Author Topic: UI2 Buttons - Can they be disabled?  (Read 3524 times)

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
UI2 Buttons - Can they be disabled?
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:08:45 am »
Is there a simple way to disable certain buttons on the UI?  For instance, I'd like to disable (or remove) the 'Setup Wizard' button on the Main UI Advanced menu tree since it is in a spot that is easily clicked when trying to click on the Advanced or Computing button.  I'd really like to just have the Advanced button have Computing, Advanced, and Power.  All of the other button functions are under the Advanced Sub-Menu page.  It sure would keep accidents from happening, such as the wife or kids clicking the wrong one and starting off an issue that I have get involved with.  I have the same issue with the Climate button since I will probably never use it, would like to use that space for things like Internet Radio bookmarks.  I figure the Climate button is a bit harder, but can the pop-up menus be customized?  I couldn't find anything on the webadmin or wiki about it.

Thanks,

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: UI2 Buttons - Can they be disabled?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:12:30 am »
In short, not without opening Designer and modifying the designobjects in question. There is plenty of documentation on this.

However if you do this, we ill not allow you to check in changes to the Designer repository to the master database.

-Thom

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:19:33 am »
I'm assuming that it would also get over-written by future updates as well, based on your comment.  No worries.  I'll put something the feature request section, as it would be nice to have some level of customization ability.

Thanks

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:14 am »
tmwillet,

local changes that you to your database will never get overwritten by updates, as long as you do not do a new install.

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:15 pm »
That's good to know.  Thanks!

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »
Is there a simple way to disable certain buttons on the UI?  For instance, I'd like to disable (or remove) the 'Setup Wizard' button on the Main UI Advanced menu tree since it is in a spot that is easily clicked when trying to click on the Advanced or Computing button.  I'd really like to just have the Advanced button have Computing, Advanced, and Power.  All of the other button functions are under the Advanced Sub-Menu page.  It sure would keep accidents from happening, such as the wife or kids clicking the wrong one and starting off an issue that I have get involved with.  I have the same issue with the Climate button since I will probably never use it, would like to use that space for things like Internet Radio bookmarks.  I figure the Climate button is a bit harder, but can the pop-up menus be customized?  I couldn't find anything on the webadmin or wiki about it.

Thanks,

Yeah we've made basically those changes in Dianemo's 'RedLine' UI skin which is our standard default skin shipped with the current release. We in fact protect the 'Advanced' screen  with a PIN so that it can be protected from those who don't need to access it! Early on during our initial user testing we realised that many of those button create a support 'nightmare' as family members click on stuff and create havoc!!

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk