Author Topic: flash player issue  (Read 2555 times)

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
flash player issue
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:54 pm »
I have a new MD on 8.10 and when I want to install flash player to watch youtube I can not do that since adobe only have for ubuntu versions 9.04+.

I tried

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
but it said I already have the latest version.

Earlier when flash player was available for older versions on adobes site I know I got it to work. Someone who knows how I should get a working version?

regards

F1forHELP

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: flash player issue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:31:50 am »
From memory I downloaded the .tar.gz for Linux from Adobe.com, extracted it, and moved it to /usr/pluto/diskless/##/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so because

dcerouter_1019065:~# ls -l /usr/pluto/diskless/##/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     37 2011-07-04 23:21 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin

dcerouter_1019065:~# ls -l /usr/pluto/diskless/##/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 2011-07-04 23:21 /usr/pluto/diskless/83/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin -> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

dcerouter_1019065:~# ls -l /usr/pluto/diskless/##/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12110428 2011-04-13 11:30 libflashplayer.so

With multiple media directors, I would perform the work on the DCERouter and change the /##/ to your actual media director numbers.

Standard disclaimers apply / YMMV

Joseph Hume
F1 for HELP

F1forHELP

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: flash player issue
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:49 am »
One idea that just floated to the top of my head as I was reading my posted reply, with multiple media directors why couldn't you symlink from diskless/##/.. back to a 'master' file so that updating one file would update all media directors simultaneously.

# ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/pluto/diskless/##/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Joseph Hume
F1 for HELP

Follow on: After issuing the above command and logging into a media director, it doesn't look like it will work because it appears to be a recursive(?) link.

root@moon44:/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin# ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       44 Sep  7 00:00 libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so             

Trying to make it easy on myself...

Joseph Hume
F1 for HELP                                                         
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:13:35 am by F1forHELP »