Author Topic: Which ISO should I use?  (Read 4922 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Which ISO should I use?
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:30:06 pm »
Hi,

I have successfully setup a Plutohome Hybrid system and I can boot it. However, I have been attempting to connect my VIA EPIA 800 to the core to use as an MD -- but cannot get it to properly boot. The MD will aquire an IP address, and it will begin to boot...then starts a loop. Is this happening due to a difference between the two motherboards? My Core\Hybrid box is a 686 based hardware board.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Which ISO should I use?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:43:48 am »
Hi Mike

I guess your VIA EPIA has a Eden CPU, that is affected by the so called "CMOV bug".
I'm not an hardware guru, but I can tell you that this bug has to do with internal handling of CPU instructions. Eden is not a i686 cpu, but it identifies itself as such. The point is that it does not implement the CMOV opcode and this causes the execution of all sw compiled for genuine i686 to fail.

If you search this forum you'll find several posts related to this.

VIA EPIA equipped with Nehemiah processor work fine, because that CPU does implement CMOV so you can run all i686 sw on it.

HTH

Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Which ISO should I use?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 02:28:49 pm »
Is there any convenient solution to this problem (to fix something inside Bios or Epia mobo alone? ).

Basically under Pluto, one should compile i386 kernel and hack settings, but also I'm not sure if this would work.

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Which ISO should I use?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:51:51 am »
Thanks for the input Marco...I've ordered a Nehemiah board :)