Author Topic: Basic NAS questions - what's the correct installation method?  (Read 10765 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Basic NAS questions - what's the correct installation method?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 01:36:23 pm »
Sorry pigdog, could you expand on those two things please?

- Don't use username/password - no authentication required.
Are you referring to the windows share itself here? Remove the username and password in both the NAS admin page (or the user itself?) and in the LMCE admin page?

- Use username/password with smb.conf parameter.
Are you referring to /etc/samba/smb.conf on the core? Do I edit smb.conf, or am I changing the username/password to something that is already in smb.conf?

My smb.conf is attached by the way.

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:03:41 pm by purps »
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 04:11:04 pm »
OK, I tried removing my user from the NAS, and removed the username/password from LMCE web admin, and after a reset LMCE has access to everything EXCEPT the livetv folder in "/home/public/data/pvr/Windows Share-Volume_1 [107]". When I try to do a chmod on this folder, it says permission denied.

LMCE can write to "/home/public/data/pvr/Windows Share-Volume_1 [107]" however! Just not the livetv folder itself! Any clues?

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:13:30 pm by purps »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:39 pm »
Hi purps,

In LMCE no webadmin username/password and no lanman in smb.conf.

In DNS volumes are read/write and user groups all.

This might have some ideas - http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,8626.0.html

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:25:43 pm by pigdog »

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:15 pm »
Still no luck.

I formatted the NAS, and restored it to factory settings. I restored LMCE to a previous backup that has not been anywhere near a NAS. The NAS has no password set. smb.conf on the core is default. MythTV still cannot store live TV on the NAS.

If I chmod -R 777 the NAS via /mnt/device/107/public, it works straight away, but after a reset it stops working correctly again.

What is strange, however, is that everything else is still writeable; the only thing that is no longer writeable after a reset is the livetv folder i.e /home/public/data/pvr/Windows Share-Volume_1 [107]/livetv

Why does the chmod -R 777 command not stick for the livetv folder, and only the livetv folder? But works for everything else?

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:00:59 am by purps »

Andanotherusername

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:37 am »
I did not read all the posts, because I just wanted to post what helped me with my LMCE and Openfiler NAS problems. The user on the NAS needs to be in the group "public", and this solved various problems for me (LMCE Admin website no access & mythtv write/read problems. Mythtv on LMCE is in public group). This is required for Openfiler, but it might help you as well.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:17 am »
I assume you are talking about adding the username for the NAS share to the group "public" on the core? Or do you mean make a group called "public" on the NAS, and add the user to that?

Currently I don't actually have any user set up on the NAS, or any password set; surely this can't be the problem if I don't have any user set up, because everything is open?

Also I'm not sure this explains why my chmod -R 777 command doesn't stick for the livetv folder.

Cheers,
Matt.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:26 am »
OK, it appears to be working now. Big thank you to Thom for helping me understand the ins and outs and ultimately solve the problem.

Initially I set up a username/password on the NAS, and in the permissions settings for the share, selected the "only this user" option. That gave me the permissions problem across the whole NAS. A chmod -R 777 temporarily sorted it, except for the livetv folder (it would appear that myth was doing something to this folder after a reset). Interestingly(!), if I tried the chmod command again, permission was denied on this livetv folder.

So based on the advice on this thread, I tried with no username and no password on the NAS, and selected the "all users" for the permissions, and again no joy, some problem, but didn't have the same permissions problem when I tried to reapply the chmod command. Still no good though obviously.

After seeing some strange things with how the NAS was being mounted (strangely it had a "guest" username, plus a few other oddities permissions-wise), we tried to add a user "guest" to the NAS with no password, but the NAS wouldn't allow that. So we tried setting another arbitrary username/password as before, but this time I selected "all users" for the permissions, and it worked, even after a reset. No good from a security point of view (anybody on the internal network could access the NAS), but at this point I didn't give two poops.

What is really strange (I discovered this after I had left IRC), is that I changed the permission setting on the NAS back to the "only this user" setting, just to convince myself what the problem was, and it still bloody works LOL, even after several resets of both the core and NAS. I promise that I didn't do anything extra/different (I keep a meticulous log whenever I do anything with LMCE), and for some reason it still works as it should, which is good of course, but puzzling.

Still reading? Apologies for the saga, but I just wanted to get it all down somewhere in case somebody else has a similar problem. I'm not convinced these issues are unique to this NAS, because I had similar problems with a Netgear Stora that got sent back, but obviously I didn't look into the problems with that NAS in as much depth.

Cheers,
Matt.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 12:02:05 pm »
Hi purps,

Congratulations!  Great work.

Cheers.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 11:57:31 am »
I have the same problem with Freenas. I added
Code: [Select]
force create mode = 0777
directory mask = 0777

to the Auxiliary parameters of the share.

Not really a proper solution.....

anyone knows a better way to fix this?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:23:09 pm by Esperanto »