Author Topic: HDMI Via Denon A/V Receiver  (Read 6582 times)

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
HDMI Via Denon A/V Receiver
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:39 am »
Sorry guys that I am having so many problems.  Thanks for all your help.  I have a Zotac Ion N230 that is working as a media director for a Visio TV via HDMI.  Both the audio and video seem to work ok.  I have a home theater that has a Epson Projector and a Denon 2311 A?V receiver.  I take the same MD that is working with the Visio and move it to the home theater.  The video portion works fine but there is no audio.  Again, this is using the HDMI input on the receiver.  I have tried several different inputs on the receiver with no luck.  Video good but no audio.  Alsamixer is fine and I can take the media director and plug the hdmi cable back into the visio and both audio and video work.  Is there a problem with audio via hdmi and the Denon 2311?  Any help will be appreciated.
Randy

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: HDMI Via Denon A/V Receiver
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:22:34 am »
Hi,

What is the model of the Epson and how is it connected to the home theatre/Denon?

i.e. via HDMI, etc.?  Can you include a wiring overview?

Such as  ION->HDMI->Denon->HDMI->Epson whatever model#

Thanks.

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:44:37 am »
Thanks for the response Pigdog,

The epson is model 8350 with two hdmi inputs.  Only one is used coming from the denon receiver.  The blueray disc is connected to one hdmi input on the denon and the blueray works great with both audio and video over hdmi.  Here is my attempt at wiring diagram.

Denon Blueray>hdmi>Blueray input:|
                                                    | Denon>hdmi>Epson 8350                 
            Zotac Ion >hdmi>Aux input:|

Hope this helps some
Randy

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:17 am »
what happens when you exchange the input from the Denon Blu-Ray player with the Zotac?

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 05:57:46 pm »
Thanks for responding, when I substitute the media director for the blueray I get video but no audio.  Checked the setup in the denon and it appears to be ok.  Tried using analog inputs and digital but no joy.  Probably cause the audio on the MD is set for hdmi.  Its all very curious. 
Thanks,
Randy

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:05:00 am »
Hi,

Just to verify...

When you take the HDMI cable from the Blu-ray player output which is in turn connected to the Denon 2311 AVR [Audio/Video Receiver] BD HDMI input (which works and does both audio/video)...

...and then you plug that HDMI cable into the Zotac N230 HDMI output...

...you only get video and no audio?

What is the Brand and model of your Blu-ray player (ie. Sony BDP-S370, LG 2000, etc.)?

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »
Thanks for the help.
It is a Denon DBP-1610 blue ray player.  I am at a loss as to what is causing this to happen.  Must be something in setup or a sync. problem with HDMI on the 2311CI receiver.  I also tried another Ion N230 media director without success.  I just wonder if anyone has this setup working. 
Randy

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 03:12:52 pm »
I have a regular first gen ASUS ION going into a Denon via HDMI video, but I don't use the HDMI for audio. I use the coax for audio.

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:53:51 am »
try upgrading alsa, apt-get install alsa-modules-2.6.27-17-generic
thats what i had to do to get hdmi audio from my acer revo.

Posde: I also have hdmi for video from ion to denon 3310 and toslink  for audio in my livningroom.
My screen is going black for about 5 seconds everytime i start any media, is that happening for you as well?

BR Daniel
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:59:15 am by pointman87 »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 05:17:31 am »
no.

and upgrading alsa won't help him, as HDMI sound is working for him, if he attaches the ion directly to the TV, if I read correctly

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:04 am »
and upgrading alsa won't help him, as HDMI sound is working for him, if he attaches the ion directly to the TV, if I read correctly

Sorry didnt read the first post as well as i thought. I tried to change audiooutput to hdmi to my denon reciever and it works, i have my MD to the DVD input and input mode and decode mode set to auto on the denon.

BR Daniel

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering what the audio out settings are on the Denon Blu-ray DBP-1610 for example: PCM out @ 48khz or whatever

and then what the audio output is set to in the N230.

It's possible the output on the N230 is set to something that the Denon AVR 2311 doesn't support or that particular audio option (like DTS or something) hasn't been enabled on the Denon 2311.

Cheers.