Author Topic: RAID device causes symlinks throughout first level directories  (Read 6683 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: RAID device causes symlinks throughout first level directories
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 06:44:43 pm »
LinuxMCE was deliberately designed as an appliance, and we use one of the most complex autofs implementations ever made, to automatically mount media disks.

In short, you should have used LinuxMCE's facilities to deal with the RAID. You should dump all your media off, and reinstall.

Do not mess with fstab. Ever.

And actually for storage, we deliberately designed it so that you could just add NAS bricks onto the network to increase your storage capacity.

In short, you're thinking too hard. Stop it. Your previous distribution experience will hurt you here, as we have deliberately tried to make the system very automatic...and hooking things into fstab really screws that up.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:52:58 pm »
I would just remove the fstab entry for home, and see what happens on the next reboot.

robwoodward75

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »
I'll consider my hand slapped, and try not to meddle with your setup in future!

Although, as I use Kubuntu on my laptop, and I haven't found anywhere to create an NFS mount?  I know I could use Samba on both systems, but, it just seems a little odd to use an extra interface, where *nix systems have a very good system for seamlessly mounting drives across the network?!  (Hence the /export/home entry in fstab)  I assume your advice will be go the Samba route?!

I'll probably try as suggested, remove the mount point(s) from fstab.

If I reboot in single user mode, I should be able to unpack my original tar file which contained the base home drive directory structure (no data!), if all else fails, a complete rebuild over the weekend at some point, once I've made sure I've got things duplicated!

Thanks for your help and scoldings!!