Author Topic: Problems installing LinuxMCE on Kubuntu  (Read 2353 times)

LoanTracker

• First post!
    • View Profile
Problems installing LinuxMCE on Kubuntu
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:03 pm »
OK, I'm a newbie to Linux.  Used to be a Unix system administrator, but that was back in the 80's, so most of it is history.

I just built a computer with the following configuration:
ASUS P8H67-M Evo
Intel i5 2500K processor
8GB memory
2TB SATA HDD
650 watt PS
Card reader
Blu-Ray writer
CoolMaster Storm chassis
2nd NIC card

The purposed of the system is to control the majority of the home we are planning to build (so I over-built the system to give me room to grow).

I have installed Kubuntu 10.4 LTS and I am in the process of downloading the updates to take me to 11.04.

Here's my problem.  I have downloaded and burned LinuxMCE 0710 and 0810 every way possible, but cannot install the software.  I insert the disk in the drive, reboot the system and get the Kubuntu screen asking if I want to install LinuxMCE.  When I select install, it pops up the Kubuntu screen and everything stops.  The unit is still running, but no install occurs.

I've read online and watched install video's for two days now with no success.

Can someone give me an idea as to what I am doing wrong here?  I downloaded the MCE images with BitTorrent and burned them with InfraRecorder and PowerISO.  Neither one works.

Thanks in advance for your help.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Problems installing LinuxMCE on Kubuntu
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:08:46 am »
download the latest snapshot for 0810. do NOT dist upgrade it past 8.10, it will not work!

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Problems installing LinuxMCE on Kubuntu
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04:10 am »
Download the latest working snapshot of 0810, check http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Snapshot_overview

or if you really want 1004 LTS
take this page into account
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1004

Follow all steps to the letter.