Author Topic: Whats up with the programming tasks?  (Read 10148 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Whats up with the programming tasks?
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:53 pm »
So we've got all these open programming tasks...yet i seem to be the only guy taking a shot at them. Im slightly confused by this. I have basically learned this stuff for linuxmce, no programming background. So um...where is everyone else? Yeah its an open source project and nobody is gettin paid and people have lives, but with all the discussion around 'collaboration' or 'improvement' there seems to be very little interest in putting in the work.

Currently in the svn there's the DCE Browser, and the QML light switch. Both examples of DCE devices that work and were created recently. Combine that with the documentation on the process and im really just confused. I have no intention of stopping my drive to constantly improve the system. It would just be nice if others jumped in to assist. And seriously, please dont tell me your not a coder. Neither am i. Yet im almost done with my 1st pass of a QML based orbiter. All it takes is ganas as my HS history teacher used to say.

We have more than a couple bugs which are being squashed thanks to a dedicated few who have been squashing the crap out of em day in and day out for 810, we could use the help. I say 'we' when i've only fixed like one thing, so please dont think im filing myself under the list of people who get things done in that area. I just would like more involvement from more than the 5 people that do the majority of the lifting now. C'mon guys, jump in!

So, whats up with that guys?
*put on fire retardant suit* ;)

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Whats up with the programming tasks?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:47 pm »
Seems like golgoj4 spent too much time with TSCHAK. golgoj4 now even has the same texan accent...

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:51:00 pm »
No, just starting to understand the view. Consider this sept, it will be 4 years playing with LinuxMCE, ive gone from being a bitchy user demanding shite, to digging into the code, to learning what i needed to so i could fix stuff. And I know there are people with much more experience than me.

As far as Texas, my family was asked to leave by some guys in White Outfits, so i really doubt ill be gettin a Texas accent ;)
* golgoj4 goes to find a bug to squash before possy asks 'what he did today'

-golgoj4 :)
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:10:03 pm »
Bugs need to be fixed for sure....   The programming tasks are 'new features' predominantly...  Is there not a feature freeze on?

Posde msg to you on June 5, 2011: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9812.msg81838#msg81838

J.

ps.  I don't disagree with you golgo, I even went so far as to do the work for an 0810 splash screen.  But it's a feature and I believe it is more important is to stick to the feature freeze than to add new bugs.

BTW, I am currently in the early stages of playing with a new feature...  an inotify client on my NAS.  The goal is to have an inotify client inform update_media of changes so it doesn't have to poll locations that an inotify client is monitoring...  And of course maintain polling for locations that cannot be monitored by inotify.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
A new management approach is needed.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

- Einstein

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:40 pm »
Just a quick note: Yes, we are in feature freeze.

This does not mean, people can't develop.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:22:44 pm »
A new management approach is needed.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

- Einstein

Can you explain this more please?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:21:29 pm »
I would suspect he believes that management is the key to attract developers.

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »
I would suspect he believes that management is the key to attract developers.

br Hari

I don't have the answer, but clearly some adjustments are needed and I'm sure if you ask the right questions and listen, some fresh ideas will surface.

Why don't we track down the large number of devs who have come and gone over the years - we could ask them why they left. Why don't we ask some prospective developers for their brutal honest opinion? Those in charge here have to be ready to listen to the answers though.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »
hari,

it is amazing how good your intuition is ;)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
Hey I am trying as hard as I can.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »
I don't have the answer, but clearly some adjustments are needed and I'm sure if you ask the right questions and listen, some fresh ideas will surface.

Why don't we track down the large number of devs who have come and gone over the years - we could ask them why they left. Why don't we ask some prospective developers for their brutal honest opinion? Those in charge here have to be ready to listen to the answers though.

Well, the thing is, we arent hiring per se. So the question to ME (and i stress only me) is do we want developers that need to be 'sold' I mean, if they cant see whats in front of them and how they can improve, do we really want a sales pitch?

As far as opinions, i think i can sum them up.
-People aren't nice (something i disagree with but ive heard it before.)
-They dont like the UI (which always made me ask why they didn't spearhead changing it)

and whilst im on the topic of UI's http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Qml_Ui

If there are anymore i'd love to hear about em

Please keep in mind, i could be completely missing your point. Just talking out loud.

Cheers
golgoj4

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »
This is, again, going into a direction which won't lead us anywhere helpful.

From my perspective, everything that needs to be said, has been said over and over in various threads throughout the forum. Just search for manager and you should be able to find it.

I won't add anything to this.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »
This is, again, going into a direction which won't lead us anywhere helpful.

I've been thinking...
Perhaps we can explore a more positive direction?

I propose to work with those in charge to create and maintain a central page which concisely lists the LMCE manifesto, agreed-upon general (high-level, non-specific, non-detailed) design goals, along with progress indicators. Unlike trac, the page would serve as useful to uninitiated potential developers who want to see, in a centralized place, that the there is a consensus among existing developers with respect to high-level project goals, before making the decision to invest their own time. Think of it as marketing material. This exercise may also serve as useful to existing devs as it could help identify any areas where consensus is lacking.

I propose to make no suggestion as to what the goals SHOULD be, I merely ask that the goals that are given to me be the true goals that the project intends to pursue.

Do I have the project's blessing to undertake such a thing?

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »
There is no management. There cannot be by virtue of the medium. Do what you want. Those who maintain and hold licenses will accept or reject your work. If that hurts your feelings, go do something else.

I want this project to exist. I am a pretty good manager. I could not have managed this project into existence.

A poor workman blames his tools.

It is not the fault of "management" that you aren't doing your job.

That goes for me too.

*I'll also tell you something else... if you develop something brilliant, and integrate it properly... and execute it flawlessly... it will make it in, feature freeze or not.

Of course there is little risk of me being a liar, because nobody is integrating things properly even on a pedestrian level. In my esteem there is a feature freeze because bugs need to be quashed. There are programming tasks because eventually there will not be a feature freeze, and the tasks are designed to teach you the fundamentals of the system, which should help you quash bugs.

Manage that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:03:51 am by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.