 am »
Its actually an app built in to the tv.  Its one of the new sharps.  Im wondering if I should treat the app like its a new device and use the tv with a special input that has the app's start ir code in place, or just try to use basic cable commands?  If I do the later, how do I tell it what type of remote to use?  It would just need basic navigation.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:39:38 am »
The simplest solution is yes, to create a new AV command, and map it to an existing non-pluto remote, like DVD (you'll be able to do this when you map inputs on your TV), if you select anything other than External Device, then it will simply add a new embedded device to the TV, and the media plugin will change the remote to that device. The closest match out of the box is the non-pluto DVD remote. Your TV will need to implement the move up, move down, move left, move right, enter, and back commands so that the arrow buttons will work.

Should you wish to change the remote to something not covered in that media type, you'll need to edit the Netflix child device of your TV's device templateā€¦and add an entry to "Design Objects to use as Remotes" in the template. There is, for example, a Hulu remote that can be used that has the requisite buttons.

Should you want to implement a new remote, you'll need to watch my screencasts.

-Thom