Author Topic: Observation: DVD's that can cause issues on the core  (Read 11132 times)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
Observation: DVD's that can cause issues on the core
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:06 am »
Every once in a while, I will insert a DVD that will not play and I'll get the "missing LIBDVDCSS" error, but I know it's installed.  The funny thing is, that when I load subsequent DVD's they take and extremely LONG period to load (No LIBDVDCSS error) and the system appears choppy (video, press eject button on dvd and it takes up to 2 mins to eject).  Have not noticed any network, hdd or other affects of this, just things really seem out of place/choppy/slow.  It usually takes restarting the Core to get things back to normal.  Just an observation for everyone.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Observation: DVD's that can cause issues on the core
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:00:06 am »
Which DVD's are you putting in?

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:02 am »
The first was Crouching Tiger and then D.L. Hughley and there were others, but those two stand out.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:31:21 am »
Try to reinstall

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »
Every once in a while, I will insert a DVD that will not play and I'll get the "missing LIBDVDCSS" error, but I know it's installed.  The funny thing is, that when I load subsequent DVD's they take and extremely LONG period to load (No LIBDVDCSS error) and the system appears choppy (video, press eject button on dvd and it takes up to 2 mins to eject).  Have not noticed any network, hdd or other affects of this, just things really seem out of place/choppy/slow.  It usually takes restarting the Core to get things back to normal.  Just an observation for everyone.

What make of drive do you have? Have you run regionset on your optical drive to set its default region?

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:49 pm »
Have you run regionset on your optical drive to set its default region?
Sorry for hijacking a bit (just trying to understand how things work and having trouble ripping some dvd's)
but what is the relation between setting a default region to your dvd-drive and libdvdcss2 ?

br,
Raymond
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:42:58 pm by RayBe »
When you were born, you were crying and everybody else was laughing.
Live your life so when you die, you are laughing and everybody else is crying.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »
Sorry for hijacking a bit (just trying to understand how things work and having trouble ripping some dvd's)
but what is the relation between setting a default region to your dvd-drive and libdvdcss2 ?

br,
Raymond

Well we have found that with some brands of drive not having a region set at all causes rips to fail. I don't have any hard data on the correlation but we always set the region now as a precaution.

We also always avoid Panasonic manufactured drives as they have firmware that seems to work even more restrictively than usual.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:47 pm »
My burner is ASUS.  I just bought a load of these end of last week.  I will try and reburn the movie also look into the region.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:09:31 am »
some specific types of copy protection or DRM will cause those kind of errors too. no amount of changing drives will fix that.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:51 pm »

br,
Raymond

As Andrew said, we found most drives currently made (if not all of them) want a region to be set even to properly operate with region-free DVDs. These changes in behaviour always catch us by surprise. I have an old DVD drive that even supports being set to ALL the regions at once (a thing that newer drives don't accept) and it doesn't care what region is set to operate.

Most of the drives we encounter these days want the region to be set, but they don't actually enforce it. But we found at least a make that "kind of" enforces a match between the region you set and the region of the DVD and will make you go crazy trying to understand why discs that don't match the region behave the way they do (in one case we encountered "short" rips: there were no errors but the drive lied and said the size of the DVD is a lot smaller than it really is).

It's a minefield as far as I can tell.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:00:07 am »
All good info and I really appreciate your feedback.  Thanks for the great job you guys continue to do.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:57 pm »
The only thing that raises an eyebrow for me is choppy playback/delays to eject.

That to me suggests something else... like a crap DVD player with a bad alignment weak laser. I cannot stress enough the usefulness of a decent DVD player on your core. I used to have all of these problems until I moved to plextor. All of my problems went away... well... except Disney DVDs and a few others.

I did an experiment with every DVD drive I had in the closet... Asus drives, which as memory serves are in fact made by panasonic, did terribly.
LG does well
lite-on not well
sony performed well
Nothing matched the plextors for reliable playback/ripping.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:22:25 am »
At one point I bought a number of lite-on drives and they all failed after about 6 months of use.  As a matter of fact, just replaced one with the ASUS.  I will give the other models a try and see what type of life and recordings I get from the .

Follow-up question:

I see many programs out there for making backup of dvd's, however, none extract the files to the Linuxmce format of .dvd.  What program can I use to do that ?

Currently the files are in folders in their RAW format and when I copied a folder to my NAS It would not play, but it will on my Windows PC.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 02:38:09 am »
The .dvd is just a rename of .iso     

Dennis

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:57:30 am »
Interesting, I feel like a jackass!!! 

So In my DVD folder for each movie, I have a number of VOB, IFO and BUP files.  Do I need to covert these to .ISO ?  somehow ?