Author Topic: [SOLVED] Satellite TV Sound Workaround  (Read 2399 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Satellite TV Sound Workaround
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:34:52 pm »
I finally got around to moving the DirecTV DVR box (HR22) from the 2nd floor near the TV to the equipment rack in the basement. I will eventually try to integrate this fully into LinuxMCE, but she with whom I live is getting tired of my development efforts. I had to make it work immediately. For control, I merely changed the settings for the DVR and remote control from IR to RF. The range of the remote is good, allowing us to operate the DVR from the second floor couch. For video, I have a 25 ft component video cable running directly from the sat box to the TV.

The trouble is no sound. I ordered a 25 ft RCA cable to enable the tv speakers, but that will arrive next week and will sound like crap. In the meantime, the sat box is sitting right next to the Denon receiver in the basement. I connected the DirecTV audio to the Denon using the DBS input, but I don't know how to tell LMCE that this connection exists. What I would like to happen is the following. I use the tv remote to switch video inputs from DVI to Component (bypassing the core as fas as video is concerned). Then I control the sat box using its own RF remote (also bypassing the core). For sound, I would like to use the gyration remote to tell the core to change the Denon's input from V-Aux to DBS and to control volume. There is a working serial connection between the core and Denon.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Eventually I'll get a Hauppauge Colossus and an IR blaster to bring everything under control of the core, but this is postponed for reasons of marital harmony.

John

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:27:03 pm by twodogs »
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Satellite TV Sound Workaround
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:37:56 pm »
That wasn't so hard. I started the media wizard and added an AV device (DirecTV HR24). This device now appeared as an option from the main GUI (graphics user interface), but still no sound. I went into the admin screen under Advanced/Configuration/Devices and selected the new HR24. Then I configured an audio pipe from the HD24 to the Denon and selected DBS as the input. Then I did a quick reload router.
Now when I want to watch satellite, I select HR24 from the main GUI using my Gyration remote and I get sound. Then I manually change my tv from DVI to Component to get video.

John
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101