Author Topic: QOrbiter: Updated  (Read 65595 times)

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Need Experienced Developers for qOrbiter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 02:14:01 am »
Very nice work

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:26:40 pm »
We are to the point now where UI designers can get their feet wet too.
If you are not familiar with QML, anyone with webapp experience (CSS, JavaScript) should be able to pick up QML very quickly; I have this background and it has taken me about a week to get up to speed with it.
If you are interested in this but don't know how to get started, stop by on IRC to chat with myself or someone else about the environment requirements.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 08:57:57 pm »
You may be asking yourself 'why so quiet over there? Where are the updates?' well, lets just say all the low hanging fruit has been picked, and we are into the dicer parts of navingating the dce api. That being said, work has not stopped, oh no. Things are just taking a bit more time as experiments with how certain parts of the new orbiter will work going forward.

In other news, Merkur2k has been kicking ass on making a sexy skin! And it seems tschakeee has figured out a lot of meego quirks resulting in the beginnings of a skin there. We still need and android dev so stop by irc and say hello!!

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 01:04:58 am »
As a non-developer I just want to say thanks for the effort! I have downloaded the Qt developer packages from Nokia on several occasions but never had the time to actually sit down and learn it.

Just wondering, are you looking for a native android app (Python, Java?) or a jquery/javascript/HTML5 based front-end run in the browser?

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:49:58 am »
As a non-developer I just want to say thanks for the effort! I have downloaded the Qt developer packages from Nokia on several occasions but never had the time to actually sit down and learn it.

Just wondering, are you looking for a native android app (Python, Java?) or a jquery/javascript/HTML5 based front-end run in the browser?

We are currently looking at a semi-native app in that we are attempting to cross compile to get our android orbiter running. To make a truly native app, a lot of porting would need to be done of the dce library to a compatible facsimile in java. The cross compiling allows us to try and forgo the need to port all the libraries needed to java.

As far as a 'native' web type orbiter, i dont think anyone has tried but dont quote me on that!

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: QOrbiter: Something for everyone!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:41 pm »

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 09:04:57 am »
We are to the point now where UI designers can get their feet wet too.

How can we get our feet wet?

Karel

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:01 am »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

golgoj4 decided to use the Qt port to Java to bypass the need to port a LOT of code to Java, and so we could use a similar codebase, with all the advantages of the QML engine.

Personally, I see no need at all to have an orbiter running java code, as Qt is currently built for arm, mips, and x86 targets under Android, and runs faster than the JAVA code under the same platform (by virtue of it being native Linux code being run and marshalled via the JNI layer.)

My work on getting a Harmattan version of the QML for the Nokia N9/N950, as well as Jason's work on the Aeon skin shows the breadth of functionality of the engine; the results speak for themselves.

However, in the long run, we do need to dump X11 on platforms that need it now, and start working closer to the bare metal (OpenGL ES etc.). Qt5 will go a long way towards this, vastly improving performance for qOrbiter. I am hoping that Wayland will give us the compositor needed to solve the long term problems with today's media viewing under X11. (read this as, smooth framerate, no streaking.)

-Thom

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 06:12:02 am »
How can we get our feet wet?

Karel

Well at the start of this thread I list the information and wiki pages you need to at least take a look at, but here is the condensed version:

-Find a linux box, 1004 or better, that is somehow connected to a core via the network or inside a vm, whatever. Just needs to be able to find a core
-Download the qtsdk which includes qtcreator and follow the instructions
-do a checkout of the existing svn '/src' tree
-open the project and read the readme file. all the instructions are there (i think) but we have gotten it to run on androd (with other issues) mac osx and linux so you should be good to go. Dont get frustrated initially, there are some things to learn but essentially once its open and configured, all you have to do is press the green 'run' button and it will start.

i believe i listed the how to get started video at the start of the thread too.

Ask here or in irc if you have questions
and this is where we are today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pf-9PbneXE
golgoj4.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »
golgoj4,

Fantastic work. I have just reloaded 10.04 onto my core. Having trouble with web admin and my MD's. Once I get them working, can I use this as the orbiter on an MD? Just another thing to mess with in my spare time. :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 07:59:55 pm »
There is no window controller/manager in qOrbiter yet. We are debating whether to turn qOrbiter into a full window manager or not.

Want to take a crack at it?

-Thom

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »
wow the Aeon it's fantastic !!!!

Good Work !!!

Emanuele

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 08:16:52 pm »
Only if I want my wife to divorce me :)

I'm having a hard enough time getting 10.04 up and running since I was foolish enough to wipe out my 8.10 in an effort to see if I could get my AVHCD home videos to play.

I have an 18 month old and 2 month old at home so my spare time is very limited. I am still trying to get back to finishing my Sirius XM addition. If I get some time I would love to either work on this or the android port of it.

I am also looking to code a new media type "Home Movies" So I can go directly to them instead of normal movies etc.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 09:25:15 pm »
I am also looking to code a new media type "Home Movies" So I can go directly to them instead of normal movies etc.
I believe there is such a thing, only its called media sub type in the web-admin media browser. Mark the video as such and then select that type from the Type selector in the orbiter.

br,
sambuca