Author Topic: Never underestimate the power of real switches  (Read 3626 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Never underestimate the power of real switches
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:59 am »
This morning SWMBO came to me, and asked me how to open/close a specific blind because all the Orbiter said something about network error. I told her about the wall switch, she remembered. Off she went.

A few minutes later I looked at one of the Orbiter (a WebDT) and saw it up and running, and wondered, why SWMBO said something about network errors...

End of story: There was a power outage that lasted longer than the UPS was able to carry the core. After the power was back up, the core came back and all the Orbiter came back to live. Never underestimate real switches.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Never underestimate the power of real switches
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:00:23 pm »
Or do not underestimate the power of staying single

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »
 :)
But in the cases when you are not single, and "Daddy is working on the computer again" re-imaging the core, and have yet had the time to add in all 30 of my zwave devices, never underestimate, the power of the switch, or a good table-top controller, I have 2 Intermatic HA07's and both the wife and the kids know how to use them.

Perhaps over the weekend I will get the Zwave added back into my core.

Best Regards,

Seth

p.s. I understand Posde, as when your whole house relies on that screen and their remote, or a button on an orbiter, how quickly they forget about the switch, and or wall module that actually is connected to the light.  Hehe.
Technology is a wonderful thing. But when you are born into a house, that uses the TV's to work the lights, and that is all you have ever known, and the screen goes away...... Funny Stuff.
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:20 pm »
Quote from: seth link=topic=11872.msg83057#msg83057

p.s. I understand Posde, as when your whole house relies on that screen and their remote, or a button on an orbiter, how quickly they forget about the switch, and or wall module that actually is connected to the light.  Hehe.
Technology is a wonderful thing. But when you are born into a house, that uses the TV's to work the lights, and that is all you have ever known, and the screen goes away...... Funny Stuff.

Lol, what do the kids do when they go to their friend's house where there isn't any HA? "Excuse me Mrs Anderson, can you help me set the network settings on my phone so I can turn on the bathroom light? And can I put a rush on that request?"

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54:02 pm »
My children are only allowed to play in LinuxMCE compatible houses.

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:38 pm »
 :D
It is funny you say this:

Lol, what do the kids do when they go to their friend's house where there isn't any HA? "Excuse me Mrs Anderson, can you help me set the network settings on my phone so I can turn on the bathroom light? And can I put a rush on that request?"

My oldest is 5. The first time we went to my brothers place, she walked into the playroom, and stood there. She is used to the lights coming on when she enters a room, with a motion sensor. This also turns the light off if no media is being watched, and there is no movement for 10 minutes. So she is standing there in the dark, in my brothers basement, waiting for the lights. His youngest came down, and turn on the swtich. And My daughters says "Wow, you're house is slower than mine. It took forever for your lights to come on." To which my niece replied, that all she had to do was turn on the switch at bottom of stairs. My daughter said "But I could not see the blue light for your switch." (My Zwave light switches in off mode have a nice bright Blue LED) My niece didn't know how to respond.

That is spoiled.

Best Regards,

Seth

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »
 :D  :D  :D

My children are only allowed to play in LinuxMCE compatible houses.

That should be on a T-Shirt.  Sell them from the wiki page.......

Seth

hurricane

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 08:41:27 pm »
Remember the days when everyone had the clock flashing on the VCR because no one knew how to set it? No one wanted to read the instruction book to figure that out. Sometimes technology overestimates the willingness of people to learn.