Author Topic: Showtime Scenario still active after I have disabled  (Read 6993 times)

magner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Showtime Scenario still active after I have disabled
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:33:38 am »
Hi,

Is there a way to turn off showtime. I have gone to Webadmin / Show Devices Tree / My Scenarios / Lighting Scenarios and unticked the box for showtime.

I regen the orbitor and the Scenario has now disappeared from the orbitor screen, but still when I start a film my lights dim, and when i stop the film the lights turn up again.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking to disable this feature?

Cheers
Daniel
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:39:27 am by magner »

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Showtime Scenario still active after I have disabled
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:42:01 am »
Respond to events?

I think that doing what you have described literally just removes the button from the orbiters and nothing else (obviously you are aware of this, shutup Matt).

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

magner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »
Hey Mat,

Thought as much. Cheers.

Thing is I have not set up the show time event. It just appeared on my orbiter screen when I added a scenario for my ir TV.

When I go to events, there does not seem to be any event created for showtime that I can see.

Would you know what logs I would need to look at to gain a better understanding of what is going on?

cheers
Dan

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:24:42 pm »
the showtime scenario is one of the "canned" media scenarios; ie it is automatically created when there are media playback devices in a room.
you may want to edit the scenario using the lighting wizard and set all the lights to "unchanged".

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »
Hey Mat,

Thought as much. Cheers.

Thing is I have not set up the show time event. It just appeared on my orbiter screen when I added a scenario for my ir TV.

When I go to events, there does not seem to be any event created for showtime that I can see.

Would you know what logs I would need to look at to gain a better understanding of what is going on?

cheers
Dan

Go to respond to events and click advanced on one of them, see if that's what you want.

FYI I had this issue when I added my LG TV (newer model). The RS232 control did not work (only added in manually because it doesn't appear to be PnP at the moment), but the showtime thing happened to me also.

Through ignorance, I usually just look at the DCERouter log and nowhere else. Just in case you are not aware, there is a very handy feature in web admin that allows you to follow the log in a web browser! Just find DCERouter in the devices tree, select it, and then click "follow log".

Cheers,
Matt.

magner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:39:43 pm »
Thanks for the replys,

merkur2k I tried changing lighting wizzard to unchanged and also off. neither change the lights on event that keeps happening.

Just to clarify, this seems to occur when I exit the tv control Scenario screen.

Matt, how did you resolve the showtime issue? I went to respond to events. There does not seem to be any events created.

cant find any other places in web admin that allows me to change the status of showtime.

cheers
Dan
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:04:59 pm by magner »

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:22 am »
Just had a quick look in my web admin, and the way I "solved" it was by deleting the LG TV that I had added manually previously, as I never got that working anyway. I genuinely though I had done it in Respond to Events, sorry.

Anyway I would still be interested in the outcome of this, as I will need to add my TV back in at some point!

Cheers,
Matt.

magner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »
Thanks for the update Matt,

Just found this post, seems gtsupport has been having the same problems:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=11479.0

Thom has suggested looking at source logic.

"This is generated if it does not exist, by UpdateEntArea, which is the source for all the automatic logic. Look in src/UpdateEntArea, and the appropriate subsection if you want to see the logic used."

I have managed to find the UpdateEntArea file at /usr/pluto/bin/

when I try to open It with nano, I get unformatted DOS code. What software should I use to open and edit such a file? Is this the correct file to be editing?

Cheers
Dan

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:04:23 pm by magner »

magner

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:54:14 am »
Hi,

I am trying to take a look at UpdateEntArea located /usr/pluto/bin/

when I try to open, nano informs me file is in DOS format.

I am trying to copy the file onto a USB pen drive so I can take a look at it on my Ubuntu machine, hopefully converting into Unix format using dos2unix software.

when I try to copy file in terminal using:

cd /usr/pluto/bin/
cp UpdateEntArea /media/disk

i get

cannot create regular file `/media/disk/UpdateEntArea': Read-only file system

Any ideas how I go about taking a look at the file.

Cheers
Dan
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:10:35 am by magner »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:03:41 am »
/usr/pluto/bin/UpdateEntArea is a binary. It won't be of much help. surf to http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/browser/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/src/UpdateEntArea to take a look.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »
Can anybody supply idiot-proof instructions for disabling this showtime feature please? It just switches my lights off whenever I choose TV.

Cheers,
Matt.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:53:08 pm »
 ;D
Hey there. I may have an answer to your question.

There are really 2 ways to resolve this issue.
One completely removes the lighting function from Showtime event, or any event. This is kind of an ugly hack.
The other will allow you to further customize what it does, when the Showtime event is fired.

