Author Topic: 0810 Web oorbiter - no buttons!!  (Read 12039 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: 0810 Web oorbiter - no buttons!!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:32 pm »
I don't know, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you configured the proxy orbiter correctly.  My web orbiters don't  have IP addresses assigned to them and they all work just fine.  Did you follow these instructions? http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Web_Orbiter_2.0

Don't forget rule number 1.

I'm not sure what all this IP talk is about either. The machine itself will have an IP associated with it, of course, but the orbiters are independent of that, are they not? After you have entered the orbiter URL, and logged in, you can choose any web orbiter you have created.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 11:54:25 pm »
I'm not sure what all this IP talk is about either. The machine itself will have an IP associated with it, of course, but the orbiters are independent of that, are they not? After you have entered the orbiter URL, and logged in, you can choose any web orbiter you have created.

Cheers,
Matt.

I'm confused, too.  I don't know why the Web Orbiter would get an IP.  I was scratching my head about that one.

So, I've recreated the Web Orbiter.  The IPs that were being added aren't now.  I think I know what may have triggered the weird behaviour before, but it's just speculation on my part, so I'll leave it out of this thread for now.

I browsed to the web orbiter's URL which in my case is http://core/linuxmce-admin/weborbiter.php, logged in, and selected the only Web Orbiter I have so far in my system. Once again, my screen is blank except for some buttons (Home, Back, Refresh, Exit, Logout).  Also, /var/log/pluto/0_web_orbiter.log has this, over and over again:

03-08-2011 17:39:37
Attempting to create socket on host 192.168.80.1 port 3461 ... OK.
socket_connect() failed.
Reason: (111) Connection refused
Closing socket ... OK.

I'm going to guess a service that should be running isn't.  Or, something else is broken.

BTW, I'm not randomly changing things or doing anything else odd.  I'm following the wiki articles for the few things I've tried to do so far.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:47 am »
I'm confused, too.  I don't know why the Web Orbiter would get an IP.  I was scratching my head about that one.

So, I've recreated the Web Orbiter.  The IPs that were being added aren't now.  I think I know what may have triggered the weird behaviour before, but it's just speculation on my part, so I'll leave it out of this thread for now.

I browsed to the web orbiter's URL which in my case is http://core/linuxmce-admin/weborbiter.php, logged in, and selected the only Web Orbiter I have so far in my system. Once again, my screen is blank except for some buttons (Home, Back, Refresh, Exit, Logout).  Also, /var/log/pluto/0_web_orbiter.log has this, over and over again:

03-08-2011 17:39:37
Attempting to create socket on host 192.168.80.1 port 3461 ... OK.
socket_connect() failed.
Reason: (111) Connection refused
Closing socket ... OK.

I'm going to guess a service that should be running isn't.  Or, something else is broken.

BTW, I'm not randomly changing things or doing anything else odd.  I'm following the wiki articles for the few things I've tried to do so far.

Did you change the name of your core to core or are you using DNS to resolve that name? 

I'm not accusing you of randomly changing things, but from my experience it was the things that seemed insignificant that caused the most problems.  I'm pretty sure if you changed the name of your core you'll have a problem loading the xp orbiter... I think...

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 02:56:28 am »
Did you change the name of your core to core or are you using DNS to resolve that name? 

"core" is in DNS.  I left the hostname on the core alone (dcerouter).

I'm not accusing you of randomly changing things, but from my experience it was the things that seemed insignificant that caused the most problems.  I'm pretty sure if you changed the name of your core you'll have a problem loading the xp orbiter... I think...

Then I wonder what I may have done.

I still can't get the web orbiter to work. I've regenerated it 30 times.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:46 am »
Did you TRY plugging a PC or device into LMCE's internal network? I'm not clever enough to explain why it might not be working with your current network setup, but in the name of diagnosing the problem, it would be an idea to try this.

Cheers,
Matt.

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »
Did you TRY plugging a PC or device into LMCE's internal network? I'm not clever enough to explain why it might not be working with your current network setup, but in the name of diagnosing the problem, it would be an idea to try this.

No.  I'll try right now.

Question: can a Web Orbiter be created without having done anything else, such as defining rooms, adding media, etc.?  I don't know if the icons are created based on how my system is currently configured.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:51 pm »
Question: can a Web Orbiter be created without having done anything else, such as defining rooms, adding media, etc.?  I don't know if the icons are created based on how my system is currently configured.

Yes. You can create one straight away, regardless of what media/rooms are present. You need at least one room of course, but you'll always have that because that's where the core is!

Incidentally, you can select a room for the orbiter in web admin, as this changes the default room for that orbiter, but this isn't necessary for a working orbiter.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 04:04:57 pm »
I just noticed your log changed.  The first one was no route to host which is basically a bad address...usually.  The second is different.  You're hitting the core but you're being rejected. 

I'm thinking authentication but it's unlikely, especially since the page loads.  So my second thought it the firewall.  Since you can ping the core which kind of indicated the firewall is down, try changing the port for the proxy orbiter.  Try 3462, but I personally would jump to 3468 and work my way backwards until it broke again.  Although with the firewall down the core shouldn't be rejecting packets sent to any port.  That forces the question... Are you certain you disabled the firewall?  I'm with Purps, plug that PC into the LMCE network and see what happens. 

Personally I had to dismantle my existing network, build LMCE, learn what to expect and how it works (not that I've completely learned LMCe and how it works), then rebuilt my existing network around lmce.  At the end of the day I ended up building the two networks adjacent to each other.  LMCE is it's own self contained network equipped with it's own access points and NAS.  From a birds eye view LMCE and my windows network are two segregated networks that doesn't even know the other exist.  I have a router sitting between the two networks (technically 4 networks but why get complicated) to allow specific devices like my network monitor, kitchen orbiter, and terminal server to access the lmce network.  LMCE doesn't have to go outside it's network for anything.  This allows me to stick to the supported methods and rule out outside influences when there are problems.  Just a tip...

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »

Tried - exact same result.  The log stayed the same, too.

FYI: the laptop I used was assigned the IP 192.168.80.130.

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »
Yes. You can create one straight away, regardless of what media/rooms are present. You need at least one room of course, but you'll always have that because that's where the core is!

Good to know.

Incidentally, you can select a room for the orbiter in web admin, as this changes the default room for that orbiter, but this isn't necessary for a working orbiter.

I wasn't sure about this either.  I'll leave this out for now then.  However, if I did want to set the room, would I do it for the parent device (Generic Web Orbiter), or the child device (Proxy Orbiter), or both?

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »
I wasn't sure about this either.  I'll leave this out for now then.  However, if I did want to set the room, would I do it for the parent device (Generic Web Orbiter), or the child device (Proxy Orbiter), or both?

The child (it's the children that appear under Wizard -> Devices - Orbiters FYI, so you can just do it there).

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 05:43:16 pm »
I just noticed your log changed.  The first one was no route to host which is basically a bad address...usually.  The second is different.  You're hitting the core but you're being rejected.

portmapper is refusing connections. The exports look okay to me:

Code: [Select]
## BEGIN : InternalStorageDevices

## END : InternalStorageDevices

## BEGIN : CommonDiskless

/home                   192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
/usr/pluto/orbiter      192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
/usr/pluto/keys         192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
/usr/pluto/deb-cache    192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
/usr/pluto/var          192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
/var/spool/asterisk     192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

## END : CommonDiskless

## BEGIN : DisklessMDRoots

## END : DisklessMDRoots

nfs and portmapper are running.  Here's the output of "rpcinfo -p":

Code: [Select]
program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100004    2   udp    647  ypserv
    100004    1   udp    647  ypserv
    100004    2   tcp    648  ypserv
    100004    1   tcp    648  ypserv
    100009    1   udp    650  yppasswdd
 600100069    1   udp    653  fypxfrd
 600100069    1   tcp    654  fypxfrd
    100024    1   udp  38766  status
    100024    1   tcp  52276  status
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   udp  41824  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  41824  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  41824  nlockmgr
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   tcp  40917  nlockmgr
    100021    3   tcp  40917  nlockmgr
    100021    4   tcp  40917  nlockmgr
    100005    1   udp  36377  mountd
    100005    1   tcp  47148  mountd
    100005    2   udp  36377  mountd
    100005    2   tcp  47148  mountd
    100005    3   udp  36377  mountd
    100005    3   tcp  47148  mountd

I'm thinking authentication but it's unlikely, especially since the page loads.  So my second thought it the firewall.  Since you can ping the core which kind of indicated the firewall is down, try changing the port for the proxy orbiter.  Try 3462, but I personally would jump to 3468 and work my way backwards until it broke again.

Tried several different port numbers - no change.

Although with the firewall down the core shouldn't be rejecting packets sent to any port.  That forces the question... Are you certain you disabled the firewall?  I'm with Purps, plug that PC into the LMCE network and see what happens. 

Yes, firewall is definitely disabled.  I'm assuming the web admin for the firewall isn't lying. :)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »
hmm... Well I'm all out of ideas.  I've had my fair share of problems with LMCE but I can say this was one thing that just worked.  The only time I get what you're getting is when I try to access the orbiter while it is being regenerated.

You may have done this already and it maybe pointless but at this point I would delete the orbiter, reload, restart the core, create the orbiter, follow the progress in the orbiter page, give it another ten minutes after that has completed, reload again, restart the core, then try again. 

Sorry dude...

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 07:03:07 pm »
hmm... Well I'm all out of ideas.  I've had my fair share of problems with LMCE but I can say this was one thing that just worked.  The only time I get what you're getting is when I try to access the orbiter while it is being regenerated.

You may have done this already and it maybe pointless but at this point I would delete the orbiter, reload, restart the core, create the orbiter, follow the progress in the orbiter page, give it another ten minutes after that has completed, reload again, restart the core, then try again. 

Sorry dude...

I'll give all of that a go.  And, no worries - I'll just reinstall.  My previous MD problems were fixed after moving to a new snapshot.   Maybe I have to do that again for the orbiters.   :-\