Author Topic: NEWS: rc Time  (Read 17009 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: NEWS: rc Time
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 12:28:20 am »
OK cool, glad I am not talking out of my botty there.

Just to reiterate for those of you not aware, if like me you have a working system that you don't want to lose, make a backup using Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php and give the RC a go! And most importantly, report back any problems with a new ticket http://svn.linuxmce.org/
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 12:56:05 am »
This is a great step guys! And couldnt have come at a better time. I have just today ordered the parts for my new Core.

Are the apt sources.list fixed in this version or do we still need to update them?

Regards

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 02:33:07 am »
apt-get update and apt-get upgrade brings you to rc1 level

I did this.  The update appeared to complete without issue.  I'll see if things break for me, but at the moment I don't have a complete system configured anyway. :/

dextaslab

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • modlog.net
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:01 am »
Excellent News, and huge thanks to ALL who have helped :-)

On another note, I'm guessing mirror server is getting hammered with people downloading the new ISO, I'm giving it another go because it got to 2.8GB and stopped, perhaps a torrent might be a better way to share the load? I also have some space on my hosted server to act as a mirror if interested?

Oh, and I'm running 10.04 on the core so I guess this doesn't effect me at the moment, accept minor non-OS dependant fix's that may filter through (scripts, etc..)?

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »
Hi Guys

I have put up a mirror of the 8.10 RC1. Anyone having speed issues with the main site are welcome to try it.

http://www.linuxmce.tele-magic.co.uk

I am more than happy to make this an official mirror. If an Admin could get in contact to let me know how I do this would be great.

Regards

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »
To whom it may concern:

Feel free to mirror all or part of http://linuxmce.iptp.org - Leave a note in the download section of the wiki about it. Feel free to setup a torrent as well.

You have no need to ask for permission, you are free to do as you please :)

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »
Whoop whoop, will update tonite and see if everything still works.

JerryWS98

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:51 am »
I installed RC 1 today, and I've got to say that it ROCKS!  I've got MythTV working, have watched a bit of a DVD, and installed a couple of orbiters with no issues!  I wish I could buy everyone who put work into this a drink.  Ya'll certainly deserve it! 

Cheers,
Jerry

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 02:22:12 pm »
I wish I could buy everyone who put work into this a drink.  Ya'll certainly deserve it! 
Just donate and let them get drunk ;-)

westlock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 04:23:53 pm »
I seem to be having a the time of my life trying to just get the release candidate downloaded.  I've opted to try and check out from the repository following wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1004 but alas that failed on the 16th video wizard download for some reason.  Are there any other download links where the release candidate can be downloaded from?  

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »
Hi Westlock. Please see my above post! You are more than welcome to download from my mirror!

I have put up a mirror of the 8.10 RC1. Anyone having speed issues with the main site are welcome to try it.

http://www.linuxmce.tele-magic.co.uk

westlock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 05:30:35 pm »
Okay and how to rsync a mirror for others.  I have two downloads active on different computers.  One from the main site and one from fibres tele-magic.co.uk site but both are looking like they will be awhile.  Can this be built from the svn repositories as I mention in my above post or is that page set for obsoleteness or could it use an update?  In the mean time I'll crash out for a few hours and hope the downloads complete the 3.3GB task.  Was a late night.

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00:56 pm »
Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work!

I have recently completed my purchases for a test-setup of LMCE at home. I have the 8.10 version on DVD since just before the RC. I'll give the latest version a go. Will it be possible to upgrade from RC to v 1.0 when it is done?

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 12:23:39 am »
Well I am most of way through first install of RC1. I have listened to Sarah and selected first lot of options. Just waiting for it to install all the bits.

The first thing I noticed is that after the ubuntu install it did not give me the option to install the restricted drivers.
Even when I went into the option that said hardware. It didnt give any options just an empty box.

Well we will see what happens once it loads up!

Regards

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 01:16:58 am »
The first thing I noticed is that after the ubuntu install it did not give me the option to install the restricted drivers.
Even when I went into the option that said hardware. It didnt give any options just an empty box.
If it is an nVidia card it may be that the late version use the noveau driver instead of the proprietary driver. But I also read that some distros (including *buntu?) now distribute the proprietary driver. Could be that if you said yes to the EULA before you don't have to do it again?

Open a terminal on the desktop and run
$ sudo dmesg | grep nvidia

If you get a hit you'll see a line saying: "nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel." Otherwise it could be using the noveau driver.