Author Topic: [SOLVED again] Telecom Setup with SPA3102 and Broadvoice  (Read 11342 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED again] Telecom Setup with SPA3102 and Broadvoice
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »
Edit 1 Sept 2011. My main error is easily seen in reply 5 under step 3. I thought I was configuring my ATA phone, but I mistakenly entered the info into the orbiter phone. That's bad. I wrote a tutorial that I hope helps anyone trying to set up an ATA.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Cisco/Linksys/Sipura_Analog_Telephone_Adapters

I'm having difficulty getting my phone up and running. Hardware is set up as pictured. The external network has yellow cabling. It goes from the DSL modem at left, to the wireless router, to the first NIC in the core (behind the pegboard). The internal network has grey cabling. It goes from the second NIC to the switch, then out to my devices. The blue cable goes from the switch to the "internet" port in the SPA3102. I've connected the ancient telephone to the "phone" port. The "line" and "ethernet" ports are not used.

I reinstalled LMCE with the latest snapshot yesterday. The hardware was connected as shown in the hope that the wizard would detect everything and lead me through the installation. Unfortunately I used the wrong username and password. Not sure if this is the root cause of my problems. I deleted the device and restarted the wizard. This time I used the correct password, but when I pick up the phone I just get a busy signal.
The LMCE admin page has lots of different screens for phone systems and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. The "phone lines" device does not have a number. I tried to edit and insert my number, but it would not save. Also, I'm not even sure if LMCE knows I'm using an SPA3102.

Any help is appreciated,

John

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:33:08 pm by twodogs »
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Telecom Setup with SPA3102 and Broadvoice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:57 pm »
Which snapshot did you use ... the conf files should be fixed as of 24255

But check http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,11851.0.html
for a possible fix

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »
Well, I thought about using the latest snapshot, but I figured I'd play it safe and use the tested and recommended snapshot. So I loaded 24098 from 23 June.
Probably easiest just to reload the latest snap with the fix included. Then I'll try my best to answer all the wizard questions correctly this time.

John
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:04:14 am »
There are later snapshots that work, bongowongo knows what's what.

FYI I am using snapshot 24164 and it works well.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »
I tried to load snap 24279, but did not get a working installation. I've just tried snap 24255 and entered the VOIP info correctly in the wizard.My phone line registered, so I think the first hurdle has been overcome.
Next problem is telling MCE that I have an SPA3102. It looks like it doesn't autodetect. When I enter MCE admin I see a phone device, but the template says its a softphone. I've been digging for information and found two wiki articles.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_SPA3102
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_spa-3102

The first article shows how to connect to a land line, so I looked at the second article. One of the first steps is to "Proceed with initial configuration via the administration page." I'm guessing this means the SPA3102 admin page, not the MCE admin page? So I connected my laptop to the ethernet port of the SPA3102 and entered 192.168.0.1 into the web address of the browser. Many screens with many, many options. I bought the SPA3102 because I heard it was pretty easy to setup, so maybe I leave most of these screens alone? Can anyone help steer me through this?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:34:03 pm by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:17 am »
Still looking for help on this. In repayment, I'll try to improve upon existing tutorials.

My main goal in all this is to save the $70 I spend each month on a phone I rarely use. I figured that a VOIP system could replace my landline, so I signed up with Broadvoice for only $11 per month. Obviously I can't plug my existing handsets into a computer network without an adapter, so I bought a Cisco SPA-3102.
I've been reading and chipping away at how to get everything to work. My current understanding is that there are essentially five steps.

1. Properly set up the home network
2. Create and configure the phone line (LMCE admin or wizard)
3. Create and configure the phone (LMCE admin)
4. Create and configure a FreePBX sip trunk (LMCE admin or wizard)
5. Configure SPA3102 (SPA3102 has a web-addressed admin page)

Step 1. Network

My modem, wireless router, LMCE core, and SPA3102 are all DHCP routers. I know LMCE likes to be the master of IP addresses – could the other devices be causing problems?

Step 2. Phone Line
This was created during the initial setup wizard after I loaded the latest DVD snapshot. Broadvoice was on the list, so all I had to do was select it. The wizard asked for username (Broadvoice phone number) and password (had to log into Broadvoice site and look in my account settings).

Looks like I need to uncheck the "prepend digit" box and change local number length to "7". I thought I had already done this. Denver has two area codes so 10 digits are required. Other that that, it looks like this all went smoothly.

Step 3. Phone
I looked at the following steps of the tutorial (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_spa-3102)
Log in to the LinuxMCE web admin. Go to Wizard -> Devices -> Phones -> Add Device (bottom of the page). For device template select Generic SIP softphone. Rename the phone to something like SPA-3102 Line 1 and hit update. Note the extension of the phone. You will need it later.
This is what I ended up with - looks like it is extension 200...

Step 4. FreePBX
As directed in the tutorial, I went to LinuxMCE admin and selected Advanced -> Configuration -> Phones Setup. That took me to the FreePBX window where I thought I would have to create a trunk, but I looked on the right of the screen and saw "Trunk SIP/broadvoice". I clicked on it and saw that it had been created by the initial setup wizard using the info from step 2 above. Looks like this went smoothly - I touched nothing.

Step 5. SPA 3102
It took me a while to access the SPA3102 admin menu. Unlike all the rest of the steps, this menu is not accessed from LinuxMCE admin. The manual said to enter address 192.168.0.1 into my browser, which surprisingly took me to the admin screen of my DSL modem. I had to get a laptop and plug it directly into the SPA3102 "ethernet" port to reach the correct admin menu.

