Author Topic: New Core/Hybrid machine (hardware) need opinions  (Read 6196 times)

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New Core/Hybrid machine (hardware) need opinions
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:25:21 am »
Motherboard:  Asus M4N78 PRO

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz BOX

RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz, Matched pair XMS2 with Heat Spreader, TWIN2X4096-6400C5, Unbuffered, 5-5-5-18

HDD: WesternDigital 320GB 7200rpm 16MB Cache SATA-II Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS

Additional NIC: Asus Gigabit PCI Card NX1101 10/100/1000

Case:  ATX/ITX Micro Tower Desktop Hantol HCD21BK w/ 500W

i can get this machine for around $400 which is great so i need some opinions for the hardware if someone has used this components for a core/hybrid

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: New Core/Hybrid machine (hardware) need opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:12 am »
I personally would get an Intel NIC instead of an ASUS.

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:28 am »
I personally would get an Intel NIC instead of an ASUS.
The problem is that i cant find Intel NIC here , there are the ASUS ,TP-LINK, Belkin, Trendnet and Gembird and it seems to me that the ASUS one is the best and most expensive

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »
Realtek works, just make sure it's different to the onboard one, or you may suffer from the PCI ID overlap issue (although this can be fixed with some jiggery pokery, it was just beyond me personally). I bought a really ancient 10/100 one, and use that for the external network, and use the onboard gigabit one for the internal network.

Also I don't think all the RAM can be utilised, think max is 3 GB. I would buy a matched (2 x 1 GB) pair, see if that meets your needs, else upgrade with another 1 GB stick at a later date.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »
Realtek works, just make sure it's different to the onboard one, or you may suffer from the PCI ID overlap issue (although this can be fixed with some jiggery pokery, it was just beyond me personally). I bought a really ancient 10/100 one, and use that for the external network, and use the onboard gigabit one for the internal network.

Also I don't think all the RAM can be utilised, think max is 3 GB. I would buy a matched (2 x 1 GB) pair, see if that meets your needs, else upgrade with another 1 GB stick at a later date.

Cheers,
Matt.

you can install the PAE kernel to use it all, i did the and was using 12 Gigs of ram

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:56:40 pm »
I got these nics from amazon, if its possible for you:

In the core LMCE internal network:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMVM6S

In a md, to avoid the issue I was having with the nvidia driver for an onboard nic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXWWBE

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:42:23 am »
I got these nics from amazon, if its possible for you:

In the core LMCE internal network:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMVM6S

In a md, to avoid the issue I was having with the nvidia driver for an onboard nic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXWWBE
That's not an option for me.
1.They are pretty expensive plus shipping they will cost me half the price for the core/hybrid
2.Like i know Amazon is not shipping to my country
3.Why it should be Intel?
4.In the end i have 10/100 NIC on the core i use right now and it is working great and i will use the same card in the new one if this one doesn't work

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:21:40 am »
[..]
3.Why it should be Intel?
[..]

My reason for suggesting the Intel NICs is: I know they work. If you have other cards that work well, go for it. For me, getting an Intel nic, is a no brainer at something like 20-30EUR for a gigabit nic.

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:33:57 am »
My reason for suggesting the Intel NICs is: I know they work. If you have other cards that work well, go for it. For me, getting an Intel nic, is a no brainer at something like 20-30EUR for a gigabit nic.
If i find Intel i will get Intel ,but i spent a lot of hours searching for Intel NIC and non of the 20 biggest pc stores in my city have Intel NIC

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 11:20:45 am »
Where do you live that they don't sell Intel NICs?
I just can confirm that Intel NICs work very well with every OS. I have four in my ESX, two in my Core, one in my NAS, ...

Nicolai

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »
Where do you live that they don't sell Intel NICs?
I just can confirm that Intel NICs work very well with every OS. I have four in my ESX, two in my Core, one in my NAS, ...

Nicolai
I live in Macedonia.
I know they are the best under Linux ,but i've had a problem few months ago finding a Intel NIC for the servers where i work and this will be bigger challenge than that because this is not corporal it is private.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:37:20 pm »
Shipping from Germany to Macedonia is around 15-20EUR. You might want to search outside of your home country for stuff. Sometimes it is less expensive to get stuff from abroad.

I bought a GC-100-6 from Smarthome in the US, because including shipping and taxes it was still 35-40% less expensive than buying from a European distributor.

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »
Shipping from Germany to Macedonia is around 15-20EUR. You might want to search outside of your home country for stuff. Sometimes it is less expensive to get stuff from abroad.

I bought a GC-100-6 from Smarthome in the US, because including shipping and taxes it was still 35-40% less expensive than buying from a European distributor.
Shipping from US if i find distributor who will sent the stuff here will cost me from 15-25$ thats about 10-17EUR which is less then European distributor coz shipping from UK cost me 20-25EUR ,and plus the parts are more expensive.About the last i think everytime is less expensive to get stuff from abroad then my homecountry at least for computer parts, here the companies work like how much Dollars cost the part in US it will be same in Euros and maybe 10-15% more expensive. (They make profit as hell)

Anyway i will find a solution if the NIC doesnt work under LMCE, what do u think about the rest of the components like the MB with integrated graphic card and the processor?