Author Topic: system and config buttons on orbiter?  (Read 3668 times)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
system and config buttons on orbiter?
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »
How do you all prevent curious friends, family, and idiots from reloading the router, regenerating orbiters, and/or rebooting your system?

One of my dumb ass friends was at my house Yesterday, I left him alone in the living room for 5 minutes and he managed to start a orbiter regen, entered the md setup for the living room MD, got scared and canceled the setup, forced a reload (he started a regen of all orbiters), then rebooted my core.  Some how he didn't interpret the words "reset the core/hybrid" as a serious button that shouldn't be pressed.

How do you all handle this?

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: system and config buttons on orbiter?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:16:52 am »
How do you all prevent curious friends, family, and idiots from reloading the router, regenerating orbiters, and/or rebooting your system?

One of my dumb ass friends was at my house Yesterday, I left him alone in the living room for 5 minutes and he managed to start a orbiter regen, entered the md setup for the living room MD, got scared and canceled the setup, forced a reload (he started a regen of all orbiters), then rebooted my core.  Some how he didn't interpret the words "reset the core/hybrid" as a serious button that shouldn't be pressed.

im not sure of existing facilities to handle this, but we have (shhh dont tell anyone) started working on a redesigned orbiter and this is certainly something to consider!

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:19 am »
Hi klovell.

Sheezus, sounds like your "friend" needs a lesson in not to touch other people's shit.

But in the mean time...

Try going into the web admin, in Advanced > Privacy > and look at those submenus

You'll find options to restrict orbiter access to specific people with a PIN #.

As I said, not ideal, but it will be dealt with in the future.

-Thom

purps

• If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:54:08 am »

Break their effing fingers.

I remember once I had some friends round to watch a film, and by the time I had made the tea, they had completely stopped myth from working. Spent all day trying to fix it, and never got it working again. I had to reinstall in the end.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
For this reason I do not have friends.
What a story.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:05:30 pm »
Wow,

While at the same time this does provide useful information on how to fix this system and make it better, it's breaking my heart that it's so easy to send this system into oblivion.. What the hell are these guys doing to break the system so spectacularly?

-Thom

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »
My experience is

Lack of proper quick response of the UI
Sometimes things take to long, and are unclear.

99% of users are impatient.

purps

• If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:21 pm »
Wow,

While at the same time this does provide useful information on how to fix this system and make it better, it's breaking my heart that it's so easy to send this system into oblivion.. What the hell are these guys doing to break the system so spectacularly?

-Thom

I'll tell you what it was with myth - you know how you scroll through the options with up and down, and then change things with left and right? Well, my mate had been ploughing through and changing things willy nilly like an idiot, not realising, and stopped it from working like that. Not the system's fault, although I must say, I do find the system to be a lot more stable/robust now, more than ever (810 beta).

I will however say that on more than one occasion, I have accidentally reset the core from orbiter through an inadvertent button press. This is just carelessness though; the button is already in the "advanced" section.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 08:51:09 pm »
He didn't really break anything.  For some reason my stb completely disappeared from the list of av devices in web admin and the orbiters but the media scenario was still there in web admin.  Also, on the orbiter when I pressed the more button my tv would turn on and switch to the antenna input.  It was an easy fix though, I readded the device, reloaded, unchecked the old stb media scenario, re-sorted the scenarios, and finally did a full regen.  She's all back to normal now but still a pain in the ass. 

Good to see this will be addressed and other people are running into the same issue.  I'm a little disappointed in myself since I'm pretty big on security and locking down these types of openings. I didn't see this coming at all.  I just got my wife to comfortable using the orbiters so I don't want to throw another step at it just yet.  I think if she had to log in she'll just stop using the orbiter.

I agree that patience is one of the bigger problems.  There are 3 areas in the house where the wireless coverage is weak at best, when my wife is at the orbiter in thouse areas she'll push a button 2-3 times then get pissed off when everything happens all at once or it stops working.  She just doesn't understand that the wireless is weak in those areas so it takes longer for the orbiter to communicate with the core.  I'll also add not knowing what to expect.  I have a webdt 515 orbiter and an MD in my kitchen but they are located across the room opposite from each other.   My cousin is over one day, got curious and pressed the Hulu button.  I saw no harm in that, he's computer savy... Well, all he got was a remote on the webdt and he didn't notice the tv behind him turn on so he hit the power button on the orbiter and pressed hulu again.  All of a sudden he lost his damn mind and started pushed random buttons.  Some how he figured this was a good idea.