Author Topic: Issue running LinuxMCE on ESXi  (Read 6102 times)

evilecho

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Issue running LinuxMCE on ESXi
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »
Hello all,
   For a while now I've been running LinuxMCE on ESXi, and it runs great. Except for one thing, when ever I am in the LinuxMCE VM on the vSphere client, single mouse clicks are interpreted as double mouse clicks. Is anyone else out there running into the same issue? Also, when should I install the VMware Tools on the VM, before the apt-get updates, after the updates or after linuxmce installer script? Or does it even matter?

Thanks.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Issue running LinuxMCE on ESXi
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:05:17 pm »
I was going to virtualize my core but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I have it pretty well planned out though.  I was going to setup a core only to avoid interface issues with the gui.  I planned on installing vmware tools after "apt-get update" and before the linuxmce install script. 

I'm not saying this is right, this is just what I was going to do.  My procedure for setting up servers and clients has always been to update the OS before any other piece of software.  I'm pretty sure that might be an industry standard.  It also makes sense (to me anyways) that with the vmware tools installed linuxmce can use the virtual hardware to it's full potential, so the tools should be installed before linuxmce.

Hope this helps.

evilecho

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:03:45 pm »
I have a question klovell..... when you are setting up just the core.... do you just stop the wizard after you setup the house?

daballiemo

• Guru
  • Full Blown Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:37 pm »
I am running LMCE on a different platform being KVM. I have not encountered the double click issue. There is one addition I did for the VM LMCE machine, I added a touchpad as input device that made the response of the system to mouseclicks much better (less lag and more accuracy).

rgds

Han
HP N40L12.04 KVM with virt LCME8.10/10.04
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - Samsung LE 26 (1360* 768)
MD: M2NPV-VM dual core AMD 64/3800/2Gb/NV6150 - Samsung UE 55 C8700 (full hd, 3d)
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - LG 32ld350

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:46:15 am »
I have a question klovell..... when you are setting up just the core.... do you just stop the wizard after you setup the house?

Sorry dude, didn't see this.

Read this post http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10148.0

Apparently there maybe problems with setting up a core only install.  I planned out a test system but just never got around to creating the VM.  I use Vmware also so please post back your findings.

Harry the Satman

• View Profile
Re: Issue running LinuxMCE on ESXi (I use VMware ESX 4.1)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:20:51 pm »
Hi all,

I have been following LinuxMCE since 2007, but never came round to setting up a unit. Mostly a time issue :o(. But I feel I just need to take the plunge. Instead of putting it of because I am not sure if the hardware would do the trick, I just gonna do it ;o).

I have my VMware ESX 4.1 with Vcenter 4.1 up and running. Still looking into the View Connection option to improve streaming issues. But Rome isn't build on one day either, right?

Now here's the thing. I see some of you have installed this on ESXi. As far as O know, this is the same Linux based platform as ESX4.1. Correct? I still haven't figured out the entire LMCE setup as I want it. I have by Dreambox PVR600 as a part of my "joe Average" Home Theatre. I first wanted to try to make a DVB-S server, that could have all my subscription cards (read my posts elsewhere on this forum), but this seems to be a less doable solution. So now I use a card server, and can connect one or more satelitte receivers in my home. But I guess I will remain dependable on a Dreambox type solution for now. Unless somebody comes up with a better solution.

My question for now basically is: I created a VM with 2 nics. Just for testing. Default settings to see how LMCE responds to the drivers. I downloaded the 810 from h__p://linuxmce.iptp.org/release/LinuxMCE-8.10-rc1.iso. I uploaded the ISO to the VM datastorage, and use the image as boot DVD. No OS is found... I downloaded Kubuntu 810, and followed the same procedure. Boots and installs OK. On the LMCE image, I see that the root contains 2 .exe files... Is this also a windows version? It also contains linux folders. Anyway, I can not boot from it, so I wonder if I need to download another image?

Next step I will be investigating is how to set up a core, so the kids can watch TV from their PC on their rooms, without the need of investing in TVs, and other expensive equipment. No need for superb picture quality. They watch youtube and DVDs, and they are very happy with the quality. I wonder if it can be done to set up a VM core..... I welcome your feedback :o)

Thanks for now,

The Satman

Harry the Satman

• View Profile
Re: Issue running LinuxMCE on ESXi (I use VMware ESX 4.1)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »
Ok, md5checksum error... I'll do a new download.

I just came to think on one issue I mentioned in another post, where I refered to the Dianemo system. LinuxMCE (and Dianemo) are a fullblown system, with lots of bells and wistles. But I am mainly intersted (for now) to stream live satelitte TV 2 multiple devices at the same time.

It is here I came across the discusion MythTV vs VDR, where it was said that VDR is the only solution capable of running a "multi-seat" server. Iow, streaming multiple channels simultanious. Doing a search on this topic resulted in a few links to "VDR+NEWCS+CCCAM". And basically, this is what I need. But I love gadgets, and like the additional features of LinuxMCE.

Does anybody have experience with regard to this topic?

Regards,

Edit: after a second download and md5 test, again error. AHA!!! The official download page still has the link to the rc1 download. Not the final download.... Just so you know ;o). Downloading final version now.

The Satman
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:08:19 am by Harry the Satman »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:15:42 pm »
I'm sorry but unfortunately we cannot discuss conditional access module emulation and card server topics here..

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Harry the Satman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:16 pm »
Hi Hari,

I am sorry, you are right. Please re-read my message, but forget the conditional access module emulation question. The concept remains the same. If I was to receive only FTA, and have multiple TV's at home...

And then I quote myself again ... :

"It is here I came across the discusion MythTV vs VDR, where it was said that VDR is the only solution capable of running a "multi-seat" server. Iow, streaming multiple channels simultanious.

Does anybody have experience with regard to this topic?"

Harry the Satman

• View Profile
LinuxMCE on VMware ESX 4.1
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:33:45 am »
Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but will start here :o).

Managed now to download the final iso, error free. Installed it on VWware ESX 4.1. Kubuntu popped up. After install, I found the LMCE installer on the desktop. Activated the installer, needed to run it 2-3 times (due to some errors), but it finally came around. Now I am looking at the main orbiter. So far so good.

Indeed, as Evilecho described in the post dated July 23 2011, adding a room actually adds 2. I can + or - 2,4,6,8,..... Is there a way to fix this, or can I edit a conf file to fix it? (edit: I found out how to change this from the webadmin interface.)

Now, my main test will be to try to configure this core on VmWare. I have only a basic server, and need to look on what hardware to add, and how VMware will deal with it. Like soundcard, DVB-S2 tuners, etc. I know there are several issues on PCI pass-through, but have found that USB-over-IP works just great as well. Not sure what my options are here.

Any good advice to setup a basic testing unit?

PS: Is it possible to install VMware tools once LMCE is up and running? How to get to the command line interface?

Regards,

The Satman
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:35:11 pm by Harry the Satman »