To start either way, to modify how an event is responded to, go to:
Advanced > Configuration > Scenarios     from the top of the webadmin:
Then in the left hand column, you will see a list of nested scenarios, the one you want to expand is:

"Scenarios for Event Handlers" and then click the "Watching: <insert room here>"

*** See image below ***

After that the window on the right will show you:

*** See image below ***

Here in this image we see it executes command 245, which is the auto-generated Showtime scenario for my Living Room.

You can either delete this command - Kinda hacky, but possibly not. Or you can modify that scenario by scrolling up in the current left pane, to "Lighting Scenarios" and modify the existing scenario.

Or, you can create a whole new lighting scenario. I did this option, because I wanted to create a lighting scenario that would only fire at NIGHT.
After creating this new scenario, I just changed the number in the "Watching - Living Room, Living Room" scenario, and then I made another one to do nothing with the lights, for use in DAY scenarios. I did this for both "Watching - Living Room, Living Room" and "Not Watching - Living Room, Living Room"

If you play with the scenarios and the call functions, you can do all kinds of crazy stuff.

But the short answer is option One. Either delete the command group from the "Watching - <insert room here>", or modify directly the appropriate Lighting Scenario from the same portion of the web admin page.

Hope this helps. I intend on doing a Wiki entry for advanced scenarios, while on Holidays next two weeks.

Best Regards,

Seth

".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »
;D
Hey there. I may have an answer to your question.

There are really 2 ways to resolve this issue.
One completely removes the lighting function from Showtime event, or any event. This is kind of an ugly hack.
The other will allow you to further customize what it does, when the Showtime event is fired.

To start either way, to modify how an event is responded to, go to:
Advanced > Configuration > Scenarios     from the top of the webadmin:
Then in the left hand column, you will see a list of nested scenarios, the one you want to expand is:

"Scenarios for Event Handlers" and then click the "Watching: <insert room here>"

*** See image below ***

After that the window on the right will show you:

*** See image below ***

Here in this image we see it executes command 245, which is the auto-generated Showtime scenario for my Living Room.

You can either delete this command - Kinda hacky, but possibly not. Or you can modify that scenario by scrolling up in the current left pane, to "Lighting Scenarios" and modify the existing scenario.

Or, you can create a whole new lighting scenario. I did this option, because I wanted to create a lighting scenario that would only fire at NIGHT.
After creating this new scenario, I just changed the number in the "Watching - Living Room, Living Room" scenario, and then I made another one to do nothing with the lights, for use in DAY scenarios. I did this for both "Watching - Living Room, Living Room" and "Not Watching - Living Room, Living Room"

If you play with the scenarios and the call functions, you can do all kinds of crazy stuff.

But the short answer is option One. Either delete the command group from the "Watching - <insert room here>", or modify directly the appropriate Lighting Scenario from the same portion of the web admin page.

Hope this helps. I intend on doing a Wiki entry for advanced scenarios, while on Holidays next two weeks.

Best Regards,

Seth

FYI - maybe it was just a coincidence but I deleted that "Watching: <insert room here>" event once and it caused serious problems for the rooms I deleted it for. 

The second suggestion works like a charm, create a new scenario and change the execute command for "Watching: <insert room here>" from what ever the showtime scenario is to the new one you created.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »
Thank you Seth and klovell, very helpful indeed.

At this moment in time I don't want a showtime event at all, but I don't want to delete it either, so I have put "00" in the field, in the hope that "00" isn't tied to anything, and that it will do precisely nothing. Seems to be working so far.

Out of interest... I understand this section executes a command, as you've explained Seth, but where are the details of this command stored? Or is this hidden deep in LMCE's belly?

Cheers,
Matt.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »
Thank you Seth and klovell, very helpful indeed.

At this moment in time I don't want a showtime event at all, but I don't want to delete it either, so I have put "00" in the field, in the hope that "00" isn't tied to anything, and that it will do precisely nothing. Seems to be working so far.

Out of interest... I understand this section executes a command, as you've explained Seth, but where are the details of this command stored? Or is this hidden deep in LMCE's belly?

Cheers,
Matt.

It's in the scenarios dude.  pick any scenario or create a new one and you'll see to the top left what scenario you have selected (indicated by a number).  What ever actions you define in the selected scenario is what is going to execute when that scenario number is called by "execute a command". 

I'm pretty sure that if you use the drop down for "Edit scenario using wizard" and choose "advanced" it will show you all the actions configured for that scenario from all categories (lighting, media...). 

Sorry if I misunderstood your question and didn't answer it.