Author Topic: Whats up with the programming tasks?  (Read 10145 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Whats up with the programming tasks?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 03:15:19 am »
I've been thinking...
Perhaps we can explore a more positive direction?

I propose to work with those in charge to create and maintain a central page which concisely lists the LMCE manifesto, agreed-upon general (high-level, non-specific, non-detailed) design goals, along with progress indicators. Unlike trac, the page would serve as useful to uninitiated potential developers who want to see, in a centralized place, that the there is a consensus among existing developers with respect to high-level project goals, before making the decision to invest their own time. Think of it as marketing material. This exercise may also serve as useful to existing devs as it could help identify any areas where consensus is lacking.

I propose to make no suggestion as to what the goals SHOULD be, I merely ask that the goals that are given to me be the true goals that the project intends to pursue.

Do I have the project's blessing to undertake such a thing?

You have my blessing to undertake such a task. I do think a page that describes where we are and where we want to go cant hurt anyone. And yes, trying to 'manage' and open source project can be like herding cats, but fuckin aye it doesnt hurt to try and not be spread out to the wind. Possy sorry if this has wound up as a re-hash, was hoping it would go in a positive direction. So far we have a one good idea :)

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 06:18:39 am »
I've been thinking...
Perhaps we can explore a more positive direction?

I propose to work with those in charge to create and maintain a central page which concisely lists the LMCE manifesto, agreed-upon general (high-level, non-specific, non-detailed) design goals, along with progress indicators. Unlike trac, the page would serve as useful to uninitiated potential developers who want to see, in a centralized place, that the there is a consensus among existing developers with respect to high-level project goals, before making the decision to invest their own time. Think of it as marketing material. This exercise may also serve as useful to existing devs as it could help identify any areas where consensus is lacking.

I propose to make no suggestion as to what the goals SHOULD be, I merely ask that the goals that are given to me be the true goals that the project intends to pursue.

Do I have the project's blessing to undertake such a thing?

I think what mainly would help is doing instead of managing.
Isn't this "manifesto" easy to do and partly in place on the wiki?

It is all communication, information has to be presented more easy for basic users and in the end dev's. I think the answer lies in the wiki.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 07:02:24 am »
I think what mainly would help is doing instead of managing.

You might be right bongowongo, my only point is that people have been saying this without achieving the desired result for at least 3 years.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:52 am »
Could you please make a new topic about it in users?
We can discuss it there?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:53:08 am by bongowongo »

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »
You might be right bongowongo, my only point is that people have been saying this without achieving the desired result for at least 3 years.

That's because there hasn't been enough doing. I'm guilty as well.  I have the skill set to help out, and while I have been digging in a bit, I haven't accomplished much.  There just has not been enough time for me lately with moving and renovating. 

I think what we need to have is some way for the management to know better what everyone is working on.  For example, right now I'm digging into the Insteon_PLM_DCE driver to try and make it work PnP and all.
I created a Trac ticket for my Insteon PnP script. Now, everyone can see what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks golgoj4, you have inspired me to keep working on it.