The tutorial said to "Proceed with initial configuration via the administration page. Once you set passwords and locale settings, you can move to the next step." I couldn't figure this out. I think some VOIP providers supply customers with an SPA3102 and configure them with passwords, but I got mine from newegg. So I did nothing here but note that the IP and subnet were all zeros. Perhaps this indicates a problem?
Next was to configure the PSTN tab. I was not trying to get my landline to work with the SPA3102, so I did nothing here.
Finally, I was to configure the "Line 1" tab.
Click the Line 1 settings.

* Line Option Set to enable.
    * Sip Settings
          o Make sure the port is set to 5061
    * Proxy and registration
          o Proxy: the ip address of your core.
          o Register: Yes.
          o Make calls without registration: - Not tested but set to yes.
          o Answer calls without registration: Not tested but set to yes.
    * Subscriber Information
          o For Display Name I put 'Line 1'.
          o For user id I put the extension I created for this phone (see Step 1).
          o For password I put the password for the extension (the extension number by default)
          o For 'Use Auth Id' I chose no.
I did all of this to the best of my ability as shown in the next two pictures.

End Result
I hope I've gotten farther down the path to a dial tone, but I'm still getting a busy signal just like I always have.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:58:16 pm by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:53:00 am »
hmm...the first thing that comes to mind...why is your spa3102 in a different subnet than dcerouter. are you sure they can talk to each other? give it an address from the same subnet and then try again

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:05:36 pm »
I'm not exactly sure how and where to specify a subnet. I thought I was supposed to leave the "router" settings of the SPA3102 as is (set to DHCP). The router "Status" tab is shown in the post above. The next pictures show the remaining router tabs of the setup menu.

I tried to dial out on my orbiter soft phone in order to test the Broadvoice phone line setup. I had no mike or headphones, but I thought I could call my cellphone and get it to ring. No luck here either, as shown. Also, I notice that FreePBX has one IP phone online - I guess this is my orbiter phone, not my SPA3102.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:40:14 pm by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »
What I mean is the IP-Address of your spa3102...all you screenshots show that it has 192.168.0.1 and that is wrong. Does it retain this address when connected to linuxmce? if so then for some reason it doesn't get a proper IP-Address via dhcp. You could try an check in webadmin->network->dhcp leases, whether or not the device shows up there with a proper lease. if it still doesn't show, try giving it a static ip address from the segment linuxmce uses (192.168.80.x).

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 03:25:32 pm »
It works! Thanks for your help Maverick, you were right about it not having an IP address. I turned everything off, then restarted the core, then restarted the SPA. Sure enough, it got an address and registered itself. So I did not have to assign any address and I'm still using DHCP. See the pics below and note the current IP address, netmask, gateway, current time, and registration state. Also, I think the 192.168.0.1 address simply accesses the SPA admin screen.

These 2 pics show the working setup.

These 2 pics show the same screens before I got it to work.

system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:25 am »
I thought I had solved my telecom issues, but no such luck. When someone calls in, the orbiter telecom screen pops up with the correct caller ID, but my attached hard phone does not ring. I can dial out fine, but just can't receive calls. I think the problem is probably my FreePBX setup, or possibly the SPA3102. Any phone experts out there? We disconnected our land line when I thought I had the VOIP working. The wife is pissed.
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
Definitely not a phone expert, I haven't got mine working either, but I just wanted to mention that I have two setups inside my hard phone, one for LMCE, and one specifically for the VOIP provider, both of which can be independently disabled/enabled. This way I can flick between them with relative ease and avoid the wrath of SWMBO (at least from the point of view of the phones).

Who is your VOIP provider?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:07 pm »
Its Broadvoice. I actually tried that yesterday - connecting the phone directly to the DSL modem in order to cut LMCE and Asterisk out of the loop. The B-voice setup instructions tell how to download and install an automatic configuration file that did not work (big surprise). Tech support was unavailable (bigger surprise). So, even though the LMCE setup is more complicated, it seems like the automated scripts are getting me farther down the path to a working system. I reconnected the phone to the core and now at least I can dial out. Which is why I'm still alive - the wife is a mean Polynesian woman who beats me.
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:50 pm »
If you will be using only broadvoice, the spa3102 is not needed.
The spa3102 is an ATA and will only make sense if:
1) you need your old POTS and broadvoice - in this case you will have 2 trunks.
2) you will use your old POTS and broadvoice - ONE trunk, and in this case, the dial plan and all configuration will be done in the spa3102 and the spa3102 shall configured in lmce as SPA3102 and there is a very good wiki.
In my configuration i do have the spa3102 as 1 trunk for my POTS and 2 other SIP trunks (sipgate and voipcheap). This setup is not supported by the developers, but i do have it working, and so, the spa3102 is only used for POTS support. And of course, i had to build a dial plan to get it all working as i wanted to. Does not seems to be your case.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:37:31 pm by pw44 »

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »
We have an three ATT cordless handsets with an answering machine base that we used with our POTS and want to keep. My understanding was that I needed an Analog Telephone Adapter to connect the ATT base to the VOIP system. I chose the SPA 3102 because there was documentation in LMCE and because I planned to keep the landline as a backup until I figured out VOIP. But now my landline is gone, so that feature of the SPA3102 will be unused. If there is an easier hardware solution that doesn't break the budget, I'd be all over it. Any Ideas?
Speaking of budget breakers, I looked at the Cisco 7970. This could do double duty as an orbiter, but they cost $200 and I would need three of them to replace my handsets. Ouch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:36:58 pm by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101