Author Topic: Radio Thermostat Publishes API  (Read 31562 times)

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Radio Thermostat Publishes API
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:52:14 am »
(links to follow)

Radio Thermostat just published the API set for their Wi-Fi connected thermostats. These thermostats work with all kinds of HVAC systems and can connect via Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, and Zig-Bee
Radio Thermostat has two models available the CT-80 ($250) and CT-30 ($140)

The CT-30 is also available for $99 at any Home Depot in the states as the Filtrete Mod#3M-50 and it comes with the Wi-Fi module.

It can be controlled via their web site, iPhone App, Windows Program, or API

I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to write the interface or how to allow the current interface to control the device.  Maybe some pointers as to which files to start with.  My knowledge of programming is limited but I can handle scripting. According to the opening paragraphs of the API documentation:

The Radio Thermostat API is an HTTP API that enables client programs to query the thermostat state, and to manage/control the thermostat operation. In the HTTP terminology, the thermostat will be a server that will respond to HTTP requests from client devices. The API is designed with a RESTful architecture in mind.
The API is expected to be used by a variety of client applications such as graphical interface applications running on Windows, MAC, or iOS devices. It can also be used by programs such as curl to facilitate control via non-interactive client applications. Further, the HTTP GET APIs can be exercised using a browser.
The Radio Thermostat API provides a set of operations on a typical thermostat device and has been designed to be independent of the underlying implementation of the thermostat.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Thermostat Publishes API
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »
Docs available here:
http://radiothermostat.com/latestnews.html
(under advanced technical information)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:07:31 pm »
I wonder who in his/her right mind is going to spend 140-250USD on a thermostat?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:00 pm »
look at the price of a merten RTR + BCU...

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

acald

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:31:38 am »
In the states Home Depot carries a version of this for $99 that is wi-fi.  It works alone or one can program to work with the api.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202352449/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:00:06 am »
hari,

Merten having stuff that is as expensive or even more expensive doesn't mean it make sense, does it. ;)

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:19:25 am »
OK, back to original subject, I just bought and installed the CT-30 from Home Depot, for my family's new home, and am thrilled with it, in it's originally designed role.

Will start investigating it's API for use with LinuxMCE as I have time, in the next days/weeks, and see what I can do with it (won't be much, as time is limited, and not nearly as much as my dev-skills...).

Anybody want's remote access, that can do more than I, is welcome to it...

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »
I just bought one of the Filtrete Mod#3M-50 thermostats and I'm going to begin work on a driver for it. Here is the ticket where I will track the progress:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1280

Cheers

Michael

sachavez3000

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:41:03 pm »
Hello I'm a new born MCE user (loving it) also using filtre m-50 (home depot 99) wifi is an advantage for me but privacy is a must... I will like to see an application to privately access my thermostat with MCE.  I will be following any progress.
Thank you.
Sergio.

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »
It is being worked on, but I've had to put it aside until my work importing from XBMC is finished.  It will be more difficult for me to find time to work on this as we get closer to the holidays, but I plan on having this driver ready early in the new year.  Keep an eye on this thread for updates, as soon as I have it checked in, I will let everyone know.

That being said, I do have a GSD template that reads the output of http://192.168.80.xx/tstat to a log file, next step is to work on the POST update function.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:34 pm »
How's this going? Any progress?

I asked on the Radio Thermostat forum about the MAC address range which should help to make this device plug and play
http://forums.radiothermostat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6059&sid=77484e069816bcdbfe24120ff79ffd4e

I bought the Filtrete version but don't have it set up yet

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:35:17 pm »
Getting there...

Polling thermostat for updates at: Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 -0500 1969
temp: 66.50
tmode: 1
fmode: 0
override: 0