Author Topic: Setting up Media Director on a tablet  (Read 4138 times)

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Setting up Media Director on a tablet
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:13:27 am »
So far I used the LinuxMCE system to control lights, and motion sensing using a Hybrid (Core + Media Director) PC, some zwave devices and a Web orbiter (iPod). The experience is great so I off to the next step of adding video/audio features. For this I need to setup a Media Director.

I read the list of recommended hardware for MD. The requirements state that the MD should have a stylish case, be whisper-quiet, have low heat emission and be small and unobtrusive. This fits naturally with the features of today's tablet computers. Speaking of tablets brings to mind iPad, Playbook and Xoom.
There are already other tablets in the list of supported platform for MD (e.g. the WebDT 362).

I am curious if any of the tablets mentioned above can serve as an MD, given their other operating systems (iPad - iOS, Playbook - QNX, Xoom - Android, HP Slate - Windows 7).

Thanks,
Avner
Asus P5GD2-X, Intel i915P/G, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2.5GB, nvidia Geforce 8800, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up Media Director on a tablet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34:11 am »
I think other key features that your missing there are:

wired ethernet port (preferranbly gigabit) / netbootable
diskless (no hard drive needed)
nvidia chipset (8300 and up for vdpau support)
hdmi / dvi / vga output
dual-core or higher cpu

I suppose some of those key features could be debateable... but I'm sure most will agree those features (and maybe others) are a must and they kind of rule out any tablet

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:12:36 pm »
Avner,

the current suggestion for a media director are small Atom ION based systems. I use a first generation ASUS ION ITX mainboard as my main MD, and it works flawless including 1080p.

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:05 am »
diskless (no hard drive needed)
nvidia chipset (8300 and up for vdpau support)
hdmi / dvi / vga output
dual-core or higher cpu

From what I read:
* Having a disk is unnecessary but harmless. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Unsupported_Disked_MD explains how to setup a disked MD.
* The Motorola Xoom has an NVIDIA chipset.
* An hdmi / dvi / vga output is not required if using the tablet display
* The following tablets have a dual-core CPU: HP TouchPad, Apple iPad2, Motorola Xoom, BlackBerry PlayBook
* The WebDT which is in listed as an optional MD  has an Atom Z530 Processor with a single core and a network interface of Wi-Fi 802.11n with bandwidth of 100 Mbps

the current suggestion for a media director are small Atom ION based systems. I use a first generation ASUS ION ITX mainboard as my main MD, and it works flawless including 1080p.

Thanks. It is useful to know, which is the recommended choice out of the entire list of supported hardware for MD.

Avner
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:50:19 am by Avner »
Asus P5GD2-X, Intel i915P/G, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2.5GB, nvidia Geforce 8800, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:34 am »
Your first, and deal killing, problem will be the wifi. It simply isn't strong/consistent enough to do what you want.

They make awesome orbiters though.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Avner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:43 am »
Are there any preferences between the tablets (iPad, Xoom, Playbook, ...) for making an Orbiter?
If using a Web Orbiter, I assume that they all function the similarly.
Are there apparent advantages to use a native orbiter rather than a Web orbiter?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:22 am »
The one advantage that I see for a native Orbiter is speed and updates. The WebDT orbiter in my living room is way faster than the Android tablet I have, and, even more important, it ALWAYS shows the correct screen, where as ALL touch orbiter based systems I have used do need to have a refresh happen every now and than.

For example. after hitting TV, 9 out of 10 times, I have to hit refresh to get the TV remote.

It seems TSCHAK has a native Orbiter ported to the Archos9, but I am not too sure about the state of that effort.